The Student Room Group

England v Colombia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KWABENI_TMI
Abit annoying how the match is gonna be played on ITV :/ but hope we pull it off

ITV brings bad luck 😂
Original post by JMR2018
ITV brings bad luck 😂

it does not make a difference its just coincidence but i guess the pattern will continue for now.
Inb4 Radamel Falcao masterclass.

Spoiler

Reply 43
England v Colombia

is

tea v coffee
really hard to say for this one.

Top form England beat top form Columbia...

but when was the last time England played their best in a knockout game? more then 10 years ago? Certainly we have been dire since 1990 in world cup knockout games.

That's why I worry about the effect of the Belgium game. Obviously its ended up putting us on the much much easier draw, but its also changed peoples mentality. If we had beaten Belgium we would be 3 for 3, on a high, and going into the next game with a good winning streak building. Instead we are now going into the next game knowing that anything but a win means that this world cup is a disaster - we would end with 2/4 losses, and only managed to beat two really bad teams. The Belgium game adds a lot of doubt, it makes the other two wins less impressive, and it questions whether we can do anything against a half-competent side.

The question is - has this mentality shift, which is clear from the public and the press, has this got into the players as well? How will they hold up mentally going into the game?

Thats why I am finding it hard to predict and think of the result - this squad clearly has enough talent and ability to win this game. The players are in decent form, great form for some, the squad clicks well, there is no drama etc. All of it seems good, except the questions around their mental strength and ability to handle the occasion. And those questions are only bigger now after the Belgium game, and because of the potentially great opportunity ahead of them.

An early goal would be great - ill be ******** it if we go behind though.
Reply 45
Original post by fallen_acorns
really hard to say for this one.

Top form England beat top form Columbia...

whats top form England? Ive seen top form Columbia, a team that has battered(not just beat) some of the best NT teams in the world in france, brazil etc. what is top form england? never seen it.

player for player Columbia has a better midfield and central defence. England have a slightly better striker and fullbacks but overall Columbia should win comfortably. Englands defence wont be able to handle Columbia high tempo pressing game.
Cross my fingers for England, Kane for the top scorer!

By looking on the teams which are left on England's side, England has very good, maybe the best chances to come into semi-finals, yeah even in the final. If England does not enter the round of last four at this world cup - with this match mode and squad - England will never do it!
It's gonna be a tough game, but if England win, they are bound to get to the final!
This could lead to a repeat of 1966!
Reply 48
Original post by jahen6
whats top form England? Ive seen top form Columbia, a team that has battered(not just beat) some of the best NT teams in the world in france, brazil etc. what is top form england? never seen it.

player for player Columbia has a better midfield and central defence. England have a slightly better striker and fullbacks but overall Columbia should win comfortably. Englands defence wont be able to handle Columbia high tempo pressing game.

lol when did this happen? I just went through their last few years here, not a single example of that. Their results vs Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina in qualifying: 1-1, 2-2, lost 1-0, lost 2-1, lost 3-0, lost 3-0
I really can't say but both are going to give it everything so it could even go to penalities.
I am so going to laugh when Colombia win
Columbia 6-1
England to win 3-1.

Kane
Maguire
Lingard

Cuadrado
Why is it that so many people can't spell Colombia?
Reply 54
Can't wait for deluded England fans to finally shut up. All I see is the BBC and ITV hyping up Kane as if he is world class but come on this is England's first proper game in the world cup and if they win only then will my opinion change.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by e^iπ
Can't wait for deluded England fans to finally shut up. All I see is the BBC and ITV hyping up Kane as if he is world class but come on this is England's first proper game in the world cup and if they win only then will my opinion change.

Kane is world class though.
Reply 56
Original post by Wilfred Little
Kane is world class though.

Could be better if he spent more time training and less time playing Fortnite :smile:
It’s coming home!
Original post by e^iπ
Could be better if he spent more time training and less time playing Fortnite :smile:

You think Kane skips training to play computer games?

What an odd post.
Reply 59
Original post by Pom_Bear
It’s coming home!

I agree, the England team are indeed coming home tonight.

Quick Reply

Latest