The Student Room Group

Is Kane really world class

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e^iπ
I know it sound immature but yes.

There's an expectation for top players to dribble last multiple defenders and score and even score the occasional screamer from outside the box but Kane's goals are just so sleep-inducing. That being said I think he will win the Golden boot with the amount of penalties being given away this year.

None of this makes any sense.

RvN - was he world class?
Reply 21
Original post by e^iπ
Yeah, thought Ronaldo could cling on but I was wrong. Neymar isn't really that impressive tbh and I think the quality of the "top" players nowadays is lower than that of the "top" players 5-10 years ago Messi, Ronaldo, Xavier etc.

The only standout players for me at this world cup have been Mbappe and Cavani.

Well no one is as good as peak Ronaldo/Messi but those two were probably the best two players in history.

Neymar is no.2, Cavani is decent but ultimately a bottle job, Mbappe could be unreal and could rival Kane, but at the moment Kane is the best in the world.
Reply 22
Original post by Louis.
Well no one is as good as peak Ronaldo/Messi but those two were probably the best two players in history.

Neymar is no.2, Cavani is decent but ultimately a bottle job, Mbappe could be unreal and could rival Kane, but at the moment Kane is the best in the world.

Really don't think there is a "best" player like there was with Messi and Ronaldo a few years ago, the players nowadays seem to be equally mediocre.
Reply 23
Kane is world class and Messi is still the current best in the world
Original post by e^iπ
With England going through to the quarters, there has been talk of Kane being one of the best English strikers ever.

Do you guys think this is the case, I understand he is still very young and has a long career ahead of him but don't you think it's a little premature to be labeling him "world class"?

It’s hard to say.

While part of me thinks that he’s clearly world class because of his 6 World Cup goals, another part of me thinks that he’s just scored so many because the team supports him so well. I mean, 3 of his goals were penalties, and one was an incredibly lucky deflection off a good shot from loftus-cheek. He’s not scored any particularly stunning goals, so maybe he can’t really be called world class.
Reply 25
Original post by johnny.snow
Really? He's pretty consistent.

He’s not serious. It’s an inside joke between the football circle. After his breakthrough season he was called a one season wonder. He then went on to have another world class season, and then another etc. It mocks people who thought that at the time, and those who think it now.

As for the OP’s question, Kane is world class for the sheer number of goal contributions alone. 127 goals and 17 assists in 175 games since the start of 2014/15. A goal every 112 minutes and a goal or assist every 98 minutes.
yes, he is. But not because of this world cup. The only thing world class he has shown at this world class he has shown at this world cup is that he is a world class penality taker - which is still great - 4/4 on the biggest stage, is very impressive.

Apart from that he has 2 goals an done lucky deflection, which doesn't quite put him up there with the best of the best.

But he is world class in general. You just have to look at his record for the past 3-4 seasons and its obvious. I was very skeptical of him when he first started.. but then he just kept on going.. one season.. two seasons.. three seasons.. the CL.. now at international level. He is not pretty or glamorous, but if you look at his results, and then compare him to other strikers, he is up there with the best of the best in the world, and that makes him - world class.

And all while playing for spurs, rather then a Barcelona, or Madrid.

Quick Reply

Latest