The Student Room Group

England v Sweden 3pm Saturday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MajorFader
Very risky tho, England barely won with penalties against Colombia today.

I'm no expert, but weren't England actually fairly dominant through most of the match? That goal at end by Colombia looked a bit lucky?

Also the refereeing luck was with Colombia, there should have been at least one red card against them for their dreadful off the ball attacking of our players.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'm no expert, but weren't England actually fairly dominant through most of the match? That goal at end by Colombia looked a bit lucky?

Also the refereeing luck was with Colombia, there should have been at least one red card against them for their dreadful off the ball attacking of our players.

Controlled the match up until the last 20 mins and first half of extra time.

Colombia's goal wasn't lucky, was a great attacking header tbf.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Controlled the match up until the last 20 mins and first half of extra time.

Colombia's goal wasn't lucky, was a great attacking header tbf.

Mina is very tall which helped him and yes, it was a good goal, but overall I think England deserved the win and with proper refereeing, Colombia would have been down to 10 or 9 men by that stage anyway. However, yes, it was a good goal.
Am I the only one who thinks England really need to start improving their headers? Maguire and Dier really should have put those ones into the back of the net, and Alli.

England just have not been able to create opportunities in open play and have someone to put it in. Sterling and Kane are the only ones who can do that which is why Sterling should stay. Lingard was silly with his dive too, could have scored but the problem is the team hasnt had to be in a situation where theyve had to score a goal like that
cant wait for the lols when england go out to Sweden
So, football experts, will we beat Sweden? Presumably they must be pretty good to have gotten this far, no?

If so, how will we fare against Russia or Croatia? Who is more likely to end up being our opponent, assuming we beat Sweden?

According to the FIFA World Rankings (so a somewhat unreliable but worth taking note of system), England are 12th in the world and Sweden are 24th. That said, Sweden are a team England always seem to struggle against. I think it'll be an easier game than the one against Colombia but we'll see.
(edited 5 years ago)
Mina is very tall which helped him and yes, it was a good goal, but overall I think England deserved the win and with proper refereeing, Colombia would have been down to 10 or 9 men by that stage anyway. However, yes, it was a good goal.

Agree.

Re: your first post, yes England can beat Sweden but could lose it also. Sweden beat Italy in the play offs to qualify. They're a solid team. England need to start scoring from open play and not just set pieces. Obviously different teams but England did beat Sweden in their last competitive meeting in 2012 after going behind.

Croatia are the favourites in their match vs Russia and should go through but as we've seen in this World Cup anything could happen.
Original post by rhaegar449
Am I the only one who thinks England really need to start improving their headers? Maguire and Dier really should have put those ones into the back of the net, and Alli.

England just have not been able to create opportunities in open play and have someone to put it in. Sterling and Kane are the only ones who can do that which is why Sterling should stay. Lingard was silly with his dive too, could have scored but the problem is the team hasnt had to be in a situation where theyve had to score a goal like that

Dier's was a bad one. He jumped about two inches off the ground.
first of all.. england just got lucky facing weaker teams. i swear its a dead end once they play france or belgium
Original post by aidenscottargh
first of all.. england just got lucky facing weaker teams. i swear its a dead end once they play france or belgium

I think most of us would take a final.
Original post by aidenscottargh

which would be in the finals... I do hope we win but I personally think if we are in the top 4 then that's an achievement, and we'll have grown by the time we reach Qatar by which time we'd be real contenders who'd be able to beat the likes of Brazil, France etc etc

Hell, final 8 is an achievement we can be proud of and sets us up strongly.
Reply 31
What a chance to get to the final of the world cup. It's so definitely possible

Just beat Sweden QF and Russia/ Croatia SF and we have a final on our hands.

Anything can happen in one game, a final, the whole nation behind the team

It's coming home
Original post by Wilfred Little
Dier's was a bad one. He jumped about two inches off the ground.

yeah :/ Maguire too imo was pretty easy, they need to work on the headers or get people who can actually head into the game.

I wouldnt even mind putting in Loftus Cheek just for that sake.
England vs Russia - now that would be an interesting match with a home team crowd in support.

Watching Putin present the cup to Kane - priceless!
Hopefully that match will get it out of my head bringing on Eric Dier is a good idea. Completely ruined the balance of the midfield and brought zero defensive stability in exchange.
And to think Sweden reached the qf without star men like ibra and henrik.
Columbia played dirty yesterday and they know it! Macguire needs to keep his cool sometimes though :rofl: his headers are pretty good - could've scored 2 goals if they hadn't gone above the net so he needs to work on strategy. Pickford needs to work on goalkeeping. Impressed with England's defending. However, it could go either way Sweden look like a good team :frown:

Let's hope England make it! :woo:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by hannah00
Better than the constant long balls against belgium

but continued poor performances from sterling

Yeah Sterling really irritates me it's like he runs down with the ball and does nothing afterwards he either goes down or he passes and the ball gets taken away by the other team.
Original post by AppleB
Pickford needs to work on goalkeeping.

What did he do wrong last night? :confused:
I can see either England 1-0 or this goes to penalties

Quick Reply

Latest