The Student Room Group

Movie Directing & Filmmaking

Hello everyone,

After completing a GCSE Media Studies 2-year course, media started to become my aspiration. I am looking firward in the movie directing and have a little experience already with amateur music video making. I am wondering if you guys interested in the same could give me any advice of stepping stones in that business (such as how to successfully create a short movie that looks professional).

Thanks guys🙃
Original post by Year11girl
Hello everyone,

After completing a GCSE Media Studies 2-year course, media started to become my aspiration. I am looking firward in the movie directing and have a little experience already with amateur music video making. I am wondering if you guys interested in the same could give me any advice of stepping stones in that business (such as how to successfully create a short movie that looks professional).

Thanks guys🙃

What's your education status? Starting A-levels in Sept or are you waiting on your A-level results?

There's a few options.

1) Get some volunteer experience or freelance. If you're under the age of 18, this might be really difficult. But your type of industry is very difficult to get into because 8/10 is all about who you know and of course, your location.

2) A-levels; Media and/or Film Studies. With a traditional subject. Perhaps English Lit, History or a science if you like your sciences.

3) University in Media or Film from a reputable university. If you wish to do film, then of course a Film degree is much more suitable for you, instead of Media.

4) Depending on location, talent and money, have you considered any film schools or academies? They cost a bomb and I would imagine very competitive.

5) Relating to 3 and 4: Complete a BA in Film and then you could apply to various film schools across the UK and do a MA in Film Making. This is probably the best way to get into the industry, whilst getting the required start up experience too. But as I said they are expensive and truly competitive.

So; complete your education to BA, save up as much as possible and gain as much experience as you can (this can include filming things for uni, being on the committee for a uni's film society), etc!

Good luck and in 10 years time, I hope to see a directional debut from you! :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply😃,

Wow, ok. I am 16 and have two options for next year. I can either do my A-levels which in my school doesn't offer any specific media related subjects and that could be a problem as I have heard from some when applying to university which require a grade from any media related subject. My second option is to study IB which offers me a subject called Theatre which is also fairly connected to media but it does cover some stuff about directorial concept and learning how to direct a play, so I am debating which one to chose. Anyways thank you for your time! Your reply was really useful to me😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending