The Student Room Group

Is it coming home for England?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, I'd love for England to win. We can get past Croatia with some difficulty, but the real challenge is the final. Even if we do get knocked out on Wednesday, it cannot be denied that this World Cup has been a major success and has surpassed the expectations of nearly everybody.
But the dream never dies, so COME ON ENGLAND!
Colombia is the only good team they have beaten so far, and that was after pentalties.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Disagree with all of this, there are often fine margins in football but that doesn't mean the games hinge entirely on refereeing decisions and deflections. Also penalties are not down to luck at all.

That's what you call Stockholm syndrome :wink:

How many penalties have England had? How many could they have had? What about other teams? You agree with every call made do you? And you are telling me those decisions didn't impact on the outcome of the games?

A well taken penalty isn't luck, nor is one that misses. But you see so many, so many, weak slightly-off centre penalties that are just awful yet the goalkeeper goes the wrong way and the commentators are full of how he 'hit that with confidence', 'kept his cool'. He didn't keep his cool - he got lucky! And now the entire game's outcome is different!
Original post by nexttime
How many penalties have England had? How many could they have had? What about other teams? You agree with every call made do you? And you are telling me those decisions didn't impact on the outcome of the games?

The question you should ask is are penalties incorrectly given or not given in every single game and the answer is no. Games do not hinge entirely on referee decisions.

A well taken penalty isn't luck, nor is one that misses. But you see so many, so many, weak slightly-off centre penalties that are just awful yet the goalkeeper goes the wrong way and the commentators are full of how he 'hit that with confidence', 'kept his cool'. He didn't keep his cool - he got lucky! And now the entire game's outcome is different!

Or he sent the keeper the wrong way?
2ds194.jpg
Original post by Supernova36
I’m one of the cynical ones :laugh:! I find it hard to be positive when you’re just always used to being let down... so much so, I don’t reslly even know how to act ... like when the won the penalties I was just frozen to the sofa in disbelief.

Looking at some of the scenes up and down the country (even at this stage), I do think the country will descend into absolute chaos if (I don’t even wanna say it )... if you know we do go further ... no one will go to work , the streets will be blocked , we’ll run out of lager :laugh:!

I’m trying to believe !

thats what I'm saying, we always get too ahead of ourselves when we haven't even won and we always jinx it as a result. people need to calm the **** down. and only really celebrate if we actually win the damn cup!
Of course I'd love it if we won. But not just because its England, also for Gareth Southgate. The hate he initially received when people found out he was going to be the next England manager was pathetic (but predictable) and the way everyone is slowly eating their words about him now is very predictable. Thats what pisses me off about this nation, we're so ****ing judgmental straightaway (like any of us even has a bloody leg to stand on) and two-faced. Everyones now acting as though they always had faith in him, well no you bloody didn't. I remember the comments and hate and mockery he initially got. But only now that he'd leading the team further than we've ever gotten in years, everyone is all 'oh Gareth is so great, always knew he'd be a great manager' yeah, did you hell!

So I'm rooting for this win more for him. This will be his 'what were you were saying about me?' kick in the nuts to all the people who judged him straightaway. He deserves it. and hopefully it will teach the English professional-moaners to actually try giving people a chance in life... but i won't hold my breath!
England are in the semi finals, we are gunna win, this is a very good year for us!

Quick Reply

Latest