The Student Room Group

Should I defer?

I’ve gotten into a really good university in London and get to study my chosen course. I’m confident that I’ll get the grades and will potentially get the chance to reselect the course at a University outside of London in a city that has a cheaper cost of living through adjustment.

The problem is money. I’ve been allocated the maximum amount of student finance (roughly £12,630 or something) but my rent is £8,619 (£169 p/w). This leaves me with about £4,011 to live on for the year (£78.65 p/w) and my course will require me to make purchases beforehand.

Now my family isn’t poor but ever since my dad left, my mum has had to deal with the expenses on her own and our mortgage takes a lot out of her salary (we’re working on moving). To cut this short, I don’t think I will have enough to live on and really don’t want to ask for money off of my mum. I would like to have a job but between the demands of my course, which will be coursework and exam loaded throughout the year, (50% of each is how I’ll be assessed) I really don’t want to end up with bad grades.

I’m thinking of deferring my entry instead so I can work this year and then go to university in 2019 but I’m not sure if I should or just go to another University through adjustment even though it might not give me the same opportunities that the Uni in London will.
Original post by wfruth
I’ve gotten into a really good university in London and get to study my chosen course. I’m confident that I’ll get the grades and will potentially get the chance to reselect the course at a University outside of London in a city that has a cheaper cost of living through adjustment.

The problem is money. I’ve been allocated the maximum amount of student finance (roughly £12,630 or something) but my rent is £8,619 (£169 p/w). This leaves me with about £4,011 to live on for the year (£78.65 p/w) and my course will require me to make purchases beforehand.

Now my family isn’t poor but ever since my dad left, my mum has had to deal with the expenses on her own and our mortgage takes a lot out of her salary (we’re working on moving). To cut this short, I don’t think I will have enough to live on and really don’t want to ask for money off of my mum. I would like to have a job but between the demands of my course, which will be coursework and exam loaded throughout the year, (50% of each is how I’ll be assessed) I really don’t want to end up with bad grades.

I’m thinking of deferring my entry instead so I can work this year and then go to university in 2019 but I’m not sure if I should or just go to another University through adjustment even though it might not give me the same opportunities that the Uni in London will.

I recommend adjustment or just taking a gap year. Maybe take the cheaper accommodation option. It depends on you.
Reply 2
I don't to you should defer, think it would be a mistake

Btw, if your in this predicament , why didn't u get cheaper accommodation?
Do not defer, if you know you are going to get in. I know people in similar situation that have regretted doing so, you are probably going to have to work harder than other, get a job plus do well in the exams. It is possible. Of course it will be hard but I would rely on my mum if I were to be in your shoes. You could still get a job but work less hours and pay her back slowly. Idk. Maybe there is financial advisers you can speak or you are going to have to compromise. But go to uni this year.
Reply 4
I read the reviews for some of the other accommodations and they seemed awful. The others were either under refurbishment, which would mean lots of noise as well as possible room changes or did not have a lease agreement that would cover the length of my 48 week course.

Also, the normal accommodation price is actually £205 p/w but I got it reduced by applying for the affordable accommodation scheme :/
Reply 5
Original post by MJ4545
I don't to you should defer, think it would be a mistake

Btw, if your in this predicament , why didn't u get cheaper accommodation?

[QUOTE="wfruth;78934670"]I read the reviews for some of the other accommodations and they seemed awful. The others were either under refurbishment, which would mean lots of noise as well as possible room changes or did not have a lease agreement that would cover the length of my 48 week course.

Also, the normal accommodation price is actually £205 p/w but I got it reduced by applying for the affordable accommodation scheme
Reply 6
Original post by Outofthisworld
Do not defer, if you know you are going to get in. I know people in similar situation that have regretted doing so, you are probably going to have to work harder than other, get a job plus do well in the exams. It is possible. Of course it will be hard but I would rely on my mum if I were to be in your shoes. You could still get a job but work less hours and pay her back slowly. Idk. Maybe there is financial advisers you can speak or you are going to have to compromise. But go to uni this year.

Did they regret not going, deferring or going? Thanks for taking the time to reply also.
They regret not going, there is someone in my part-time job, he has been putting off uni for 3 years but wish he had gone sooner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending