The Student Room Group

Stress caused by deferring

I've applied for university this year, but I've decided I want to defer because I want to take a year out to better understand what I want to do for university or if I want to do a degree apprenticeship. The problem is my course requires A B B grades but I got in with B B B grades, so I'm worried about if they'll still would allow me to defer.

I'm also not sure if I want to go to this university or course in particular. However, I feel a sense of uncertainty that if I don't take this place then it's possible next year will be more competitive and I won't be able to find a place especially since I got into a course with A B B requirements. I understand that the time to defer is growing shorter so any advice for my situation would be greatly appreciated 😊
Original post by NotNamedKeith
I've applied for university this year, but I've decided I want to defer because I want to take a year out to better understand what I want to do for university or if I want to do a degree apprenticeship. The problem is my course requires A B B grades but I got in with B B B grades, so I'm worried about if they'll still would allow me to defer.

I'm also not sure if I want to go to this university or course in particular. However, I feel a sense of uncertainty that if I don't take this place then it's possible next year will be more competitive and I won't be able to find a place especially since I got into a course with A B B requirements. I understand that the time to defer is growing shorter so any advice for my situation would be greatly appreciated 😊

The first thing you should do is contact the university concerned and ask whether you would be allowed to defer if you requested it. If they say yes, then you're sorted.

If they say no, you'd need to reapply for next year and might not get in with the same grades, then the safest option would be to join the course and see how you get on. If you find the course and uni suits you then stick with it.

If not, the see if you can transfer to a different course at the same uni (they normally only allow this very early in year one) or to the same course at a different uni (they normally only allow this at the end of year one, based upon your performance during that year).

If you decide that uni just isn't for you, then leave and make other plans.
Reply 2
All you can do is wait for the Uni to respond.

You can't do anything about this until they do - so step back, and stop overthinking it.
Original post by NotNamedKeith

Hi @NotNamedKeith,

Your first port of call should be your university contact them and ask what your options are regarding deferring. They’re the best people to advise you, and they may have other courses on offer similar to the one you’re currently thinking of.

If you’re not sure about the uni itself, could you go on a campus tour (if you live close enough)? Even if you’ve visited before, going with a fresh pair of eyes could be helpful and you may even get to chat with current students about the uni in general.

As others have said, if you do decide to go ahead and don’t get on with your chosen course, you may be able to change to a different course early on in your degree (your uni will be able to support you with this).

Hope you get on ok 😊
Amy
Official University of Suffolk Student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending