The Student Room Group

Lost 3 months of University and catching up

Hi there,

(I should clarify that I’m doing a degree apprenticeship)

I’ve lost 3 months of learning due to being sent to the hospital. So now I’ve missed three assessments that was to take place during December 2023 and January 2023. And right now they’re teaching courses that have exams in May 2024.

I’m given two choices: to defer the year, or to continue the year and do the missed exams on end of July 2024 and do the current course’s exams in May 2024.

The current course being taught is already 6 weeks in since the date it started.

Is it reasonable to come back to university this year?

My justification for continuing the year is that we only go to university once a week, for 6 hours. And so, to catch up for the current course being taught currently, I can binge watch the lectures.

As for the missed exams during January 2024 and December 2023, I can do them end of July 2024 so learning them can be for later.

Basically I got whole month of April to catch up for the current course’s exams in May. And I got the whole month of June to study for the exams to take place in end of July as an extension for missed exams (for December 2023 and January 2024 exams).

What do you think? What would you do in my situation? Would you defer the year and graduate in 2028, or would you continue the year and graduate in 2027?

Thanks a lot.
@Gjee

It sounds like you have got the motivation to get all the exams done this year so if you feel like you can succeed, then you might as well get it done this year, when you're focused and energised. Deferring a year might make you feel less galvanised to get the work done.

I don't think you should worry too much about when you graduate (this should not be the deciding factor), what's more important is that you get a result you are happy with.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@Gjee
It sounds like you have got the motivation to get all the exams done this year so if you feel like you can succeed, then you might as well get it done this year, when you're focused and energised. Deferring a year might make you feel less galvanised to get the work done.
I don't think you should worry too much about when you graduate (this should not be the deciding factor), what's more important is that you get a result you are happy with.
All the best,
Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Okay, thank you for the reply, your reply gives me more confidence in continuing the year.
Honestly that's a really significant amount of time and assessments missed, and as you're on a degree apprenticeship you have your work commitments as well - when are you going to have the time to catch up on everything as well as keep on top of your current academics, amidst your work hours? I would suggest deferring so you can take the assessments when you're fully prepared.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly that's a really significant amount of time and assessments missed, and as you're on a degree apprenticeship you have your work commitments as well - when are you going to have the time to catch up on everything as well as keep on top of your current academics, amidst your work hours? I would suggest deferring so you can take the assessments when you're fully prepared.

Hi there, my manager said that they’ll give me the hours to catch up. And also, I got 16.5 annual leave and I can use those days to catch up with studies. Does this change your opinion or do you still recommend deferring? Thanks.
Original post by Gjee
Hi there, my manager said that they’ll give me the hours to catch up. And also, I got 16.5 annual leave and I can use those days to catch up with studies. Does this change your opinion or do you still recommend deferring? Thanks.

Honestly I still think it's better to defer. It sounds like the hours your manager is giving you won't be enough, and if you use all your annual leave for studying then you won't have any annual leave for annual leave purposes. It's important to have time off where you don't have to do anything academic or work related and just have it for time off!

The other thing is, what benefit do you gain from doing so? What do you lose by just deferring? They aren't going to pay you twice if you work twice as hard, so there's no benefit in breaking your back to try and do that. You also have a perfectly legitimate reason to defer.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly I still think it's better to defer. It sounds like the hours your manager is giving you won't be enough, and if you use all your annual leave for studying then you won't have any annual leave for annual leave purposes. It's important to have time off where you don't have to do anything academic or work related and just have it for time off!
The other thing is, what benefit do you gain from doing so? What do you lose by just deferring? They aren't going to pay you twice if you work twice as hard, so there's no benefit in breaking your back to try and do that. You also have a perfectly legitimate reason to defer.

The benefit I gain is that I get my graduate salary earlier 😂 the pay doubles when I graduate. But yeah, thanks for your input, I’m thinking of deferring now, everyone says I should! Including my academics coach and my friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending