The Student Room Group

Deferring year abroad

Due to unforeseen family circumstances (one of my parents is critically ill at the moment so cannot work) I will need to stay and work full time at home to help out my other parent pay rent. This means I will probably have to defer my year abroad. Has anyone deferred before ? and how was it dealing with the fact that I won't graduate with my friends or be with my friends in my third or final year? It seems like the most probable option at this point, but I'm so scared of all the uncertainty that comes with it.
Original post by mh1603
Due to unforeseen family circumstances (one of my parents is critically ill at the moment so cannot work) I will need to stay and work full time at home to help out my other parent pay rent. This means I will probably have to defer my year abroad. Has anyone deferred before ? and how was it dealing with the fact that I won't graduate with my friends or be with my friends in my third or final year? It seems like the most probable option at this point, but I'm so scared of all the uncertainty that comes with it.

Hi @mh1603

I don't think there's any proper advice to give someone who is having to defer a year of study for personal reasons. It's too subjective and there's no possible way of fully understanding the internal struggle you might be going through. And I say this because I've deferred in the past but the reasons weren't as difficult as the ones you're currently facing.

But I believe that everything happens for a reason and just because you won't be able to graduate around the same time as your friends, it should still be said that they will most definitely be supportive of your decision and have you in their prayers as you deal with your journey. That should create a sense of comfort in you, knowing that you have done well in your life to be deserving of people that genuinely care and worry about you.

I hope everything goes well for you!

Derrick
Reply 2
Original post by mh1603

Hi there! I was in your exact position this time last year! I had to defer my study abroad year because of health issues. It was a bummer at first and I talked to my friends a little less for a while because it hurt to be reminded of what I was missing out on; but I eventually came around and was able to be happy for them, knowing they'll be happy for me when I'm abroad, and would be able to get good advice from them when it's my time to go!
The uni continued to keep me in the loop regarding re-applying for my year abroad, and any possible scholarships I could apply for; and I'm so gosh darn happy to say that in 19 days I'll be flying out to Japan with 2 scholarships secured under my belt! I'm proud of myself for being patient and taking the time to focus on my health.

It's not an easy decision, but life is never going to be easy. Study abroad is gonna be full of uncertainty whether you go this year, or next year; but it will also be full of excitement and amazing experiences regardless of when you go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending