Vexper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The head of the Civil Service Fast Stream, Greg Hobbs, is on TSR answering questions this week - ask him anything here >>

Well folks, it's a tad early but we are likely approaching that time of the year.

Once again to fail at Assessment centre, for our webcam mics not to work at video interview, for our internet to cut during that tasty E-tray and to have a good ol' moan about the online tests. Bonus points for turning the thread into a support/therapy group for the excruciating recruitment process post-tests.

Competency Framework

Success Profiles

STAR interview/application technique - In addition to this, think upon 'reflection' at the end, something you could have done different or did not take into account initially. Self-review is on the rise and can be a deal breaker on paper and in-person for a lot of recruitment processes now.

5 days to sit a test? Don't leave it to the last minute and stress yourself out. Reshuffle your schedule, give yourself some time to prep and then smash it. Fast Stream is a large commitment, give it the time it deserves and don't sell yourself short like my mate who went out and had 10 pints before he sat his e-tray.

Would appreciate some updates/experiences from last years streamers and where your head is at now with regards to the entire process.

Last edited by Puddles the Monkey; 6 months ago
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to all! I am about to start the Generalist scheme at the end of August, so happy to help with anything minus the E-tray or video interview stuff as I did not do that!
Vexper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Airmed)
Good luck to all! I am about to start the Generalist scheme at the end of August, so happy to help with anything minus the E-tray or video interview stuff as I did not do that!
That's fantastic. Can I ask what postings you have for year one? (are you pleased with them?)
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vexper)
That's fantastic. Can I ask what postings you have for year one? (are you pleased with them?)
Generalist is now 3 1 year placements. I will be working in Social Security Scottish Government. It's a new department so I'm excited
Vexper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Airmed)
Generalist is now 3 1 year placements. I will be working in Social Security Scottish Government. It's a new department so I'm excited
Glad you're pleased! Have you worked within the Civil Service prior to this?
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Glad you're pleased! Have you worked within the Civil Service prior to this?
I did the SDIP summer 2017
JoePencil
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone!

I'm about to go into my third year studying mathematics (RG uni), I have done some research into each stream, but i'm looking for some general guidance on what streams will match the skill set of a maths graduate.

Cheers, and good luck!
JoePencil
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bruce Norris)
Government Operational Research Service and Government Statistical Service are both good matches.
Thanks for the tip, the GORS sounds quite interesting, i'm not too sure about the extra interview after the FSAC though! What schemes are you interested in?
Mulfy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck all, will be keeping an eye on this thread! Got myself a decent HEO post during my last semester but still going to apply for Diplomatic.
turkishdisco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I intend to apply for government social research next year - how can I find out when the process opens?

Thanks!
Vexper
Rep:
?
(Original post by turkishdisco)
I intend to apply for government social research next year - how can I find out when the process opens?

Thanks!
The recruitment team advised me that the option to register your interest should open mid-august, and the process officially kicks off mid-september. Apparently there's going to be some changes... not sure how major/minor they will be.
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all, I am starting on Generalist this October, just putting a post on here so it goes on my watched threads, as I'm more than happy to give any support or tips etc.
Will also be interested to see what potential changes may be made to the application process!
meghao07
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I just wanted to know how you prepared before the start of the application process? So at this stage, what kind of preparation should I be undertaking? Thank you very much for offering to help!
Vexper
Rep:
?
(Original post by meghao07)
Hi! I just wanted to know how you prepared before the start of the application process? So at this stage, what kind of preparation should I be undertaking? Thank you very much for offering to help!
Civil Service is all about fitting the mould, so be very mindful of the competencies they worship and how you can apply your experience to them.
42wallabyway
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Fast Stream website says applications open on September 20th!
Vexper
Rep:
?
Diplomatic Service scheme;

From November 2019, the Diplomatic Service Fast Stream will be a 3-year scheme. This will give DS Fast Streamers opportunities to work in both the UK and Overseas whilst on the scheme. The options for the scheme may include:
  1. A year spent in an operational role, followed by 2 years in policy role that includes around 7 months overseas
  2. A year spent in an operational role, followed by a year in a policy role (or vice-versa). The third year will be spent in an overseas posting.
  3. A year spent in an operational role, followed by a year in a policy role (or vice-versa). Followed by one year in London on FCO priority area.
  4. A year in an operational / policy role followed by priority hard language training and a posting.
turkishdisco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by abc:))
Hi all, I am starting on Generalist this October, just putting a post on here so it goes on my watched threads, as I'm more than happy to give any support or tips etc.
Will also be interested to see what potential changes may be made to the application process!
Congratulations, you must be elated! Can I ask what the time interval was between you applying and being informed of the result? I.e. did you apply last Sept/Oct when the process opened? That would make it about a year between applying and starting, which seems long.

Thanks!
TryingIsGood
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck everyone! I'm starting on the Fast Stream in October, and the main thing that I would recommend to everyone thinking of applying is to think really carefully about the order you list the schemes on your application - a lot of people last year got caught out realising too late that they would have preferred their third choice to their second etc., and also realising that they didn't have the required degree for one of their chosen schemes, so had wasted a choice. As I said though, good luck!
Maybeno
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so question on the video interviews, I can never tell which competency they're asking about! any tips?
Vexper
Rep:
?
(Original post by TryingIsGood)
Good luck everyone! I'm starting on the Fast Stream in October, and the main thing that I would recommend to everyone thinking of applying is to think really carefully about the order you list the schemes on your application - a lot of people last year got caught out realising too late that they would have preferred their third choice to their second etc., and also realising that they didn't have the required degree for one of their chosen schemes, so had wasted a choice. As I said though, good luck!
What stream are you on fella? (What department have you landed in also?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (144)
19%
Labour (323)
42.61%
Liberal Democrats (154)
20.32%
Green Party (41)
5.41%
Brexit Party (21)
2.77%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)