The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lawgrad13
Advice required please. I have been offered an SO position at the DFE for which I will hopefully start before Xmas. I’m also looking to apply for the fast stream as an external candidate, if I am successful and I accept, would this mean taking a substantial pay cut? Or would they match the SO salary?! Any advice would be appreciated cheers

I don't believe they'd match the SO salary, you've applied as an external, and internals can only apply on the internal scheme up to HO.

I would imagine therefore that you're looking at a salary reduction, but probably the only way to know for sure would be to call or email.
I know I am quite behind in terms of the process but- the behavioural assessment is scaring me! Any advice on how you guys prepped/passed? (I know they say there is no "prep").

Thanks!
Yes. It says to dress smartly, as for a formal interview. I wore a fitted white shirt and jacket
Original post by sa22286
I know I am quite behind in terms of the process but- the behavioural assessment is scaring me! Any advice on how you guys prepped/passed? (I know they say there is no "prep").

Thanks!

The prep is reading the Civil Service competencies. They're looking for people who show these at leader level (minimum executive officer but preferably HEO/SEO)
Finally an update...I’ve just heard that I’ve passed the video interview today!!! So happy 😀 I’ve got information to add and a numerical test to complete. My schemes are all still listed in my order with nothing saying I’ve not passed them so think I’ve passed for all ☺️ My options are OR,Gen,Project and Finance.
Original post by MissB456
Finally an update...I’ve just heard that I’ve passed the video interview today!!! So happy 😀 I’ve got information to add and a numerical test to complete. My schemes are all still listed in my order with nothing saying I’ve not passed them so think I’ve passed for all ☺️ My options are OR,Gen,Project and Finance.

Well done! How long did you have to wait?

Congratulations!
Original post by Slowbro93
Well done! How long did you have to wait?

I sat it on the 1st of Oct so just under two weeks! Thanks 😁

Hooray! Well done!
Reply 989
I'm still waiting for E-tray results, but have decided to start preparing for the interview anyway just in case. For those who have done the vid int. (without revealing Questions, or giving me an unfair advantage ofc) Did you prepare very strictly against each competency framework, and did that help/hinder you? I'm wondering whether they will ask a general Q. about the competencies or about a specific aspect of the competency (e.g dealing with conflict). I'm worried I will prepare so much to answer a holistic Q that covers the whole competency I will get caught out if it chooses one aspect. Thanks for all the help thus far and well done to all those getting through!
Original post by Stumom
I'm still waiting for E-tray results, but have decided to start preparing for the interview anyway just in case. For those who have done the vid int. (without revealing Questions, or giving me an unfair advantage ofc) Did you prepare very strictly against each competency framework, and did that help/hinder you? I'm wondering whether they will ask a general Q. about the competencies or about a specific aspect of the competency (e.g dealing with conflict). I'm worried I will prepare so much to answer a holistic Q that covers the whole competency I will get caught out if it chooses one aspect. Thanks for all the help thus far and well done to all those getting through!

How long have you been waiting for e-tray results for?
Reply 991
How long have you been waiting for e-tray results for?

Since the 20th! I applied for 4 schemes so wonder if that could impact, more schemes more results to wait for !
I'm off sick today so please tag me if you want to ask something!
Original post by Stumom
Since the 20th! I applied for 4 schemes so wonder if that could impact, more schemes more results to wait for !

That could be a possibility, oddly enough my top choice is not my most competitive places wise :tongue:
Original post by Airmed
I'm off sick today so please tag me if you want to ask something!

What is the mean of life?
What is the mean of life?

ABBA. It's always ABBA.
Hi all,

I did my video interview on Tuesday this week. It went OK. The one thing I would say about the video interview is that you should think about examples whilst going through the civil service competencies. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the interview will look at the following competencies: Collaborating and Partnering, Building Capability for All, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace. It also apparently says that it "considers your ‘strengths’- relating to things you find energising" and "The interview asks questions about your experience and also what you enjoy and find motivating". This is what I used for my interview prep.

My eyes were darting all over the place, was so hard to keep my eyes positioned on the camera. Also, I found that the portal was quite buggy on Mozilla Firefox, and switched to Chrome (which was fine).

I wore a suit and tie - you should always dress professional no matter what interview you do. When I have phone interviews, and they can't see me, I even wear a suit!

I applied for Diplomatic, Generalist and HoP, in that order. I found out that I had passed both the tests and e-tray ~5 minutes after I completed them. Very nerve-wracking, those few minutes! This is the furthest I have ever gotten and have told myself I will throw in the towel if I fail this year.

Am I right in saying that if you are going for Diplomatic, you need to fill in a full application form to be sifted before the assessment centre stage?

EDIT: I am theorycrafting here, but I am pretty sure that you are assessed entirely metrically throughout the application process, all the way up to the final interview/panel. As in, you are scored for points in the tests, e-tray, video interview and assessment centre. I wouldn't be surprised if they mark you by your answers on a mark scheme for the video interview. If I am wrong it would be great if someone could rebut me. But I imagine this is the case to sift through the amount of interviews faster. So perhaps try and put yourself in the shoes of the marker?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 997
That could be a possibility, oddly enough my top choice is not my most competitive places wise :tongue:

Did you apply for 4 too ? what is your top choice? mine in order: Government Social Research Service, Government Communication Service, Project Delivery and generalist.
Original post by toblerone325

Am I right in saying that if you are going for Diplomatic, you need to fill in a full application form to be sifted before the assessment centre stage?

It's additional information, that's all, and you will be asked the same for HoP.
Original post by Stumom
Did you apply for 4 too ? what is your top choice? mine in order: Government Social Research Service, Government Communication Service, Project Delivery and generalist.

Yeah, I applied for Science and Engineering, Generalist, DDaT and Stats :smile:

Applied on the 20th, passed my SJT on the 24th, been waiting over two weeks now for e-tray results. Really had to keep my mind occupied though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending