The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Nope :sad: it’s my first time applying and I found it really overwhelming. I just didn’t know where to look to find the answers.

That fact that I haven’t heard back means that I don’t have an immediate pass mark, and given that Diplomatic is the only one that I really want I think that I have my answer :sad: It’s pretty unlikely that the pass mark for Diplomatic will be amber band level.

Feeling quite down about it. Anyway, with any luck I could still get through for another stream, which would all be good experience.

Best set of luck to everyone else :smile:
Is the behavioural questionnaire just a multiple choice on your beheaviour? I don’t see how it’s different from situational judgement (haven’t done it yet but did practices online).
Original post by birdman123
Good luck to everyone applying this year! I am starting on the generalist fast stream in October and happy to help answer any questions anybody may have. Last years forum was a major help to myself as I completely understand how nerve-wracking the application process can be! Feel free to either ask on here or PM :smile:

Fellow Generalist! Last year's thread was great :smile:
****ing lovely.

Failed online tests and got rejected all in the same day applications open. second graduate scheme application failed (first application was NGDP, like civil service but focuses on local government, got blocked in one of the tests). Uni hasn't even started yet...

Good luck to everyone. I'll probably go find a job abroad.
Reply 104
Original post by lejazzy
Is the behavioural questionnaire just a multiple choice on your beheaviour? I don’t see how it’s different from situational judgement (haven’t done it yet but did practices online).

The behavioural questionnaire gives statements about your personality, you have to say whether they describe you or not. (things like "I think of myself as a leader" or "I am good at summarising complex information." Then you have to choose which is the least, and the most like you, out of batches of 4 statements.

It's different from the situational judgement because that gives you a fictional scenario and you have to pick which which would be the most effective, and the least effective, responses to that scenario.

There's no way to prepare for the behavioural one, you just have to be honest. I'm intrigued as to what role it plays in the recruitment process.
Original post by Mushhh
The behavioural questionnaire gives statements about your personality, you have to say whether they describe you or not. (things like "I think of myself as a leader" or "I am good at summarising complex information." Then you have to choose which is the least, and the most like you, out of batches of 4 statements.

It's different from the situational judgement because that gives you a fictional scenario and you have to pick which which would be the most effective, and the least effective, responses to that scenario.

There's no way to prepare for the behavioural one, you just have to be honest. I'm intrigued as to what role it plays in the recruitment process.

Oh thank you. I think I’ve done one like that before but it was one that if you weren’t consistent- you would fail. There were batches of two statements and you had to pick which one was most like you (ie: I am a strong leader or I like learning) but what I didn’t know is that if I chose ‘I like learning’- I have to pick that in the next batch even if the other option relates to me more. It was so confusing so hopefully this one will be easier! Good luck in your application!!
Silly question but if appointed on the fast stream is the position HEO equivalent?

Good luck everyone!
Original post by Airmed
Good luck to you all! I hear Fast Passes are also being confirmed.

Any questions, please ask here or fire me a PM :h:

were you successful on your first attempt? :smile:
Original post by dejahcarter
were you successful on your first attempt? :smile:

Yes :smile: it was a Christmas miracle I tell you
Aww lovely I hope for the same this year!
Good luck for your new role 🙂
First time applying for the FS *cough* many years after graduating. I'm feeling pretty excited after reaching the terminal stages of a large Scottish Gov intake. (That process only took 5 months though!)

I've selected Project Delivery, Digital, Data & Technology, Generalist and Commercial.

Does anyone have any info on the location of posts?
Hi,
Please do you find out straight away if you've been successful with the sjt? How many questions are there for the sjt, do you have to do everything in one sitting? How best can you tackle the e tray exercise? Thanks and Good luck to everyone.
Original post by ToastMonkey
First time applying for the FS *cough* many years after graduating. I'm feeling pretty excited after reaching the terminal stages of a large Scottish Gov intake. (That process only took 5 months though!)

I've selected Project Delivery, Digital, Data & Technology, Generalist and Commercial.

Does anyone have any info on the location of posts?

Posts are UK wide. London, Sheffield, York, Manchester, Cardiff, Blackpool, Liverpool, Leeds, Derby, Glasgow, Belfast, I'm even in Dundee! That's all the ones I know off the top of my head. So prepare yourself to be posted quite literally anywhere :smile:

Original post by Imahilary
Hi,
Please do you find out straight away if you've been successful with the sjt? How many questions are there for the sjt, do you have to do everything in one sitting? How best can you tackle the e tray exercise? Thanks and Good luck to everyone.

In some case you can find out straightaway if your mark is particularly high. I would recommend doing them in one sitting. Best advice is TO TAKE YOUR TIME. I have that in caps because it's honestly the best thing to do. Oh and read over everything they give you carefully.
Ok I'm implementing a rep system. If I rep you, then I've answered your questions. If you don't get any rep after a reasonable amount of time, either PM me or quote me and that will nudge me!
Original post by Airmed
Posts are UK wide. London, Sheffield, York, Manchester, Cardiff, Blackpool, Liverpool, Leeds, Derby, Glasgow, Belfast, I'm even in Dundee! That's all the ones I know off the top of my head. So prepare yourself to be posted quite literally anywhere :smile:

In some case you can find out straightaway if your mark is particularly high. I would recommend doing them in one sitting. Best advice is TO TAKE YOUR TIME. I have that in caps because it's honestly the best thing to do. Oh and read over everything they give you carefully.

Wow! That's quite the range! And can FSers give a preference for location?
Original post by ToastMonkey
Wow! That's quite the range! And can FSers give a preference for location?

for my scheme, generalist, we were asked for 5 location preferences, but they are not guaranteed at all. Trust me on this. I was originally given a placement in Derby which was not a preference for me at all. I was lucky and got it changed due to circumstances.

If you have a good reason not to move from a place, you can apply for a relocation restriction but you could still have to travel for up to an hour and a half away.
So I have just finished the SJT and the behavioural tests. How long does it take to find out if you've passed them?
Original post by Airmed

Thank you so much for this. I'm looking to apply for the HR Scheme.
Original post by Imahilary
Thank you so much for this. I'm looking to apply for the HR Scheme.

They took 75 HR ones for this year's starts, I made friends with a HR FSer and she was really excited to start it. It looks like a fab scheme.
Original post by WanderingRanger
So I have just finished the SJT and the behavioural tests. How long does it take to find out if you've passed them?

It can take a while, tbh. So if don't find out asap, don't freak out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending