The Student Room Group

Do I really need a student bank account?

I'll be staying at home so I won't have to pay rent, groceries, etc. The only reason I may get one is for the free railcard, but other than that I don't think I'll have any use for it at all.
Reply 1
Original post by ukelelescreamo
I'll be staying at home so I won't have to pay rent, groceries, etc. The only reason I may get one is for the free railcard, but other than that I don't think I'll have any use for it at all.

You don't *need* one but you could find it useful - you might want to buy things when out shopping with your own debit card, write a cheque, you might acquire some money and want an account to put it in (though you could use a savings account). Even though you're living at home, starting uni would be a good time to practise managing an account for yourself.

You don't have to get a bank account specifically for students, you can get a standard bank account if you prefer what they offer. In future, you could easily upgrade your student account, too.

And it's fine to open a student bank account just for a freebie - you might as well take advantage of the offer! You don't need to use your account just because it's open. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Claree
You don't *need* one but you could find it useful - you might want to buy things when out shopping with your own debit card, write a cheque, you might acquire some money and want an account to put it in (though you could use a savings account). Even though you're living at home, starting uni would be a good time to practise managing an account for yourself.

You don't have to get a bank account specifically for students, you can get a standard bank account if you prefer what they offer. In future, you could easily upgrade your student account, too.

And it's fine to open a student bank account just for a freebie - you might as well take advantage of the offer! You don't need to use your account just because it's open. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree with learning to manage an account myself - I won't have the full experience of managing it since I'll live at home, but at least I can ease myself in :smile:

I already have a savings account, so I guess the easiest way is to just upgrade it to a students account.

Thanks so much for the reply btw! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending