The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You need some sort of passive income to get good money. You can expect a degree to open all the doors for you.
Reply 81
Original post by Mr Optimist
Many pharmacist can be paid 35-40k. I will be working at a clinic where I'll be getting £30/ hour and I have just qualified as a pharmacist. But having said that, I still would not advice anyone to do pharmacy given the uncertain state it's in at the moment. If you ask me, It is about the balance involving many factors and not just your salary.

£30/h is much much higher than 35-40k isn't it?

Also where do you work? Most pharmacists I know are stuck in community pharmacy making not that much
Reply 82
Original post by bspercy
Is this £650/w post or pre tax? I currently make £400-550 a day but I'm self employed and still in university so it's not technically a full committed job.

400 a day 😲 how? That’s like 3k a week (before tax)
Reply 83
Dentistry.
Original post by Qway
400 a day 😲 how? That’s like 3k a week (before tax)

some contractors hit £500-1k per day in London - if you're good, you'll get paid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Classic tsr wanting starting salaries 5k above the average salary in the UK.

You’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you think it’s commonplace to have a starting salary of 35k. Competition would be beyond fierce

And even if you get said job, your social life would crash. Your overall enjoyment of life would plummet and you’d be a slave to your job

Do something you enjoy, stop worrying about money so much.

I’d agree using additional streams to maximise your money is the best route. I’ll be going into property on the side to boost my salary. No point killing myself for an extra 20k a year (i’m on 30k currently, guaranteed without promotion to rise to 42k) and have all the stress and pressure to lose half of it in tax.

And to the person who said you should be saving well over 1k a month if you’re on 35k a year.....
What nonsense.
Clearly living in utopian student world

My monthly pension deduction is just shy of £400 a month for a start.
Car is £250 (I have bought it thankfully but owe parents)
Digs - (this means rent to parents for you English folk)

Diesel - £200/250 (25,000 miles a year)
Tax shags me too

Many are suffering from delusions of grandeur on here I feel
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Princepieman
some contractors hit £500-1k per day in London - if you're good, you'll get paid

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that was possible why would you bother going university? You’d make more than what most graduates would make
Original post by Qway
If that was possible why would you bother going university? You’d make more than what most graduates would make

very few people are good enough to get that level of pay without formal qualifications. most of the people commanding that rate have top degrees (or at least 'a' degree) and some years of experience.
Original post by marupe
£30/h is much much higher than 35-40k isn't it?

Also where do you work? Most pharmacists I know are stuck in community pharmacy making not that much

35-40K is what you expect to earn working full time in a community pharmacy, pharmacist managers can earn 50k+. Pharmacists that locum can earn around £25 an hour. Yes, in general, the job satisfaction in community pharmacy may not be as great for us, but it is still not bad. I will be working in a GP practise where pay is higher. There is good growth potential in GP practise. Some of my colleagues are currently earning £35-40 an hour. They are prescribing pharmacists. I am a newly qualified pharmacist so I don't have my prescribing status yet. Once I become a prescriber, I can greatly increase my earning potential. You can earn £45-50 an hour as a pharmacist prescribing for addicts etc.
I wonder what the long term progression for the PA course is.
Reply 90
Original post by Hirsty97
From my research banks like JP and GS give starting salaries of 45k where you can hope to make 10k in bonuses. Making 50k in London is like making 35k where I live. When I consider rent, travel, tax I'll have 1k I can save a month. I can save more now and have a better lifestyle. My hours atm are 60-80 hour weeks with £8-12 an hour. Banking hours are even crazier. Say I do 100 hour weeks for 55k a year that's only £10.58 an hour. Ha. Barely makes London's living wage.

well if that's the way you look at it then stick with your non-sustainable, non-progressive, £8 an hour, 80 hour a week job? why do people think they deserve instant cash these days rather than building towards it, developing themselves along the way and working hard? making themselves a desirable employee?

you don't learn enough at uni for you to DESERVE to land a high flying, high paying job instantly upon graduation... but it gives you a solid foundation for a career and demonstrates to employers that you're a good investment.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SomMC1
Economics or Accounting & Finance degree.
At an investment bank, grads make 75k pounds (90k usd) in the first year. Of course, to get that money you need banks like JP Morgran. To get there, you need a good school like LSE. to get to lse, you need perfect A levels and gcses

People get drawn into IB on the basis of high gross salaries and fail to consider that their pay per hour (ie, what actually matters) is pretty terrible given the long working hours you're expected to pull as a grad in big banks. You're often better off taking a lower-paying job with shorter hours because you'll be happier (and thus more productive) and your pay per hour will be higher.

But yeah I agree you can't really go wrong with a degree in finance/economics. There are American hedge funds with graduate positions that come with a $500k starting salary, for eg. All I mean with my paragraph above is to say look further than the big banks because you can often find much better opportunities elsewhere, but most people just see a big £60k starting offer and look no further.

Alternatively @OP, law is a good option. Once you've completed your training you'll be looking at a minimum of £37k with bottom-end firms, up to £160k with magic circle firms. Of course, you have to be willing to actually put the time into training and get a First from an absolutely top-tier uni to have any hope of making it into the magic circle, but it's an option.

Consultancy also pays well. It's quite straightforward to find a whole host of consultancies with starting salaries in the range you're looking for.

Edit: there's also a bunch of left field things nobody's really heard of which humiliate income from any of the above professions, if you have a 2.1 in Maths from a top uni and a bit of relevant work experience you can pull >£100k absolutely no problem working in quant finance upon graduation, with that amount scaling at an obscene rate year on year
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
There are not 2,000 top city training contracts paying over £35k. I think many of the other numbers are generous too.

Given grads come go for these roles from both inside and outside of the U.K., the numbers are much lower than 3%

www.legalcheek.com/2016/04/number-of-training-contracts-jumps-by-nearly-500

"just over half (51.5%) are based in London. About a third (33.8%) of all training contracts are offered by City firms"

5,457 - number of training contracts

Seems like 2k to me.

Also, the number of international hires is not as high as the number of UK/EU hires.
(edited 5 years ago)
Economics is a solid choice (most I think are secretly driven by money to do the degree anyway), especially if in a prestigious uni
Can i make 100k a year by making my own clothing brand? I'm inspired by fear of God
Original post by Hirsty97
Tell me some because I'm making 650 a week now and don't want to go to university to earn less especially considering I don't have expenses as still live at home.

My job requires no training, experience, so I'll be dismayed if I go to univeristy get indebted and earn less. Downsides of my job are that no scale for progression and it might not be sustainable years down the line.

How many hours do upu currently work just wondered..
Original post by omarathon
You should do a degree because you're interested in the subject, not because you want to make some money in the future. Employers will only be offering high salaries to those passionate for their subject of which they have a degree in anyway. It's quite toxic how you value something only by the money it generates.

Get a load of this guy with no idea how the world works.

Theg dont care about your passion, they care about your effort. People put tonnes of effort into jobs they hate for money. Money is a huge driving factor.
BSc in Digital & Technology Solutions - contracted to earn 28k and 2k lump sum bonus (graduate salary) in my third year of my degree apprenticeship with a top 10 global management consultancy firm but salary will increase every year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by squirrology
BSc in Digital & Technology Solutions - contracted to earn 28k and 2k lump sum bonus (graduate salary) in my third year of my degree apprenticeship with a top 10 global management consultancy firm but salary will increase every year.

meh

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair, at least I'm guaranteed to be earning that amount in my third year, most people who went down the traditional university route aren't even guaranteed a job full stop.

Latest

Trending

Trending