The Student Room Group

Cambridge Maths - STEP papers in Year 12

I'm a rising Year 12 student and I've just finished A Level Maths and AS Further Maths (FP1 option) content. I want to maximise my chances of getting an offer to study Maths at Cambridge and I'm told that sitting the STEP papers before the interview and getting 111 or above will likely lead to an unconditional offer given that I don't completely flop the interview (not sure if this true).

For those who plan on applying or are studying Maths at Cambridge - how common is it to see students who have sat the three STEP papers before the interview? Does it actually lead to an unconditional?
if you are applying for 2019 entry you can't do step before the interview, interview is december 2018 and step is june 2019
Original post by yolkie
if you are applying for 2019 entry you can't do step before the interview, interview is december 2018 and step is june 2019

I'm applying for 2020 entry. I haven't entered Sixth form yet. I'd sit STEP papers June 2019 and apply the following October but I'm not sure if focusing on STEP over A Levels right now is the right choice.
Original post by flourpot
I'm applying for 2020 entry. I haven't entered Sixth form yet. I'd sit STEP papers June 2019 and apply the following October but I'm not sure if focusing on STEP over A Levels right now is the right choice.

Well you don't have much other maths to do
I'm a rising Year 12 student and I've just finished A Level Maths and AS Further Maths (FP1 option) content. I want to maximise my chances of getting an offer to study Maths at Cambridge and I'm told that sitting the STEP papers before the interview and getting 111 or above will likely lead to an unconditional offer given that I don't completely flop the interview (not sure if this true).

For those who plan on applying or are studying Maths at Cambridge - how common is it to see students who have sat the three STEP papers before the interview? Does it actually lead to an unconditional?

It's not common, because covering all the content in year 12 is not common.

Could you give more details about your situation? It sounds like you've learn A-level Maths and AS FM in year 11 but not sat the exams. When will you do them, and what are you planning on doing in years 12 and 13?
I'm in a similar position to you. Doing STEP in year 12 is great but you will do much better if you just take it in year 13. Cambridge will prefer it if you get higher, more solid grades one year later. In the meantime, I'd recommend doing some AEA papers and maybe take it in year 12 (it's basically an easier version of STEP), so that would get you started on those type of papers.
Reply 6
madasmaths and MAT papers

What A level exams have you actually sat? You won't be able to take the modular F Maths next year if you are in England.

Just take STEP II and III at the correct time (at the end of the course) when you have the best opportunity to demonstrate your capabilities.
Reply 9
As above, and even if you take them early and get, say, 111 there's a reasonable chance you will be given a STEP offer anyway. eg an S in II or III.

And sitting them early and not doing so well may disadvantage you.

Just do them in Y13 as normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sweeneyrod
It's not common, because covering all the content in year 12 is not common.

Could you give more details about your situation? It sounds like you've learn A-level Maths and AS FM in year 11 but not sat the exams. When will you do them, and what are you planning on doing in years 12 and 13?

I've learned AS Maths and Further Maths in Year 11 because my last school didn't quite follow the IGCSE course and went a bit overboard. I hated it then but now I'm eternally grateful to my math teacher. I've been self studying since then and so far I've covered A Level Maths and AS Further Maths (Further Pure 1) (new spec). I'm confident with the content but I haven't taken the exams yet. If I keep this up, hopefully I'll take A Level Maths and Further Maths with 2 AS in Year 12 but I desperately want to increase my chances of getting a place to study Maths because my IGCSE results are absolutely horrendous and I feel like they'll hold me back - especially since its Cambridge. Hence the reason why I'm considering if I should start studying for the STEP papers and take them before the interviews. In Year 13 I'd take the other 2 A Levels (physics, economics), the EPQ and study more advanced maths I guess. I'll probably retake the STEP papers too.
Reply 11
my IGCSE results are absolutely horrendous and I feel like they'll hold me back - especially since its Cambridge.

Cambridge is uninterested in your GCSEs. They are most interested in your Maths. And they interview nearly all applicants.

Do not underestimate the work needed to do well at STEP and the risk of trying them early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
I've learned AS Maths and Further Maths in Year 11 because my last school didn't quite follow the IGCSE course and went a bit overboard. I hated it then but now I'm eternally grateful to my math teacher. I've been self studying since then and so far I've covered A Level Maths and AS Further Maths (Further Pure 1) (new spec). I'm confident with the content but I haven't taken the exams yet. If I keep this up, hopefully I'll take A Level Maths and Further Maths with 2 AS in Year 12 but I desperately want to increase my chances of getting a place to study Maths because my IGCSE results are absolutely horrendous and I feel like they'll hold me back - especially since its Cambridge. Hence the reason why I'm considering if I should start studying for the STEP papers and take them before the interviews. In Year 13 I'd take the other 2 A Levels (physics, economics), the EPQ and study more advanced maths I guess. I'll probably retake the STEP papers too.

I'll disagree with the other posters and say that doing STEP I in year 12 could be a good idea; certainly you could prepare for it (and II and III if you feel like it) and enter if you think you'll do well. I agree with them that doing II and III is probably unwise (it will be more difficult to do well in and there's a reasonable chance they'd ask you to resit and get an S anyway (although equally there's a reasonable chance they'd let you in if you failed that)).

Do you know any A-Level Further Maths?
Why not just do step I in year 12 which will serve the double benefit of giving you step practice before the more challenging II and III for your offer as well as yeah making it more likely that you will get said offer?
Reply 15
Original post by black1blade
Why not just do step I in year 12 which will serve the double benefit of giving you step practice before the more challenging II and III for your offer as well as yeah making it more likely that you will get said offer?

Yup. Or sit practice papers in exam conditions...
Just sit STEP I, sitting it early would give you an unconditional msot of the time. But if you are getting 1,1,1 a year early you might aswell wait a year and try get SS. Problem is, if you don’t get atleast a 1 in sTEP I you don’t have any advantage. I ain’t sure if getting a 2 is a disadvantage but getting a 3 would be, not saying you will but just saying what coukd happen. You are better off focusing on your problem solving, i.e doing lots of STEP, Olympiads are fantastically useful for increasing your problem solving abilities, and they looo very good if you do well although doing well in them definitely isn’t necessary for getting in. Doing all three papers a year early isn’t even common among the IMO medalists most of them would sit STEP I early. I don’t think it would be worth the stress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending