The Student Room Group

Help on Charities - Equity and trusts

Can someone help me on how to answer & structure the answer of a problem question on charities?

What changes, if any, would you recommend to ensure the validity of the bequest?

"I direct my trustees to hold the residue of my estate in perpetuity to apply the income thereof for such one or more of the following purposes as they may in their absolute discretion select:

(A) for the funding of a scholarship to assist with the education at my old school of 1 deserving pupil each year who can establish descent from any alumnus who has attended the school since its foundation, such pupil to be treated as 'deserving' if his or her parents have fallen on hard time and are unable to pay the full fees.

(B) for the support of (a) those of my company's former employees who, without being destitute, can be said to be 'going short' as a result of the impact of rampant inflation on their company pensions and (b) those children of my company's current employers who attend state schools but would benefit from additional private tuition by reason of special educational needs.

(C) for the advancement of animal welfare in the UK by all legal means, including campaigning for a complete ban on the use of animals in circus and fairground performances.

(D) for any other charitable, benevolent, philanthropic on public purposes.

If you could help me with, any, of these on how to answer and on the structure. Those were in my previous exam which I failed miserably on this issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending