The Student Room Group

mental health ruined year 9

so im going up into year 10 soon, and im really worried that im going to move down sets, because due to my mental health i failed my a few of my tests, or didnt get my target grade. im trying to get help with my mental state, as it isnt just depression and anxiety that i struggle with - or at least i dont think so (which is primarily the reason i want help). when im older, my dream job is to be a theoretical physicist, but that means im going to have to do higher tier maths. i was in set 1 maths throughout year 7 and 8, (year 8 was when my mental health really started to go down the the drain), but in year 9 i went down to set 3. i did alright in my test, but not good enough to get moved up. this means i cant do higher tier maths which pretty much means its impossible to do what i want to do. ive failed science throughout out the whole of the year, due to mental health and im really struggling. i didnt get accepted into triple science because of this, which id been dreaming about for literally 4 years . im crushed and honestly this is all making my mental health even worse and now i dont know what to do. i woke up in tears and im so worried.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
so im going up into year 10 soon, and im really worried that im going to move down sets, because due to my mental health i failed my a few of my tests, or didnt get my target grade. im trying to get help with my mental state, as it isnt just depression and anxiety that i struggle with - or at least i dont think so (which is primarily the reason i want help). when im older, my dream job is to be a theoretical physicist, but that means im going to have to do higher tier maths. i was in set 1 maths throughout year 7 and 8, (year 8 was when my mental health really started to go down the the drain), but in year 9 i went down to set 3. i did alright in my test, but not good enough to get moved up. this means i cant do higher tier maths which pretty much means its impossible to do what i want to do. ive failed science throughout out the whole of the year, due to mental health and im really struggling. i didnt get accepted into triple science because of this, which id been dreaming about for literally 4 years . im crushed and honestly this is all making my mental health even worse and now i dont know what to do. i woke up in tears and im so worried.

what's actually wrong with your mental health? You should see a doctor. If you struggle with maths and science you probably won't be able to be a theoretical physicist honestly, but if you improve in year 10 and get moved up in sets throughout the year it's still possible
Reply 2
I sorry this is happening. The strange thing is that I experienced exactly the same thing and in year ten I'm going to move down from set 1 to set 2 because I had problems with my mentality and just not caring anymore because school was too much. But you have two more years and if you really are determined to move up maths sets show your teacher how keen you are. Maybe email the head of maths or your year nine maths teacher to ask what you can do before year ten. You could buy the textbooks that Foundation will use in lessons or a CGP Maths revision guide. See what Higher Tier are doing in Maths too and maybe go through through the units that will be similar to the foundation units that you'll do in year ten. Don't concentrate too much on Higher Tier though because understanding Foundation is much beneficial for you. By doing that you can tell you're teachers maybe around your first year ten mocks that you're capable of doing higher tier because you've been practicing foundation but also performing in higher tier. I think there is one in November and one in summer so if you do well in the November one then maybe that's when you should ask about Higher. Try to get top in the class in your unit tests by using the website Maths watch and by going to your teacher at lunch or afterschool to ask them questions about parts of the units you don't understand. You're teacher will be aware of how serious you are to be in Higher by performing to your best and doing more than they expect. Consistently go through your maths work and make sure that when you're at a point where you can be confident in your understanding of foundation. Hopefully by making yourself known to your teacher when you ask them to move up then it won't be unexpected for your teacher since they will know that you've been working hard in class and out of class. But if you're mental health is still bad talk to your consellour, or friends who understand how you feel. I felt so down in school and I think I still will because I feel like I don't belong but having a small group of friends has made school more bearable and I can concentrate on school knowing that there are people in school that still care. It's crazy how having at least one person in school that understands when you have your low points and who doesn't judge or get awkward when you're low makes you feel a lot better. Or maybe just talk to your parents if they're okay with your mental health. It's hard to always be positive and GCSEs may make you feel worse but if you continuously think about your mental state and whether you need a break from anything school related then you may balance your school life with just normal life. I hope you achieve your dreams and try to use any of the advice that makes you feel comfortable. good luck xx
Hi I’ve been through the same.

I was hospitalised due to mental health when I was only 2 weeks away from my mock GCSEs, I was there 6 months which meant I missed my all my GCSE exams. I was due to resit the year but was hospitalised again and not re-enrolled. I then went to my local college to sit my math and English exams, got okay grades (a 6 in English and C in maths) but I really wanted to do a levels, I had to get a B in maths which I was devastated that I didn’t. After a lot of meeting and stuff I was then allowed to start a levels!

So now I’ve just completed my AS year doing physics, maths and computer science. Hoping to get into A2 and go on to the navy/ RAF as an engineer apprentice or uni doing mechatronics and robotics.

Trust me it’s been hard and I didn’t think I would make it this far or be able to cope as I hadn’t been in education for 2 years prior, didn’t study any science (I was really bad in secondary school too, always got D’s) and I’ve been getting quite high scores in physics, better than people who got A grades in GCSEs.

It may seem hopeless now, you may feel lost but if you want it you can do it! In maths I was predicted an A in GCSE before I was pulled out but honestly I’ve always struggled with maths even though I love it. I have done appalling in my AS year, though they’re keeping me on as they believe in me and give me leniency due to circumstances like you!

I remember one night I was walking with my mum and she was being really mean about it all, and I just sat behind the bin and cried because I thought I wouldn’t ever be able to get an education.

I didn’t do triple science, and I don’t think it matters to do science at A level.

Just try your best, everything will work out.

You can always message me if you want any support or whatever as we have been through the same experience!
What kind of help have you been seeking? Is it possible for you to get a tutor to help with your math skills? Or is there a counselor/advisor at the school that can help give you guidance on areas where you can use what you have already learned? Or ways to pursue being a physicist?If you are not able to become a physicist, would it be possible to find something else that you can do? I know that the feeling of not being able to pursue a dream is a hard one. If your advisor feels that it is not possible to pursue your dream, what can your new dream be?
Original post by Anonymous

You need to explain this to your teachers. Also, I had mental health during these years and it’s surprisingly common. It always seems uncommon as no one opens up to it. What you need to work on is learning to handle your mental health + depression and not letting it get out of hand. If you need to dm me for further discussion, feel free.

Quick Reply

Latest