The Student Room Group

Considering Cambridge medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi I have just done my GCSEs in 2018 and received seven 9s, one 8 and an A also an A in a FSMQ which is the top. I would like to study medicine at one of the top universities like oxford or cambridge so in Sixth form i have applied to do Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Economics as A-levels. Whilst i was accepted to do these and met the grade requirements the school would rather i take 3 (as they are suggesting to every student) so i am considering dropping Economics however it is my choice and would like to know if i have a better chance of getting into one of these universities with four A-levels or the three A-levels. i know the requirements for these universities only say 3 A-levels but most who have applied have taken more.Which would you suggest is better to take as a chance of getting into oxbridge?
Reply 61
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Certainly, in specifically preparing for an F1's tasks, there will be many medical schools better than Cambridge. But that is just one year out of a long medical career.
But surely you would want to compare the year of a doctor's career which could have the most influence from their medical school if you're comparing the clinical competence across various medical schools ?

In my view, I don't think there's going to be significant difference between the clinical competence of a senior registrar or consultant from medical school X vs Y.
Original post by Mil99
But surely you would want to compare the year of a doctor's career which could have the most influence from their medical school if you're comparing the clinical competence across various medical schools ?

In my view, I don't think there's going to be significant difference between the clinical competence of a senior registrar or consultant from medical school X vs Y.

I'm not sure how "well prepared" you feel is a good measure of clinical competence. But sure, if someone's main concern was feeling well-prepared for the daily tasks of an F1, I certainly wouldn't advise them to go to Cambridge. I would say that's one of the big weaknesses of the Cambridge course, although perhaps things have changed since I left. For example, other medical schools often have long "shadowing" periods after finals, where the students act much more like an F1. That didn't happen at Cambridge.

At F1 ARCP, country-wide, 0.89% of doctors get an unsatisfactory outcome. It is 0.51% of Cambridge graduates. So that would suggest Cambridge graduates are slightly above average when it comes to passing F1, although clearly the failure rates are very very low overall (and I would guess most people failing have extenuating circumstances).

If you compare to ARCP pass rates for the various stages of training though, Cambridge graduates actually are almost always above average (low numbers are "good" on the graph, as it's measuring "unsatisfactory outcomes" ).

Proportion of Cambridge graduates getting an "unsatisfactory outcome" at ARCP (blue circles are the Cambridge graduates, purple vertical lines are the UK-wide average):

Original post by Muttley79
... [e.g. costs of living in college].

Not gonna get involved in the rest but just to pick up on this... is that something else you tell your students? Because its NOT TRUE!

Oxford is a contender for, if not the cheapest uni accommodation. Room rates are generally betwenn £3500 and £4000 for undergraduate. Show me another university, even a northern one, where average accommodation charges are less than £4,000pa.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/colleges/do-I-pay-to-live-in-my-college?wssl=1

Original post by Mil99

The problem is that F1 is so different to subsequent years and actually being a doctor though. The skills for being a good FY1 are very different to the skills needed to be a good senior SpR or consultant. Which is at least partially why the failure rate is so low (in complete contrast to PG exams!).

The question of what makes a good doctor is, of course, a fundamentally difficult one.
Reply 64
Original post by nexttime
Not gonna get involved in the rest but just to pick up on this... is that something else you tell your students? Because its NOT TRUE!

Oxford is a contender for, if not the cheapest uni accommodation. Room rates are generally betwenn £3500 and £4000 for undergraduate. Show me another university, even a northern one, where average accommodation charges are less than £4,000pa.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/colleges/do-I-pay-to-live-in-my-college?wssl=1

Yup! Accommodation can be very cheap at Cambridge too. Also it's worth chucking in that both Cambridge and Oxford have pretty generous bursaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
x

Original post by Chief Wiggum
x

I appreciate what both of you are saying and perhaps I should state that my original contention was that medical competence is a cumulative measurement (assuming that it can be accurately measured) and I don't think it can be solely measured by post graduate exam results (as one user was suggesting).

I think you both still have the same issue when we get past FY1/FY2 and into specialty training because I don't think there will be significant discrepancies or differences between the competence of say a senior registrar or consultant because they went to different medical schools. However, perhaps the ability to get a specialty or location that you want to work in can be influenced by your medical school but then I wouldn't equate this to a doctor's competence which is what the discussion was on.
Original post by Mil99
I appreciate what both of you are saying and perhaps I should state that my original contention was that medical competence is a cumulative measurement (assuming that it can be accurately measured) and I don't think it can be solely measured by post graduate exam results (as one user was suggesting).

I don't think they were suggesting that. Its just that if you want some numbers to go by as that user wants, then there is very little and exam results are pretty much all we have! Data about complaints or whatever simply isn't there (and would be flawed anyway - you could argue that the best doctors aren't so passive as to always give the patients everything they want...).

The other hard data which lets us compare med schools is EPM socring for FY1 applications, preparedness surveys, ARCP outcomes, and (i guess) speciality entered, but all of those are either quite flawed or limited in scope, or both.

I think you both still have the same issue when we get past FY1/FY2 and into specialty training because I don't think there will be significant discrepancies or differences between the competence of say a senior registrar or consultant because they went to different medical schools. However, perhaps the ability to get a specialty or location that you want to work in can be influenced by your medical school but then I wouldn't equate this to a doctor's competence which is what the discussion was on.

'Competence' is just so vague I doubt we'll ever know that far up the ladder.

I think areas where is might be significant though are speciality choice, and career emphasis (research vs teaching vs purely clinical etc). Obviously not necessarily a 'good or 'bad' thing though.
Original post by Doonesbury
Yup! Accommodation can be very cheap at Cambridge too. Also it's worth chucking in that both Cambridge and Oxford have pretty generous bursaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello clearing advisor ,

has there been any medicine clearing for this year -2018?
Original post by PopsicleCharms
Hello clearing advisor ,

Yes quite a lot. They plan to have spare spaces and they still very much expect you to have AAA+ and they still interview.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5377422
Reply 69
Original post by PopsicleCharms
Hello clearing advisor ,

As below. :yep: - I'm not sure how many spaces still remain though...

Yes quite a lot. They plan to have spare spaces and they still very much expect you to have AAA+ and they still interview.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5377422

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending