The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Best A levels to do Bsc Economics from LSE

Here are the A levels I am planning to do this term at both the AS and A2 level to study economics at LSE: Eco, Maths, Further Maths. Shall I consider doing a fourth A level as well? My top preferences for uni rn are LSE, Cambridge, Warwick and Oxbridge.
Reply 1
Original post by shyaaaambhavi
Here are the A levels I am planning to do this term at both the AS and A2 level to study economics at LSE: Eco, Maths, Further Maths. Shall I consider doing a fourth A level as well? My top preferences for uni rn are LSE, Cambridge, Warwick and Oxbridge.

Have you checked the requirements for LSE? I think their website is somewhat clear.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Moved to London School of Economics.

4 A-levels is not necessary. You have all the ones you could possibly need.

Edit: incorrect info. My bad.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sinnoh
Moved to London School of Economics.

4 A-levels is not necessary. You have all the ones you could possibly need.

Not true:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2017/BSc-Economics

"Further Mathematics at A level is also desirable, but as a fourth subject only. It is acceptable to take it to AS level only, in which case you will be required to achieve grade A. If you take four or more full A levels, you will be expected to achieve A* A A (with A* in Mathematics), and a pass in the fourth A level. "
Reply 4
I went to the open day this year and in the Economics talk, the professor said they've changed their policy so they now accept Maths, Further Maths, and one more subject (eg: econ).

If I were you though, I would pretty much definitely take one more subject because:

1) Further Maths is hard, definitely not easy to get an A. Since LSE only requires you to take/pass FM (if that), it would be very wise to take one more subject as it would probably actually be easier for yoy.
2) It gives you a wider range of skills if you do another subject and is definitely preffered over only Maths, Further Maths and Econ. I take Maths, FM, Econ and Chem though in hindsight I would've found history more interesting/useful. That's because like you, I was intending on applying for pure econ at the start of year 12 but by the end of year 12 decided to aim for PPE at Oxford and Economics and Politics everywhere else (including LSE)

Even though LSE have changed their policy, I doubt other universities like Durham would have too. So if I were you, I would definitely do one more.

One tip though, LSE doesn't consider some subjects as valid a levels so I would check on their website to see which subjects are appropriate. For example, if you take a level econ as well as a level business studies, they don't consider it as two separate subjects.

As a rule of thumb, try stick to a subject which is more rigorous and academic like History, Geography, Physics, Chem, (don't do bio unless you're applying for anything bio/medicine related), or even languages are good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending