The Student Room Group

advice on how to improve my a level art painting?

So basically i am on a c for my a level art but i really need an a or a b. I have recently done a bug canvas painting and it's abstract and based on the theme 'grids'. I hate my topic but my teacher insisted i do it ! ;/ so basically do you thunk this would be above a grade c and how can i improve to achieve higher marks? Thanks!
https://imageshack.com/i/pmPWyqVIj
Reply 1
i mean im no expert but my immediate thought when i saw it was that it lacked depth an was very flat, maybe adding some depth it would up your grade?
Reply 2
Yes I personally agree too. Also it's quite a lot for the eyes to take in so maybe add a focus subject or something that sounds out from the rest. Sorry I don't know just a suggestion:smile:)
Reply 3
Original post by libbyloo4
So basically i am on a c for my a level art but i really need an a or a b. I have recently done a bug canvas painting and it's abstract and based on the theme 'grids'. I hate my topic but my teacher insisted i do it ! ;/ so basically do you thunk this would be above a grade c and how can i improve to achieve higher marks? Thanks!

Hi, i have just finished a-level fine art. I am not sure what exam board you are with and if you are just doing art or fine art. I got an A at alevel and in my opinion this would not get a B or above, however it does not just depend on the final piece, your developmental work should show how you have came to this final piece and how you used artists, research, materials and techniques to create this piece. It is not all about final pieces but from this image I can see that it possibly just a C. To understand how you need to get more marks I would need to see the rest of your project, but if I was to help this piece I would add 3 square pieces of white cardboard to add relief to the piece (I would make these squares so that they fit diagonally along the work with little gaps) , I would possibly monochromatic lines to the white squares (The first square diagonal lines going from the right to the left , 2nd square vertical stripes and then the 3rd square diagonal lines going from left to right) i feel like doing this would make the piece more interesting and from what i can tell would fit with the theme of grids. You could also add paint splatter of vibrant colours to the piece but this may not fit in with the project.

If you are willing to look incorporating objects or faces into this piece you could perhaps look at Picasso and cubism because that resembles the theme of grids. I think adding more technical work possibly a painting or drawing to the piece would get the grades up, but this would require you to look at the artists and how it links to your theme and how you can develop the work, because remember that you can't just put something into your final piece that hasn't been shown in your developmental work.

Don't give up on this piece because you dont like it, it will always get marks even if you dont like it. If you have time I would look at those artists and incorporate faces or objects into the piece like picasso did, and you could use this piece to show how you have developed the work. But if you dont have time to do this I would ask your teacher what they think you should do. Noting down why you didn't like this piece and what you can do better shows the examiner your thought process which will get marks. Feel free to message me if you want help on your project!

I am sure everything will work out in the end.
Original post by libbyloo4

Your piece looks VERY time consuming, so be proud for completing it! I'm also doing A level Art, predicted an A. I've never done abstract art so take my advise with a pinch of salt. I would clean up the lines a little, make them slightly more crisp and neatened up. I would also try adding a focal point to make it more interesting to look at and maybe link better with your theme. Keep up with the hard work and remember this is one final piece of MANY you'll be creating so focus on new paintings and developing your idea in your sketchbook, don't stress about it too much.

Quick Reply

Latest