The Student Room Group

A Level choice - Product design and Geography

Hello,
My daughter intends to do either Product design engineering or Geography for her Uni.
Now it is the time to make A-Level choice.
Her plan is to take Math, Physics and Spanish (1) or Geography (2).
She is struggling to make the decision.
My questions are:
1. Is this an odd combination of seeking either design or geography in the eyes of the Unis?
2. If this is doable, should she take Spanish or geography as her 3rd A Level choice?
BTW, she loves Loughboro's design engineering course.

Many thanks!
Original post by hydromanbj
Hello,
My daughter intends to do either Product design engineering or Geography for her Uni.
Now it is the time to make A-Level choice.
Her plan is to take Math, Physics and Spanish (1) or Geography (2).
She is struggling to make the decision.
My questions are:
1. Is this an odd combination of seeking either design or geography in the eyes of the Unis?
2. If this is doable, should she take Spanish or geography as her 3rd A Level choice?
BTW, she loves Loughboro's design engineering course.

Many thanks!

Not a direct answer but a bit of advice on the side. Design Engineering courses will want to see evidence of artistic / craft skill and interest, and may well want her to show a portfolio at interview. Is she doing something relevant in the side, drawing, painting, CAD, modelling etc. This doesn't have to be a formal art or DT A level btw.
Reply 2
Yes. She will start doing a portofolio preparation from next year. It is good know that art design or craft art (A Level) is not necessarily required to pursue product design degree.
Many unis don't require geography A level to study the course. The combination of subjects your daughter is considering is not unusual, but you may want to check Uni course requirements for design engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending