The Student Room Group

A levels for law at a russel group uni

Would History, Maths and economics be a good combination. I was going to do English Lit (but it was one of my worse grades at GCSE). Would economics still be suitable for unis like oxbridge?
It makes no difference what a levels you choose, personally I’m doing economics chemistry psychology and history, as long as it’s facilitating subjects it’s fine
Law is the best subject to have wide varying options I know people who got into Nottingham with maths biology history and so forth it makes no difference
Yes, that's a suitable combination. The subjects don't even need to be "facilitating" - this just means they happen to serve as prerequisites for certain degree programmes. Any "traditionally academic" subject, i.e. one that is primarily assessed by final unseen written examination, is suitable preparation for a Law degree and acceptable by universities, including RG unis. All of your subjects qualify for the latter definition, and two of them for the former anyway - which is not required for a Law degree, but useful for yourself if you change your mind and wish to apply for other subjects (mainly History, Economics, and business/finance related courses at "top" unis which sometimes require Maths; you may also be able to apply to some CS or Maths degrees, although that may or may not be advisable).
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, that's a suitable combination. The subjects don't even need to be "facilitating" - this just means they happen to serve as prerequisites for certain degree programmes. Any "traditionally academic" subject, i.e. one that is primarily assessed by final unseen written examination, is suitable preparation for a Law degree and acceptable by universities, including RG unis. All of your subjects qualify for the latter definition, and two of them for the former anyway - which is not required for a Law degree, but useful for yourself if you change your mind and wish to apply for other subjects (mainly History, Economics, and business/finance related courses at "top" unis which sometimes require Maths; you may also be able to apply to some CS or Maths degrees, although that may or may not be advisable).

Thanks for your advice, it was very helpful. Do you think 7 9s and 3 8s is good enough for law at one of the top 5 unis?
Original post by hp4300
Thanks for your advice, it was very helpful. Do you think 7 9s and 3 8s is good enough for law at one of the top 5 unis?

If it isn't there's really no hope for anyone...
Original post by hp4300

Definitely, lmao I can only hope I'll get those grades this year.

Plus I heard GCSE grades don't matter too much when applying to unis, they look at your A-levels more, personal statements, extra-curricular activities etc.
Original post by hp4300
Would History, Maths and economics be a good combination. I was going to do English Lit (but it was one of my worse grades at GCSE). Would economics still be suitable for unis like oxbridge?

I was told by my economics teacher that if I wanted to go to a good uni then economics is not a good choice, it’s seen as a soft subject
Original post by Bubbergee
I was told by my economics teacher that if I wanted to go to a good uni then economics is not a good choice, it’s seen as a soft subject

That's not true, they must be out of touch or deluded
Reply 9
Original post by Bubbergee

Original post by harrysbar
That's not true, they must be out of touch or deluded

Oops, a bit late I'm already halfway through year 12 :colondollar:. On another note I absolutely love economics, much better than English lit for me. I think it's really useful for law, especially since I might want to do commercial law in the future. I've emailed numerous universities and they say Economics is just fine, thanks for your replies anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest