The Student Room Group

Should I go to Henrietta Barnett

So, I’ve been at a secondary comprehensive since year 7. A couple days ago I received my gcse results (eight 9’s, 2 8’s) much better than I had expected. On a whim, I applied to Henrietta Barnett ... but I got in. Now I’m a little torn because I’m comfortable in my school and could probably continue comfortably. Still, I worry it could be a missed opportunity, although I’m apprehensive because of the high pressure environment. I’m doing maths, bio, chem, and history for A level, in the former I got an 8, the rest 9’s, it sounds silly but should I be worried about whether I will be able to keep up? (I heard 60% at HBS get nines). I was also wondering about what the students and teachers there are like, as well as the atmosphere. Is there a lot of independent learning and a competitive environment? This is something I think I would find particularly challenging with maths. Is it worth it in the end? Does going to the school increase your chances of oxbridge acceptance? If I don’t end up going I’d probably stay at my own school though. Sorry it’s a lot.
Thanks for the help :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
I don’t go to henrietta barnett but know a lot of people that go and my school’s quite close so i know a bit.
A few people have told me that when they went to the sixth form they didn’t really like the atmosphere and that they preferred their normal comprehensive school. Some people were welcoming and it was mainly independent learning, there is a lot of competition like everyone wants to be the best but isn’t that everywhere?
In my opinion, i think you should go, it’s a great opportunity to try something new and it is better than your current school, although you’re not guaranteed better results it might be a bit easier.
However I’ve been also told it is heavily relied on you rather than the teachers to learn the content and stuff.

Don’t listen to any of this lmao I’m waffling just ignore
Original post by DQuinn123
So, I’ve been at a secondary comprehensive since year 7. A couple days ago I received my gcse results (eight 9’s, 2 8’s) much better than I had expected. On a whim, I applied to Henrietta Barnett ... but I got in. Now I’m a little torn because I’m comfortable in my school and could probably continue comfortably. Still, I worry it could be a missed opportunity, although I’m apprehensive because of the high pressure environment. I’m doing maths, bio, chem, and history for A level, in the former I got an 8, the rest 9’s, it sounds silly but should I be worried about whether I will be able to keep up? (I heard 60% at HBS get nines). I was also wondering about what the students and teachers there are like, as well as the atmosphere. Is there a lot of independent learning and a competitive environment? This is something I think I would find particularly challenging with maths. Is it worth it in the end? Does going to the school increase your chances of oxbridge acceptance? If I don’t end up going I’d probably stay at my own school though. Sorry it’s a lot.
Thanks for the help :smile:

Stay where you are - you are happy and the teachers know you already.
Reply 3
I had the opportunity to go 6 years ago, and I didn't take it. I still regret it to this day.

It's not just about the teaching and the grades the school offers you, but also the other chances for amazing extra curricular activities and trips. The school in itself is a whole new and incredible experience and the people there are also wonderful. I strongly encourage you to take the chance, you are more than capable.

Quick Reply

Latest