The Student Room Group

Help a level advice urgent

Ok So I took AS Level Sociology, Business and French and didn’t get the best grades(highest was a C). I’m thinking of retaking year 12. I want to do an economics degree at uni but I don’t know what a levels to do. I’m thinking Maths, Psychology and Economics/Business or French. The reason I want to do business is because I already have the knowledge and achieved the highest than the rest but I think unis would look at it as a soft subject. If I do three new subjects i am scared that I will fail again. So shall I do Economics or Business?? I want to go to a High uni too. Also, I still haven’t found a sixth form to go to and colleges have their enrolment this week but I’ve heard college isn’t good.
Why don't you.....

GOOGLE IT

Like, literally just look at the entrance requirements for a selection of economics courses.
Original post by vicvic38
Why don't you.....

GOOGLE IT

Like, literally just look at the entrance requirements for a selection of economics courses.

I haveeee and they require maths but I’m not sure about economcis or business
Reply 3
economics , exCt same issue as you but I choose to do eco even though I did business
Reply 4
Hi! we're (sort of) similar, I'm studying economics this autumn at uni, and I took AS french and business (and maths and history). My highest AS grade was also a C!

What I did was I dropped french at AS (difficulty is relative but it was by far the most difficult subject for me to succeed in), so I went on to A2 with maths, business and history. Business does in many instances correlate to an economics degree, so because it's relevant in this sense, it won't be frowned upon by the unis you apply to in the way you think it might.

In saying that though, many top universities tend to prefer facilitating subjects for a degree like economics, which includes maths. You definitely don't have to take it, but from my own experience it's not only well regarded by the top unis in reviewing economics applicants, but it's also totally doable if you put in the hours- I went up by 3 grades from AS to A2! Plus I assume with your degree choice you must enjoy maths to a certain level, and that will make it even easier to do well in :smile:

Although you might be concerned about going to a different sixth form/college with maybe not as good a reputation, teaching can only get you so far- it's the effort that YOU put in outside of school that matters- there are plenty of online resources for help, for example.

So if you're set on an economics degree, my advice would be to retake AS- this time with maths, psychology and economics (but that's just what I'd choose out of the ones you suggested). Find anywhere that will allow you to take these subjects and work extremely hard, all for the day you open up that results envelope :smile: They're a very strong set of subjects, and as long as you put the effort in there's no reason to think you won't smash it next year! I'm sure whatever you do will be a success, but this is just my personal advice.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending