The Student Room Group

From a BA with no science to a medical degree - please help!

Hi guys I am seeking sound advice, so please, please stick to the end to help!

I have finished my BA at a reputable Uni (not Redbrick or Russel Group) in English and History. I have achieved a 2.1. I am planning on using this summer to work on the GAMSAT (WHERE ON EARTH DO I START?!) and to apply to SGUL, Warwick, Swansea and RCIS.

Background: come from a deprived area, went to a deprived, ‘poor’ public school, and achieved average grades… so essentially, C grades.

A-levels: standard sixth form, achieved BCC in non-science A-levels.

During my school years, I have a brother that is severely ill, he is autistic and suffered a lot from psychosis, etc and attempted suicide on so many occasions this really affected us all.

With school, we weren’t pushed into achieving top grades either, I was told it was impossible for me to enter University!

Now, that I am a graduate, and recently having a grandparent suffering from dementia, I really, really want to enter the medical profession.

I don’t know where to start: applications, exams, revision, work experience etc.

I am trying to find a place at my local GP and looking around elsewhere to. Anything that will make me stand out, any clue?

Furthermore, is there any way that I am just living a pipe dream? Do I not have the intellect for such a degree?...

Ideally, I want to move to London.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending