The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi guys!! I sat my UKCAT yesterday and I managed to get 713 & a band 1! I was so so happy as I completely messed up VR and thought I’d flunked it (I got 580 in VR lmao). I got 760 QR, 650 DM and 860 AR! So if anyone has any questions at all I’d love to help out as I found TSR so useful!!Xx
Reply 2
How did you prepare for it?
Original post by jemgal00
hey everyone, I sat my UKCAT yesterday and i got 713 + band 1 and found student room so useful for advice so if anyone has any questions I’d love to help (except about VR bc I got 580 lol so ya girls app illiterate). My breakdown was 580 VR (lmao), 650 DM, 760 QR and 860 AR + ofc a band 1. I know this isn’t the best score ever but I’m so happy w it!!

Well done thats an excellent score and one less thing to be concerned about. Did you use any paid courses?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Well done thats an excellent score and one less thing to be concerned about. Did you use any paid courses?

thank you!! I went on a 325 course that someone recommended to me but it wasn’t helpful at all. An online medify course is hands down the best resource you can use!
thank you!! I went on a 325 course that someone recommended to me but it wasn’t helpful at all. An online medify course is hands down the best resource you can use!

How did medify compare to each section
Reply 6
Hi,I am having trouble with abstract reasoning even after a decent bit of practice. In the medify mock, I scored 500 for AR. I am completely lost....Plz Help
i got 480 in my AR mock how can I improve..
Reply 8
Original post by lion-tiger
How did medify compare to each section

very similar! AR was easier in the real ukcat and QR was maybe a little harder (practice the official ukcat QR it’s deffo much harder but it prepares you better!). The other 3 sections were v similar - deffo keep using medify!!
Reply 9
Original post by j.hdxr
Hi,I am having trouble with abstract reasoning even after a decent bit of practice. In the medify mock, I scored 500 for AR. I am completely lost....Plz Help

Hi!! I got 570 in my first ever mock so you can deffo improve! I wrote down any trends/patterns I noticed and I found when I’d done a lot of questions the patterns started to repeat. I think AR is a skill you lose if you go a while without doing it so keep doing questions every day! Try the questions untimed first and you’ll start to speed up as you see repeating patterns and then implement timings. AR is a section that I think you can drastically improve in so don’t worry!
Reply 10
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
i got 480 in my AR mock how can I improve..

First of all, don’t worry!! I got 570 in my first mock and got 300 higher in my real thing! I found that once I had done enough questions I started to notice common patterns that always came up. The best way to prepare is to ensure you’ve seen every possible pattern ie by doing lots and lots of questions!! I wrote down any patterns/trends I noticed and kept adding to the list. Practice without timing first and then start implementing timings and you’ll gradually speed up as you start to see trends you’ve seen before! All the best, you’ve got this!!
First of all, don’t worry!! I got 570 in my first mock and got 300 higher in my real thing! I found that once I had done enough questions I started to notice common patterns that always came up. The best way to prepare is to ensure you’ve seen every possible pattern ie by doing lots and lots of questions!! I wrote down any patterns/trends I noticed and kept adding to the list. Practice without timing first and then start implementing timings and you’ll gradually speed up as you start to see trends you’ve seen before! All the best, you’ve got this!!

ahh okay you see i just dove into timing great i have heard of the scans method so hopefully ill do questions i've got about 21 days left is that long enough to improve? i need for it to be 600 in the real thing
please give me any tips for DM, you did so well and I got 400-500 in a medify mock and my exam is in 4 days :frown:
Reply 13
I did my ukcat last year and your score and breakdown is practically the same as mine haha

Mine was:
VR 580
DM 650
QR 890
AR 740
SJT Band 1

Good luck!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by daisie
I did my ukcat last year and your score and breakdown is practically the same as mine haha

Mine was:
VR 580
DM 650
QR 890
AR 740

Good luck!!

omw ahahaha, VR is so so grim :frown:
hey did my ukcat today got vr:610 (thought it would be a lot worse considering how **** the questions were) QR: 740 DM:730 AR:710 SJT: band 1. Really happy with the results. Average is 698, so close to 700 but still a good result.
Reply 16
Original post by Sainsburysbasics
please give me any tips for DM, you did so well and I got 400-500 in a medify mock and my exam is in 4 days :frown:

aw thank you! 4 days is still lots of time, practice as much as you can! try doing the questions untimed and really read and understand their explanations for each question! Find your weakness - is it yes/no questions or is it the paragraph questions? In a mock try doing the questions you’re best at first and come back to the other ones later. I find with DM the method for each question is the same and if you work on understanding how to do them you’ll speed up! Make sure you draw DIAGRAMS - they are KEY!! Also it’s okay to do bad in one section - I got 580 in VR and still managed 713 overall! Keep calm and try your best!! GOOD LUCK!!
Reply 17
Original post by imran234
hey did my ukcat today got vr:610 (thought it would be a lot worse considering how **** the questions were) QR: 740 DM:730 AR:710 SJT: band 1. Really happy with the results. Average is 698, so close to 700 but still a good result.

OMW WELL DONE!!! The Medic Portal put up an article saying anything above 690 is good enough to apply to very UKCAT heavy universities eg edinburgh, newcastle, st. andrews!! So you have your pick!! I froze in VR, during the mocks I was getting 650-750, but I just panicked! So I’m so happy my other scores brought it up! It’s such a relief that it’s over!
Reply 18
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
ahh okay you see i just dove into timing great i have heard of the scans method so hopefully ill do questions i've got about 21 days left is that long enough to improve? i need for it to be 600 in the real thing

YES!! 21 days is plenty of time - most people only start preparation now! Tbh I never used acronyms but if they work for you then deffo go for it! You will definitely be able to get over 600 if you keep practicing and you have enough time to do it without timings first! So just try doing lots of questions and taking your time answering them! It’s important to get your thought process perfect. If you jump into timings you won’t even have time to work them out - once you start getting them right then start implementing timings! Good luck!!✨✨
YES!! 21 days is plenty of time - most people only start preparation now! Tbh I never used acronyms but if they work for you then deffo go for it! You will definitely be able to get over 600 if you keep practicing and you have enough time to do it without timings first! So just try doing lots of questions and taking your time answering them! It’s important to get your thought process perfect. If you jump into timings you won’t even have time to work them out - once you start getting them right then start implementing timings! Good luck!!✨✨

Thanks a ton!! xx congrats

Latest

Trending

Trending