The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Linalolo
heartbroken i missed the cut off by 10 points.. oh well, everything happens for a reason. congratulations everyone and thanks Julian for all your hard work!

Best of luck for your other choices x
Hi Julian,
I wanted to ask you a question and I know it might be stupid. Basically, I applied this year and my GCSE are 2.5A*, 5A, 4B and 1 C and you had previously said one most require 6A in GCSE but I have 5A in my GCSE. I don't know if my A* is included in that 'A grade passes' because an A* is higher than an A, so could you please clarify that for me. And also on the website, it says however at least 5 A grades
Thank You
:redface:

I have 2.5A* 5A 4B 1C
720 UKCAT
A*AA achieved grades for A-level
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Linalolo
heartbroken i missed the cut off by 10 points.. oh well, everything happens for a reason. congratulations everyone and thanks Julian for all your hard work!

What do you mean by cutoff? Have Sheffield released cutoff scores? I haven't gotten an email yet, so I'm guessing the rejection/invite will say there?
Original post by medicwannabe19
What do you mean by cutoff? Have Sheffield released cutoff scores? I haven't gotten an email yet, so I'm guessing the rejection/invite will say there?

On their website in the what happens next/ the application process it says the cut off is 2630 for interview invite.. Also if you go back a page or so in this discussion you can see it too.

Original post by powertotheppl
Best of luck for your other choices x

Original post by MontyMedic
You have a great attitude, best of luck to you with your other choices.

Thank you both so much!! It is a bit disheartening as I am a repeater and been through all the rejections before, but that's life lol! So just keep my chin up and concentrate on getting the grades. Things will fall into place eventually and I will be in the place that I am supposed to be at in the end :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello Salwa (and everyone)

Um - I do not understand what you mean by 2.5A*. How do you get half an A*? (If you mean a GCSE short course, we discount those)

You need a minimum of 5A grades at GCSE (and at least a B in English Language, Maths and Science). An A* counts as a A for this purpose (we do not rank on academic attainment). (For the "Science" GCSE we accept "Science" but we also accept named sciences - biology, chemistry, etc.

If your GCSEs have been graded numerically, a 7 = A, 6 = B and 4 = C. (So we count 8 and 9 as an A and 5 as a C).

Best wishes

Julian
Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions
Hi Julian,

Will the University of Sheffield consider international applicants who have just enrolled in a degree programme of another university in the year of application?
Does anyone know if you get given a set date for the interview or do you have the option of choosing?
Reply 187
Original post by JoannaF
Does anyone know if you get given a set date for the interview or do you have the option of choosing?

They give you a set date and time.
Original post by akalya
They give you a set date and time.

Is there an option to change the date, for example, if you are unable to attend the date they have given?
Original post by S.Ahmad
Is there an option to change the date, for example, if you are unable to attend the date they have given?

If you have a reasonable explanation for not being able to attend, they will try to accommodate.
Reply 190
(edited 5 years ago)
As a preface, I’d just like to say I’m aware this is a very silly question.

I’m worried about what to wear to the inteview? I don’t own a suit so is it okay to simply wear a smart dress?

Also (again very silly question) but if I wear a coat to the interview, would I need to keep it on at each interview station or simply carry it over my arm or take it off at each station and then put it back on after?
sorry to ask and this is probably a stupid question but does anyone know if there’s an order to which the interview invites are sent out? or is it just random?
Have a look at post #162 from Julian.
Invites are being sent out in no particular order.
Original post by mammy1
Have a look at post #162 from Julian.
Invites are being sent out in no particular order. a

It appears so far that the people who had invitations on Friday have very high UKCAT scores though..

My UKCAT is above the cut point, so it’s just a case of being patient 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SanityIsGone
It appears so far that the people who had invitations on Friday have very high UKCAT scores though...

Agreed that of the posts seen so far on TSR from applicants with an invite, high Ukcat scorers have posted. However I really don’t think that all applicants use this media. I also think that Julian is very transparent and up front, I have no reason to doubt what he has said.
The main thing is to focus on the fact that if your UKCAT was above the cut off and your other academics are in place, then you will receive an interview.
Original post by Amie564
As a preface, I’d just like to say I’m aware this is a very silly question.

I’m worried about what to wear to the inteview? I don’t own a suit so is it okay to simply wear a smart dress?

Also (again very silly question) but if I wear a coat to the interview, would I need to keep it on at each interview station or simply carry it over my arm or take it off at each station and then put it back on after?

I'm not sure there's any such thing as a silly question if you haven't been through it before :smile:

A lot of the guys wear suits, but not all of them. A lot of the girls don't. They wear a variety of things eg: suits, trousers and blouse etc. My daughter wore a smart dress with a jacket, but if you don't have a jacket which matches, then anything which looks smart will do. On hospital attachments she often wears a smart dress, which looks professional enough for seeing patients. Whatever you do, once you've made your choice, don't get there and worry about what other people are wearing - as long as they can see you're taking the process seriously it's not really going to matter.

You don't have to carry your coat around with you. There will be somewhere to leave it.
Just got an interview, beyond psyched!!! Thank you Julian <3
Original post by hydrogen123
Just got an interview, beyond psyched!!! Thank you Julian <3

Can I ask what your ukcat was??
Original post by beth212xx
Can I ask what your ukcat was??

2700 Band 1

Latest

Trending

Trending