The Student Room Group

Alevels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1234mt
I did AQA Biology and OCR A Chemistry.

Biology was so interesting. AS topics I found were very straight forward and easy to understand. A2 were more complicated, but once you remembered it it was fine. Biology is just a lot of content, but topics do link together. Biology is all about practicing once you remembered it as the questions can be very strange and the mark scheme is VERY specific, hence why it was 64% for an A* this year I presume😂.

Chemistry to me was straight forward. The good thing is that the topics can be completely different from physical to organic, so if you’re not good at one topic then there’s plenty of other topics for you to excel at. The exams were good too; very straight forward questions unlike biology and very little application I found.

If you would like me to send my revision material, I am happy to. I made sure I put every single little detail that could possibly be asked just to make sure and some off spec knowledge. Paper 3 in biology you write an essay that you need off spec knowledge to gain full marks. I got A* in both so I think they paid off😂

Omg of you don’t mind can you please send the OCR chemistry revision materials you used since my exam board is OCR. thank youuu!
Original post by Blablaboopp
Me too omd im starting sixth form alone and I can’t stop worrying about it and on top of that I’m doing bio chem and psychology.

Im doing biology chemistry and history so I’m in for a rollercoaster for the next 2 years 😂 I also have to take the train for an hour everyday just to get to college 😭
Reply 22
I did Biology and Chemistry A Level this year. I’d say that I personally found biology harder because it is much more applied than chemistry. I found that after doing many past papers the chemistry questions did become repetitive so you can pick up on what the mark scheme wants for you so you can target your answers to what the mark scheme wants. Biology is very applied so as soon as you learn the content then practice as many questions as possible so you can get a feel for what it wants. For the essay, if you do AQA, I wrote about 5 that we were set by school but planned about 30. I wrote down the title and for each one wrote 5 topics that I could talk about. Also for the essay I didn’t bother with the off-spec examples because you can still get 22/25 (if I remember rightly) without off spec examples and I still got an A* even without the off spec stuff.

In terms of resources, I really liked Allery Chemistry and Chem Guide for chemistry. I didn’t really use many online resources for Biology but I watched some of the free videos on Tailored Tutors and they were good. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by daisie
I did Biology and Chemistry A Level this year. I’d say that I personally found biology harder because it is much more applied than chemistry. I found that after doing many past papers the chemistry questions did become repetitive so you can pick up on what the mark scheme wants for you so you can target your answers to what the mark scheme wants. Biology is very applied so as soon as you learn the content then practice as many questions as possible so you can get a feel for what it wants. For the essay, if you do AQA, I wrote about 5 that we were set by school but planned about 30. I wrote down the title and for each one wrote 5 topics that I could talk about. Also for the essay I didn’t bother with the off-spec examples because you can still get 22/25 (if I remember rightly) without off spec examples and I still got an A* even without the off spec stuff.

In terms of resources, I really liked Allery Chemistry and Chem Guide for chemistry. I didn’t really use many online resources for Biology but I watched some of the free videos on Tailored Tutors and they were good. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank youuu ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest