The Student Room Group

A level subject choice?

Hey guys,
I've recently started yr 12 and I've decided to do maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. I want to study medicine at Uni. However, I was thinking if I should swap Maths for English Literature. This is because I found Maths hard in yr 11 but I still managed to get 8. Similarly, I enjoyed the text we did for English lit and I managed to get an 8 even if I was predicted a 9.
So my question for you guys is if I should swap Maths for English, but the problem is that I did Edexcel for GCSE English but in my college they do AQA English. Therefore, I'm worried that I won't enjoy English as much due to the different type of questions.
Any tips on what should I do?

Thank you in advance
Original post by Vmex
Hey guys,
I've recently started yr 12 and I've decided to do maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. I want to study medicine at Uni. However, I was thinking if I should swap Maths for English Literature. This is because I found Maths hard in yr 11 but I still managed to get 8. Similarly, I enjoyed the text we did for English lit and I managed to get an 8 even if I was predicted a 9.
So my question for you guys is if I should swap Maths for English, but the problem is that I did Edexcel for GCSE English but in my college they do AQA English. Therefore, I'm worried that I won't enjoy English as much due to the different type of questions.
Any tips on what should I do?

Thank you in advance

As long as you have Chem and Bio, then most unis dont care about the third , so just do the one you can get the highest grade in with least effort.

The difference between exam boards makes little difference although look at some past papers yourself so you can see.
omggggg you're literally me. I got an 8 for GCSE maths but was so scared about taking maths because there are so many maths gurus out there, managed to scrape an A for AS tho. As someone applying for med this year, I think maths is so important to at least take for AS bc it's so helpful for UKCAT/BMAT & complements sciences so well. Take the subject that you find easier & more enjoyable tho :smile: as long as you get AAA or better for med, unis dont care what your third subject is
Reply 3
Maths is better respected than English so would probably help your application. Also chemistry contains ALOT of maths, taking the subject isn’t essential but it will greatly help you.

Don’t worry too much about the difficulty, I struggled with maths massively at GCSE (got two B’s which is a 6 i think?) but just finished with A*s in maths and further maths, with hard work you’ll be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest