The Student Room Group

Higher History 2018-19

Hi! Starting this thread for anyone studying higher history this year :smile:

Scroll to see replies

hey!!! what topics is everyone doing? we’re doing the Great War 1914-1928 (for the Scottish one), Britain 1851-1951 (for the British one obvs) and appeasement and the road to war (for European)

the course so far is fine imo but I don’t like the changes to the essays :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by keitlenchips
hey!!! what topics is everyone doing? we’re doing the Great War 1914-1928 (for the Scottish one), Britain 1851-1951 (for the British one obvs) and appeasement and the road to war (for European)

the course so far is fine imo but I don’t like the changes to the essays :frown:

Hi! I'm doing Migration and Empire for the Scottish section, also Britain and then the USA for the Europe and the World section :smile:
I don't mind the essays however we have just started learning how to do evaluation which I'm finding quite difficult. :/
How are you scoring on the essays? I got 13 marks the first time and then 17 marks for my second essay (both out of 18 because they didn't include evaluation).
Original post by Lucyy26
Hi! I'm doing Migration and Empire for the Scottish section, also Britain and then the USA for the Europe and the World section :smile:
I don't mind the essays however we have just started learning how to do evaluation which I'm finding quite difficult. :/
How are you scoring on the essays? I got 13 marks the first time and then 17 marks for my second essay (both out of 18 because they didn't include evaluation).

first essay I did I got 16/22 which was pretty good but recently I got 21/22 for one of my essays :biggrin:D (the teacher who originally marked it marks for advanced higher and he gave me 22)

Recently did a two source question and got 0/10 but managed to squeeze in two points
Reply 4
first essay I did I got 16/22 which was pretty good but recently I got 21/22 for one of my essays :biggrin:D (the teacher who originally marked it marks for advanced higher and he gave me 22)

Recently did a two source question and got 0/10 but managed to squeeze in two points

Wow that so good, well done! I have my first essay out of 22 on Thursday in timed conditions so I have my fingers crossed for that!

I've heard that the source questions are the most difficult part :frown: We've not started them yet - we are doing them after Christmas.
Original post by Lucyy26
Wow that so good, well done! I have my first essay out of 22 on Thursday in timed conditions so I have my fingers crossed for that!

I've heard that the source questions are the most difficult part :frown: We've not started them yet - we are doing them after Christmas.

Thank you!!! We’ve officially only covered evaluate the usefulness so to see a two source question was bad :frown:

I don’t know if you did nat 5 history but the how fully questions are just the same, just worth 10 marks now. again, we had no practice with them and I managed to get 7/10. A part of me is super glad that only 1/3 of the Exam is source based
Reply 6
Thank you!!! We’ve officially only covered evaluate the usefulness so to see a two source question was bad :frown:

I don’t know if you did nat 5 history but the how fully questions are just the same, just worth 10 marks now. again, we had no practice with them and I managed to get 7/10. A part of me is super glad that only 1/3 of the Exam is source based

Yeah, I did the old Nat5 in 2017 (I think they changed it for the 2018 Nat5 exam) when I was S4 and got an A but then dropped it in S5. Now I'm S6 and I've picked it back up again. So I hope it's the same as when I did it because that would make my life easier!! I think I prefer the essays though, I just need to speed up with writing!
Original post by Lucyy26
Yeah, I did the old Nat5 in 2017 (I think they changed it for the 2018 Nat5 exam) when I was S4 and got an A but then dropped it in S5. Now I'm S6 and I've picked it back up again. So I hope it's the same as when I did it because that would make my life easier!! I think I prefer the essays though, I just need to speed up with writing!

ooo the 2017 exam was lovely. great questions imo and it was before The Change™️

The 2018 Paper was changed- nothing major but small things like essay questions being worth 9 marks, couldn’t format certain things but it wasn’t ~horrendous~
Reply 8
ooo the 2017 exam was lovely. great questions imo and it was before The Change™️

The 2018 Paper was changed- nothing major but small things like essay questions being worth 9 marks, couldn’t format certain things but it wasn’t ~horrendous~

Nat5 History was the one I was the most nervous about but the exam wasn't actually as bad as I thought! Are you in S5 then?
Original post by Lucyy26
Nat5 History was the one I was the most nervous about but the exam wasn't actually as bad as I thought! Are you in S5 then?

I was also worried for history as I’m either great at it or bad at it. We had a question in our exam about suffragettes and we never learned that so I was super nervous! and yeah I’m S5!

if you don’t mind me asking, what are planning on doing at university?
Reply 10
I was also worried for history as I’m either great at it or bad at it. We had a question in our exam about suffragettes and we never learned that so I was super nervous! and yeah I’m S5!

if you don’t mind me asking, what are planning on doing at university?

Oh no, that would have freaked me out!

Primary Education! I want to be a primary school teacher so I'm applying for that :smile: What about you?
Original post by Lucyy26
Oh no, that would have freaked me out!

Primary Education! I want to be a primary school teacher so I'm applying for that :smile: What about you?

oh I have a friend who wants to be a primary school teacher!!

For 3 uni’s I’m applying for chemistry but then for my last two I’m applying for chemistry/maths :biggrin:D
Reply 12
oh I have a friend who wants to be a primary school teacher!!

For 3 uni’s I’m applying for chemistry but then for my last two I’m applying for chemistry/maths :biggrin:D

oooh that'll be interesting! I took higher chemistry last year but I was really bad at it so I've not taken it to advanced higher but I love maths so I'm doing advanced maths this year which I'm really liking! :smile:
Which unis are you thinking of applying for?
Original post by Lucyy26
oooh that'll be interesting! I took higher chemistry last year but I was really bad at it so I've not taken it to advanced higher but I love maths so I'm doing advanced maths this year which I'm really liking! :smile:
Which unis are you thinking of applying for?

Glad to hear advanced maths isn’t awful ! I haven’t really heard the best about it...

For Chem I’m applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen and for Chem/Maths I’m applying to Glasgow and Leeds!

What about you?
Reply 14
Glad to hear advanced maths isn’t awful ! I haven’t really heard the best about it...

For Chem I’m applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen and for Chem/Maths I’m applying to Glasgow and Leeds!

What about you?

I was expecting it to be horrendous but it's defo not as bad as expected!

I'm applying to Queen Margaret, Strathclyde, Dundee, Aberdeen and Stirling :smile:
Original post by Lucyy26
I was expecting it to be horrendous but it's defo not as bad as expected!

I'm applying to Queen Margaret, Strathclyde, Dundee, Aberdeen and Stirling :smile:

Ooo sounds good!!

If you don’t mind me asking, what results did you get in S5?
Reply 16
Ooo sounds good!!

If you don’t mind me asking, what results did you get in S5?

I got straight As at Nat5 and 4As (maths, human bio, german and english) and a B (chemistry) in my Highers. Hoping I'll get an unconditional to uni but you can never be sure!
Original post by Lucyy26
I got straight As at Nat5 and 4As (maths, human bio, german and english) and a B (chemistry) in my Highers. Hoping I'll get an unconditional to uni but you can never be sure!

Wow!! Major congrats for those results they’re great!!!
Reply 18
Wow!! Major congrats for those results they’re great!!!

Thank you so much! I tried really hard so I'm glad it paid off :smile:

I have a history test tomorrow so I'll update you on how that goes!
Original post by Lucyy26
Thank you so much! I tried really hard so I'm glad it paid off :smile:

I have a history test tomorrow so I'll update you on how that goes!

Hope it goes well!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending