The Student Room Group

Postgraduate social life at Imperial

I’m going to start my Masters in Public Health at Imperial in a few weeks but I’m regretting having chosen Imperial over Warwick simply due to the fact that I won’t have a social life at Imperial.

The course is really intensive and I’ve always heard students at Imperial don’t like to go out, do students at Imperial have a social life?? I wanted to go somewhere that I could have an active social life and had initially accepted Warwick but changed to Imperial due to its high ranking. Did I make a mistake? Would be great to hear from Imperial students, undergrad and postgrads.

Also, can postgrads at Imperial join societies there?
Bump
yeah you will have a non-existent social life for 1 year.

you chose a brilliant course you've gotta stick with now so run with it.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
yeah you will have a non-existent social life for 1 year.

you chose a brilliant course you've gotta stick with now so run with it.

I really wanted to go somewhere that I’d be able to have an active social life since I didn’t enjoy my undergrad and didn’t make many friends there. I’m gonna see how it goes for a month then I might drop out. This course at imperial is so intense i feel so anxious about it already.
Original post by HelloGoodbye
I really wanted to go somewhere that I’d be able to have an active social life since I didn’t enjoy my undergrad and didn’t make many friends there. I’m gonna see how it goes for a month then I might drop out. This course at imperial is so intense i feel so anxious about it already.

if you didn't make many friends at Undergrad you certainly wouldn't make any at any university wherever you do a masters - all postgrad experiences in the country will be more 'sterile' than undergrad.

You ought to know how incredibly quickly it will go, 1 year feels like a few weeks (not untrue is it?) so i think you should think positive and stick with it if the subject is your passion. you'll be out of there in no time
Original post by CollectiveSoul
if you didn't make many friends at Undergrad you certainly wouldn't make any at any university wherever you do a masters - all postgrad experiences in the country will be more 'sterile' than undergrad.

You ought to know how incredibly quickly it will go, 1 year feels like a few weeks (not untrue is it?) so i think you should think positive and stick with it if the subject is your passion. you'll be out of there in no time

It’s not just the social life, it’s the intensity of the course at Imperial that’s worrying me. I’m gonna have to do exams and a dissertation and go in everyday. At Warwick I’d only have to go in to uni for a week a month and there’s no exams or dissertation.

I’m thinking I might drop out of Imperial after a month if i can’t handle it and reapply to Warwick? Also, people at Imperial seem to be really nerdy and I don’t wanna be around boring people like that.
Any postgrads from imperial who can help me out here?
(edited 5 years ago)
Bump
How did this go in the end?
Original post by DuckDodgers
How did this go in the end?

A disaster lol. I dropped out. I knew it wasn’t gonna be the place for me before I even began but going there just confirmed it. Are u gonna do ur masters there?
A disaster lol. I dropped out. I knew it wasn’t gonna be the place for me before I even began but going there just confirmed it. Are u gonna do ur masters there?

No, not at all. I stumbled on this thread randomly so thought I'd ask.

Sorry to hear about it going badly. I had a similar experience at Sussex a few years before the loans came through; I went for three weeks and weighed up the pros and cons before dropping out. It made me feel bad for a few months after so I hope you're not feeling similarly dejected.

At least you gave it a shot.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DuckDodgers
No, not at all. I stumbled on this thread randomly so thought I'd ask.

Sorry to hear about it going badly. I had a similar experience at Sussex a few years before the loans came through; I went for three weeks and weighed up the pros and cons before dropping out. It made me feel bad for a few months after so I hope you're not feeling similarly dejected.

At least you gave it a shot.

Was that for your undergrad? And I’ve been trying to find a job since I left but no luck so that’s making me feel like s***. Also, my mum is sooo disappointed that I dropped out cos she’s obsessed with imperial just cos her friend’s daughter goes there ??? So I feel like I’m stuck in limbo until I do my Masters next year. It’s really frustrating.
Was that for your undergrad? And I’ve been trying to find a job since I left but no luck so that’s making me feel like s***. Also, my mum is sooo disappointed that I dropped out cos she’s obsessed with imperial just cos her friend’s daughter goes there ??? So I feel like I’m stuck in limbo until I do my Masters next year. It’s really frustrating.

No for a master's degree. I moved there and everything before I realised they weren't running a number of modules I'd intended to take. The lecturers seemed unenthusiastic as well so I basically said **** it and left within a few weeks. It was a brilliant decision - one of the best I've ever made.

If it helps, my life felt rubbish for a few months afterwards but I ended up finding a job and moving out and really my life ended up being so much for not going.

Food for thought. Keep plugging away!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending