The Student Room Group

Most difficult decisions of my life, please help :(

Hi all,

I will be graduating from my degree next month and it’s in psychology. I don’t know whether to pursue a masters or not although I know how much they are valued to go into careers in my field. I just feel like I didn’t enjoy my undergraduate degree and I’m scared to struggle in a masters + I don’t have a job or much money to pay for it (but my parents have offered to pay but I feel wrong taking so much money.)

I could also go into full time work - there is a job opportunity in a secondary school in an admin position near me. However I am scared of a full time job as I’ve only ever worked retail part time jobs and don’t know what to expect.

What should I do I’m so lost and confused
Hi,

TBH, it really depends on what you didn't like about your undergraduate experience.

Postgraduate students have a completely different dynamic to undergraduate students. They tend to be a lot more grown-up, as in they've "been there, done that" with all the party hard life style. University accommodation tend to separate undergraduates and postgraduates for that very reason (both halls and private housing). Don't get me wrong, they're not complete social hermits, and most universities will have some kind of postgraduate committee / society that arranges things like social events, as well as advice / support for specific postgraduate needs.

The work structure is different as you'll be studying a complete year; without any summer break. Some courses won't have lectures over the summer period but that will be when you're expected to complete a report / dissertation; so you won't have much of a summer... but it IS only for one year (unless you decide to do a doctorate).

IMHO, with more people going to University / higher education these days (and a competitive job market), a postgrad degree will give you an extra edge over those who don't have it. Also, in mainland Europe, they really respect Postgraduate qualifications. The students, themselves tend to be more work-focused... I think because, as you say, many of them are paying out of their own pockets for it... and they want to get their moneys worth.

Also, would you want to stay at your current university or go somewhere different? If it was your uni you didn't like, a new environment will do you good and allows you to make a complete fresh start.

How secure is the Admin job? Is it permanent or are you, say covering someone's maternity leave or sabbatical? Generally, if you wanted a post grad, it's better to do it straight after your undergrad as you'll still have the student / studying mindset; although some may argue that a break from it may do you good.

I know you say you feel bad about your parents paying for it... but couldn't you look at it as a loan? You could agree to pay them back over a period when you're in a full time job with flexible T's & C's. Alternatively, you could look at getting a Career Development Loan (most banks will offer this for post graduate funding, if you can present a good enough case).
Remember you've got the experience of writing a dissertation now (you'd be surprised how much it'll count, with the planning etc. even if you made mistakes, you'll be surprised how much you've learnt from them). During your undergraduate years, you will have had to juggle your dissertation with all your other studies (plus a social life presumably?). Maybe it depends on the structure of the masters, but the dissertation is normally done over the summer, and you focus entirely on that. Also it's likely all of the modules you study may be relevant (as opposed to only a few; more likely the case for your undergraduate?).

It's very difficult to return to full time education after having worked. Even many of those who do sandwich courses (i.e. a 4 year undergrad with a year in industry) find it hard to adjust back to studying and many say they would've stayed in work if they could. Would you consider a career in Admin or an educational environment? If you would, then the experience you'd get from that role would be valuable in that endeavour.

Also you have to be realistic... life is bound to get in the way. It sounds easy in theory saving money, but IRL, you'll find all sorts of temptations. There will be work socials; you may have to start paying back student loans; you may develop a taste for the good life (eating out, designer clothes, nice cars etc); you may fancy a holiday somewhere etc. etc. It's different if you were dead-set on doing a masters, you may be more disciplined. This is why I think it's better to do a postgrad straight after a degree... but that's just my opinion.

Maybe research the jobs you are interested in doing long term... talk to those in the sector and find out for yourself how much a postgraduate qualification would likely benefit YOU.
(edited 9 months ago)
Yeah I think your right, I am leaning towards going into HR so this position might be good for me in terms of experience ect. As I don’t think I really enjoyed the clinical side of my degree which is what is really focused on in the masters. It’s just so hard to choose between because on one hand I want to study but also I don’t and I want to work and get some experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending