The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Programme

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gnsxoqkr0210
Is it possible to apply for other universities through UCAS after finishing the foundation program provided by Durham University

e.g.) UCL, Warwick

Bit of a stab in the back isn't it? Especially considering you're really in no position to be picky as I assume your academic record is poor given you have taken a foundation year. Personally I believe foundation years should be scrapped so count yourself lucky.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Slaughter&amp
Bit of a stab in the back isn't it? Especially considering you're really in no position to be picky as I assume your academic record is poor given you have taken a foundation year. Personally I believe foundation years should be scrapped so count yourself lucky.

What an extremely ignorant reply. First of all, everyone should be picky when it comes to their education, particularly if it is costing them £9250 a year. Second of all, people choose to do Foundation years for any number of reasons, so you can't just assume to know their situation. Third of all, even if the OP does have a poor academic record, that does not mean they shouldn't try to follow the path that they feel is right for them, in the university of their choice. There was really no need to be so rude in your reply - if the success of foundation year students makes you feel so threatened, then I would suggest you try working harder on your degree so you're not so insecure.
Reply 3
Original post by gnsxoqkr0210
Is it possible to apply for other universities through UCAS after finishing the foundation program provided by Durham University

e.g.) UCL, Warwick

It is possible. You may find that Durham may not be for you after the foundation year. I've known students to do the foundation year and go to other universities. Remember the foundation course is not an access course, and is designed as one course such as subject (foundation) not foundation course + degree. If you aim is for UCL look into access course for that university, they will do things differently to Durham. The modules at Durham are designed to fit the course of your chosen subject.
Original post by Slaughter&Ovary

Wow what a bunch of ********.
Don't listen to that guy. You should definitely put your own ambition over the needs of the university, really no such thing as loyalty, half the uni would have jumped at an offer from cambridge. To answer your question: yes you can and i've seen many do it. Although the foundation diploma does by itself nlt qualify you to study elsewhere its upto other universtuniv discretion to accept you. So contact your university of choice and ask them, only way to find out.

To come back to the guy who claimed foundation year to be scrapped: The majority of foundation students are international students whose education grades don't easily translate into A-Levels. You may have finished college in Qatar but aren't eligible to go straight into year 1. The foundation in this case offers the university as well as the student a way to qualify.
It also offers many people that have been out of school for maybe 30 years, to have a way back into university. And by all means, Durham university needs the foundation course dearly as it significantly affects their diversity qouta. Less the whole uni is full of privately schooled Rah's

Also remember that all the chinese students pay the most fees, thanks to them we get nice things.

Quick Reply

Latest