The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How is Durham for computer science?

I am an international student studying full IB diploma. I just got an offer from Durham for CS, it's my first offer and I got it less than a week after I submitted my application. Still very surprised and happy. Now I wanted to hear any opinions I can know about the school and if possible specifically about their computer science program!

If anyone wants to ask questions, I'm willing to answer too
Original post by BangPitung
I am an international student studying full IB diploma. I just got an offer from Durham for CS, it's my first offer and I got it less than a week after I submitted my application. Still very surprised and happy. Now I wanted to hear any opinions I can know about the school and if possible specifically about their computer science program!

I have a question. Why solicit opinions about the university and its computer science programme after having applied and received an offer. Wouldn't it have been more sensible to only have applied to universities / courses you were happy with?

(Congratulations on the offer, by the way! :smile:)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I have a question. Why solicit opinions about the university and its computer science programme after having applied and received an offer. Wouldn't it have been more sensible to only have applied to universities / courses you were happy with?

(Congratulations on the offer, by the way! :smile:)

I'm happy with the university and courses, have talked with their representative too, but would love to learn more about them that are I guess more specific, such as the difficulty of the course, social life, secret/important spot and places, job opportunities, etc. I guess I could/would/should have asked this before actually applying but well time past already, I already applied, and I already got an offer. Probably will do same question with the other universities I am applying. Anyway thanks!

It is an awesome degree, and they offer fantastic Masters courses as well. Career prospects are awesome too. 🙂

Hiya

You can talk to current Comp Sci students on Unibuddy who can tell you what their experience has been at Durham. Also these blogs might help:

https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/whats-it-like-studying-computer-science/
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/whats-it-like-studying-computer-science-2/
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/looking-back-on-a-degree-in-computer-science/

I'm happy to answer more general questions about student life at Durham so feel free to reach out :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 5

Where else have you applied? I've applied to Durham as well but I'm considering it more as an insurance choice than anything else, provided I get the offer. I'm still waiting. I have offers from Imperial, Manchester and Edinburgh.

I would say that the course itself is quite good! It's mathematical and very much theory based, which will provide you with good foundations. The only thing missing I would say is more practical modules but other than that, it's great.

Grad prospects are decent too but I would say it's definitely more focussed on research (as are all Russell Groups) so it's not really just Durham that is research oriented.

However, the one thing about Durham that is simply amazing is the student community. The collegiate system ensures a close-knit community, which may be something you are after.

Quick Reply

Latest