The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Engineering (probably Mechanical)

My school's application deadline is within the next few days, but I am totally unsure on which of Oxford or Cambridge to apply to for Engineering. I have looked at the course content for both unis and Cambridge appeals to me more in that aspect because it is apparently more mathematical. Cambridge is also said to be considered significantly better for engineering so it would be looked upon more favourably.

However, I have visited both universities and I much prefer the atmosphere and livelihood of Oxford. Therefore I am in a dilemma over which of these unis to apply for as, although I would prefer the actual degree of Cambridge, I'm not sure if I'd be able to stay in an apparently 'boring' town for 4 years.

Any advice would be appreciated
Original post by dan_13579
My school's application deadline is within the next few days, but I am totally unsure on which of Oxford or Cambridge to apply to for Engineering. I have looked at the course content for both unis and Cambridge appeals to me more in that aspect because it is apparently more mathematical. Cambridge is also said to be considered significantly better for engineering so it would be looked upon more favourably.

However, I have visited both universities and I much prefer the atmosphere and livelihood of Oxford. Therefore I am in a dilemma over which of these unis to apply for as, although I would prefer the actual degree of Cambridge, I'm not sure if I'd be able to stay in an apparently 'boring' town for 4 years.

wherever you go for engineering, you will earn well in the future.
Reply 2
Original post by dan_13579

Pick the *course* you prefer. However neither is viewed "more favourably" than the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest