The Student Room Group

Can my manager refuse my request for overtime?

Okay, so I got a job at Sainsburys night shift. I work 3 day a week nights and it's a temporary 3 months contract and it takes me about 10 minutes to get there with an Uber. I found the same job at another Sainsburys store which is only 5 minutes away, Mon-Fri night shift, which fits my situation better as I really need the money. And now I'm upset cause this job is permanent while my job is temporary. As I really need more money, is there a chance that Sainsburys will refuse my request for overtime? I literally signed my contract last week, but if I didn't, I probably would have applied for the other job as its more shifts, more money and permanent.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sofia.dmtr
Okay, so I got a job at Sainsburys night shift. I work 3 day a week nights and it's a temporary 3 months contract and it takes me about 10 minutes to get there with an Uber. I found the same job at another Sainsburys store which is only 5 minutes away, Mon-Fri night shift, which fits my situation better as I really need the money. And now I'm upset cause this job is permanent while my job is temporary. As I really need more money, is there a chance that Sainsburys will refuse my request for overtime? I literally signed my contract last week, but if I didn't, I probably would have applied for the other job as its more shifts, more money and permanent.

Not seeing the problem here.
Apply for the new job. If you get it then just hand your notice in at the old one. As easy as that.

The current job is only temporary and the new job is permanent plus closer, those are good enough reasons.

Ps the overtime is available at their discretion and its not your right to have it , unless it says so on your contract.
Given it's another sainsburies your manager is likely to find out you applied. I would just say to her you don't want to be unreliable but you need to apply as it's more hours and permanent and you hope that's ok with her. Better to come from you.
Depends on the department some will have loads of overtime as not so much. My last department we always had overtime available and was ask each week if we wanted it. Run up to Christmas their will be a lot of overtime available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending