The Student Room Group

HM Treasury Graduate Scheme (2018/9)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Guys, do not stress about numerical times (I hope). Mine went on forever and I even stopped to make myself coffee! In total my time was 1 hour 30, so by comparison you guys did fine!
Original post by becka15833333
Help!!! I only took 8 minutes of my numerical test and I’m honestly panicking. It went from easy to really hard very quickly. What does this mean? Did I do good or am I just very stupid? Please advise. Apparently we get our results tomorrow and I want to be semi prepared.

Just out of interest, how do you know we're getting results tomorrow?

Hopefully getting harder like that is a good sign, show's that it was pushing you up and testing at higher levels :yy:
Original post by MrMooo
Guys, do not stress about numerical times (I hope). Mine went on forever and I even stopped to make myself coffee! In total my time was 1 hour 30, so by comparison you guys did fine!

Hero.
Original post by aubreywannabe
Just out of interest, how do you know we're getting results tomorrow?

Hopefully getting harder like that is a good sign, show's that it was pushing you up and testing at higher levels :yy:

Let’s hope so! I emailed them and asked when we’d expect to hear from them and they said today!
Reply 104
Let’s hope so! I emailed them and asked when we’d expect to hear from them and they said today!

I'm gonna be panic-refreshing this thread and my emails all day now haha!
Original post by Dupree
I'm gonna be panick-refreshing this thread and my emails all day now haha!

Seconding this 😂
What I'm struggling with mentally is being told I passed the tests and then later failing the review stage (sifting). Happened to me last year, was gutted! Sucks that it's judged on something you did before everything else, so there's no 'that's done, now next one' kinda thing!
Original post by Uncle_Fester
What I'm struggling with mentally is being told I passed the tests and then later failing the review stage (sifting). Happened to me last year, was gutted! Sucks that it's judged on something you did before everything else, so there's no 'that's done, now next one' kinda thing!

What I don’t understand is, if they haven’t yet judged our written bits in the first section. How did they decide who to put through to the verbal reasoning and numerical tests? Me and my friend both applied and I got through and she didn’t. So that doesn’t make much sense
What I don’t understand is, if they haven’t yet judged our written bits in the first section. How did they decide who to put through to the verbal reasoning and numerical tests? Me and my friend both applied and I got through and she didn’t. So that doesn’t make much sense

The SJT determines if you get through, the written answers are examined in the review (sifting) stage.
(I believe this is the case of course!)
(edited 5 years ago)
The SJT determines if you get through, the written answers are examined in the review (sifting) stage.
(I believe this is the case of course!)

I’m still a bit undecided about this, because me and my friend had very similar answers when doing the SJT bit, not 100-% the same but quite similar. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see
I’m still a bit undecided about this, because me and my friend had very similar answers when doing the SJT bit, not 100-% the same but quite similar. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see

Because it's a set pass rate, one wrong answer can determine if you got through or not. It's the problem with set SJT, NR, and VR. I could be wrong on how you get through on the initial stage, but I think a lot of others agree on this. Plus the information included on the website suggests it as well:

We want to see that you have an understanding of what HM Treasury does, and what Policy Advisers do. Reading the sections About us and The Graduate Programme on this website will help you with this.

We’ll assess your answer to the scenario question against the competency ‘working together’ in the Civil Service Success Profile Behaviours, Level 3. The ‘positive indicators’ for this competency will tell you a lot about what we’re looking for

The first answer may help you get through the first round and the second is what the review stage is about. There's no point reviewing on civil service competencies if you don't know if the individual would pass SJT, NR, and VR.
Because it's a set pass rate, one wrong answer can determine if you got through or not. It's the problem with set SJT, NR, and VR. I could be wrong on how you get through on the initial stage, but I think a lot of others agree on this. Plus the information included on the website suggests it as well:

[ul]
[li]We want to see that you have an understanding of what HM Treasury does, and what Policy Advisers do. Reading the sections About us and The Graduate Programme on this website will help you with this.[/li]
[li]We’ll assess your answer to the scenario question against the competency ‘working together’ in the Civil Service Success Profile Behaviours, Level 3. The ‘positive indicators’ for this competency will tell you a lot about what we’re looking for[/li]
[/ul]
The first answer may help you get through the first round and the second is what the review stage is about. There's no point reviewing on civil service competencies if you don't know if the individual would pass SJT, NR, and VR.

This makes so much more sense. Thank you!
This makes so much more sense. Thank you!

Anytime! Good luck!
Anyone heard anything?
Been waiting around all day double-checking emails and all. Slowly dying inside haha. I'm starting to think it'll be sent out close of business or another day.
Last year it looks like they got emails late in the evening so I wouldn’t give up just yet
Anyone heard anything? Did they say it was certain we'd hear today or just likely?
Original post by here2panic
Anyone heard anything? Did they say it was certain we'd hear today or just likely?

They said they were hoping to get back to candidates by the end of Friday so today.
They said they were hoping to get back to candidates by the end of Friday so today.

Ah, so it's likely gonna be Monday then. It's already past business hours now.
Original post by multra
It's interesting that you were all expecting the results on Friday. I only was emailed the link to the tests on that day, with my deadline being Tuesday (I completed them a few hours ago). I hope I don't prove to be the source of the delay.

I took 20 minutes with the VRT and 55 minutes with the NRT. I acted as though time were immaterial and triple-checked every answer before submitting. The NRT I felt went fine, but the VRT was interesting and is my main source of concern. I felt like I was answering 'Cannot Say' for quite a substantial majority of the questions, where the test offered what seemed to be very likely but not necessarily true conclusions/inferences.

VRT does that to ya, don't worry about it!
Hopefully, we hear back today. When did you do your test?

Quick Reply

Latest