The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

2018-2019 Stirling Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi I’m Nicola, applying for Law!My grades are AAAAB and predicted AAAA (2AH 2H) and really hoping to get in! Stirling is my first choice as well as Edinburgh! I sent my application today so I’m hoping to hear as soon as possible. How long has everyone else been waiting for offers?
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Original post by Molyy022
Thank you! I applied three weeks ago yesterday! Have you also applied to law?

I have applied to law at Stirling, Molly! Maybe we’ll both end up on the same course! Is it BA or LLB?
Original post by nicola1102
I have applied to law at Stirling, Molly! Maybe we’ll both end up on the same course! Is it BA or LLB?

It’s LLB! I’m already holding an offer for Aberdeen so it’s likely I’ll go there! Is Stirling your first choice?
Yeah, Stirling or Edinburgh are my first choices but I’m really struggling to choose between them. Aberdeen is a bit far from home for me, I want to move away but I think Aberdeen is just a bit too far if you get me! Congratulations on your offers though! I’m hoping for the best. How long did it take for the Unis to get back to you after applying?
Original post by nicola1102
Yeah, Stirling or Edinburgh are my first choices but I’m really struggling to choose between them. Aberdeen is a bit far from home for me, I want to move away but I think Aberdeen is just a bit too far if you get me! Congratulations on your offers though! I’m hoping for the best. How long did it take for the Unis to get back to you after applying?

Edinburgh is my first choice but I’m not sure I’ll get in there! I know of some people who already have law offers so I’m kind of losing hope :frown: Aberdeen is lovely but is definitely quite far away! Thanks v much, I’m sure you’ll hear back soon! I applied on the 5th of Nov, had two offers on the 12th and one yesterday, the 29th!
Original post by Molyy022
Edinburgh is my first choice but I’m not sure I’ll get in there! I know of some people who already have law offers so I’m kind of losing hope :frown: Aberdeen is lovely but is definitely quite far away! Thanks v much, I’m sure you’ll hear back soon! I applied on the 5th of Nov, had two offers on the 12th and one yesterday, the 29th!

Maybe we’ll both get into Edinburgh, then! I’ve heard Edinburgh has been fairly slow at getting back to people over the years so I’m trying to be optimistic about the whole situation!
Hi,

Some of us are making a groupchat for all Law applicants to discuss our applications :smile: feel free to pm me your Facebook details to be added :smile:
Hi everyone,

I got an unconditional offer for Law at Stirling which is my top choice along with Edinburgh. For everyone wondering, Stirling replied very quickly to me. I sent my application away on Friday 30th November and received an offer yesterday on Tuesday 4th December!
Reply 28
Original post by Revolver72
Hi!

I studied Computing Science at undergraduate [BSc(hons)] at the University of Stirling, then completed my postgradaute MSc Computing Science there too. During both degrees, I worked as a lab demonstrator for the division for the younger years' lab classes. Some anecdotal thoughts:

- Computing at Stirling is superb - certainly from my 5+ years experience of being there. The support network of staff is excellent, and the modules are really interesting. The syllabus is fairly varied. There's a focus on Object Oriented Programming, but we do get taught other paradigms too. Towards the end, there's exposure to modules on AI, Data Analytics, Cyber-Security and so on.

- There are plenty of labs, and they have people on hand to help where appropriate. There's a nice balance of coursework vs exams.

- The predominant language taught is Java.

- During dissertation phase, there's a great system in place with freedom of supervision and project choice.

- During the summer break between your penultimate and final years, there is the opportunity to take a summer placement with a business - do this, it's worth its weight in gold gaining valuable experience for your CV.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Hi! Just saw this. Yesterday I recieved an unconditional offer from Stirling! Thank you for your reply! Soooo glad to hear that the main language is java, I've pretty much only been doing java for the past 4 years. How is the employability for Stirling graduates with a bachelor's in CS?
It's really cool to see all you guys getting your offers, well done everyone :smile:

(goes back to silently hoping some more postgrads post after Christmas :lol: )
Original post by set8888
Hi! Just saw this. Yesterday I recieved an unconditional offer from Stirling! Thank you for your reply! Soooo glad to hear that the main language is java, I've pretty much only been doing java for the past 4 years. How is the employability for Stirling graduates with a bachelor's in CS?

No problem!

Brilliant, congratulations - delighted for you!

Sounds like you'll settle right in, then, if you have previous experience of Java. You may find that the first year labs are a little easy, then, particularly in first semester - stick at it, and get them signed off. Your practical labs are not 'graded' as such, you just do the work and get them signed off. However, they normally contribute ~10% of your course mark in first year, so it's an easy way to boost your grade! Get ahead with the labs if you can - you shouldn't have an issue if you know Java already! I taught on the first year CSCU9A1 module, so know what the labs are like, and I'm sure you'll find it a breeze.

Stirling Uni (at least recently) was the top ranked university in Scotland for Computing and IT employability. It was one of the reasons I went. Myself, and everyone I knew during my undergrad was offered jobs at the end of their 4 years. (Albeit, myself and one other went on to do the Postgraduate degree, and then go into employment).

I'd definitely recommend you do the 'Summer Placement' module between your penultimate and final year; it's a good bit of experience to stick on your CV to make you even more employable, and it's also a good opportunity to work with a company who may even offer you a job upon graduating!

Good luck with everything. Feel free to ask any questions at any point, and I can try my best to answer!
Applied to two courses at Stirling only yesterday and received unconditionals for both today! They seem to be replying almost instantly for a lot of people I’ve spoken to. Good luck everyone!
name - Chloecourse - History and Politicsother unis - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen
Name/Username: Lewis Watson
Course(s) Applied for: BSc Computer Science
Other Unis Applied to: Edinburgh, Stirling, Heriot-Watt, Dundee, Napier(Offer)
Anything Else: Applied before Christmas break so hoping for offers in the next couple of weeks :s-smilie: Really hoping for an offer!
Original post by lewiswatson
Name/Username: Lewis Watson
Course(s) Applied for: BSc Computer Science
Other Unis Applied to: Edinburgh, Stirling, Heriot-Watt, Dundee, Napier(Offer)
Anything Else: Applied before Christmas break so hoping for offers in the next couple of weeks :s-smilie: Really hoping for an offer!

Hi Lewis!

I did the BSc(hons) programme from Sept 2013 - June 2017. The Computing department seem to be very delayed with their responses, compare to the rest of the uni - a lot of my friends had offers for various other studies at UoS, but I didn't receive my offer until about March time. May have changed, but certainly I wouldn't be worrying at this stage.

I did my the BSc(hons) Computer Science course, and then a taught Postgraduate MSc in Computing there too, where I led some of the undergraduate's lab sessions, so if you've got any questions about the course, or the university in general, feel free to ask away.

Good luck!
Reply 35
Name: Mairi
Course: Sport and Exercise Science
Other Unis: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh Napier

Have received unconditionals for Stirling, Edinburgh and Glasgow, but Stirling is my definite favourite!
(edited 5 years ago)
applied for Stirling undergrad adult nursing. few in my group got interview dates today I haven't heard anything feeling deflated hope it's just a delay as this is my first choice. congrats to all offers accepted.
Reply 37
Hi! I'm applying to Stirling for English studies and history. So excited! Haven't got an offer yet though, so fingers crossed. I am also applying to Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth and Sussex.

Anyone know what social life is like at Stirling though? Nightlife?
Original post by aaelaa
Hi! I'm applying to Stirling for English studies and history. So excited! Haven't got an offer yet though, so fingers crossed. I am also applying to Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth and Sussex.

Anyone know what social life is like at Stirling though? Nightlife?

I don't know for sure as I'm not actually there yet (!) but from what I've heard and the research I've done, Stirling itself is quite quiet. There are a couple of clubby type venues in the town itself, as well as a few bars and pubs (I noticed some that looked pretty lively as I was walking around when I visited!) but worst comes to worst, Edinburgh and Glasgow are only a train ride away!
Stirling is good for nights out, plenty pubs etc also falkirk is not far they have lots of nightlife. if there were a few of you it would be ideal to get a taxi.

Quick Reply

Latest