The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hrbrdly
I'm thinking about doing one, but I am sure that I would be the only one who has no idea what is going on :p:albertein:

I'd encourage you to go. They are designed to enthuse not confuse you :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got into the Cambridge Sixth Form Law Conference?
Original post by Hrbrdly
I'm thinking about doing one, but I am sure that I would be the only one who has no idea what is going on :p:albertein:

I'm sure you'll be fine, you should go if you're able to!
Reply 103
Is it possible to apply for a first year student at a US university to apply for 2020 entry?

I know that Cambridge only considers applications from students at UK universities in exceptional circumstances, but could it possibly be different for US unis?

Also, I would probably be applying before the US university even starts, so if it is possible to apply for 2020 entry as a first year student at a US university, would it be fine to use my reference from my high school as I will not have started classes at the university yet?
Original post by jhast
Is it possible to apply for a first year student at a US university to apply for 2020 entry?

I know that Cambridge only considers applications from students at UK universities in exceptional circumstances, but could it possibly be different for US unis?

Also, I would probably be applying before the US university even starts, so if it is possible to apply for 2020 entry as a first year student at a US university, would it be fine to use my reference from my high school as I will not have started classes at the university yet?

Yes they are usually happier to consider non-UK university applicants. This can vary by college, so it's always best to double-check with any colleges you are short listing.
Original post by Hrbrdly
I'm thinking about doing one, but I am sure that I would be the only one who has no idea what is going on :p:

Original post by syrup.02
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?

I am hoping to get:
Biology- A*
Chemistry- A*
Maths- A*

2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge?

Medicine

3)What are your GCSE Grades?

9A*s, 1A and 2Bs

4)Why Cambridge?

Such a beautifulplace and i really like the course structure because i can feel more confident in clinical pratice. Also being surrounded by academic people can be stimulating

5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying?

Imperial, UCL, Kings, QUML

6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?

Im planning to

7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.

Volunteering at care home and at Kumon learning centre
Work exp at private clinic in india + observed laparascopic cholysectomy and laparoscopic appendicectomy
Volunteered at SJA
Tutoring GCSE student outside skl
Member of school 'anatomy and physiology society' and 'above and beyond biology a level society' Writing articles for school nat sci magazine Writing entries for science competitions
I can speak Bangla,Hindi,Spanish,French and english
piano grade 7
reading better by atul Gawande
(future work exp being arranged)

8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.

BMAT and UKCAT

Hi there! Great to see a fellow medic. Your grades seem very impressive (well done) and you seem to have a solid application. Just wanted to point out that if you are going to apply to Cambridge, UCL and Imperial they don't really place much if any, importance to things like how many languages you speak or any other form o extracurricular activity unless of course its medicine related. And even then make sure you explain in your PS what you learned not observed or how long you stayed. They only really care about work experience in terms of what it taught you about being a doctor and a medic's life and job in general. Not about how many you had or how long they were, although that's a bit obvious really.

But well done on all the extracurricular stuff you've done. Wish you all the best.
Original post by New Wonder
Hi there! Great to see a fellow medic. Your grades seem very impressive (well done) and you seem to have a solid application. Just wanted to point out that if you are going to apply to Cambridge, UCL and Imperial they don't really place much if any, importance to things like how many languages you speak or any other form o extracurricular activity unless of course its medicine related. And even then make sure you explain in your PS what you learned not observed or how long you stayed. They only really care about work experience in terms of what it taught you about being a doctor and a medic's life and job in general. Not about how many you had or how long they were, although that's a bit obvious really.

But well done on all the extracurricular stuff you've done. Wish you all the best.

hi, thanks a lot, i was wondering if you what emphasis unis place on reading as opposed to audiovisual sources like lectures/ted talks cus Im more into the latter.
Original post by syrup.02
hi, thanks a lot, i was wondering if you what emphasis unis place on reading as opposed to audiovisual sources like lectures/ted talks cus Im more into the latter.

Anything that helps you be curious about your subject is fine :yy:
I thought I might repost this post from a small thread over here:

I do think though that the importance of help fom schools might be exaggerated here - of course it's really useful and teachers who offer to help are amazing, but please don't worry if your school doesn't support you! I applied fo natural sciences at Cambridge from the Netherlands - this is particularly tricky as unis in my country don't select at all. This means most people hardly care about school and will only want to barely pass - doing better than that is seen as a waste of your time because you could be going out and hanging out with friends. Reading around your subject is even more rare - in fact, I only discovered people wrote books about science a year ago!

I often didn't feel too supported by my school, I had to sort out UCAS on my own, instruct my teachers on how to write a reference, find out how to write a PS, find books and articles to read and arrange lab shadowing at a uni (it was my countries biggest uni and not a single high school student had ever shadowed in the department before, if that illustrates my point), self-study one of my subjects because of timetabling issues (I would often find out about tests on the day because the department forgot to tell me), and self-study the biology and chemistry A levels (since I have to do many more irrelevant subjects so not all the A level material is covered for individual subjects), and practise for the admissions assessment. It was a lot of work, but the internet contains a wealth of knowledge. Applying to Cambridge is a lot of work for everyone, regardless of background.

I was in other ways hugely privileged: my parents have been to uni, they were able to support me financially without me having to pick up a part-time job or care for siblings, I never had to worry about paying UK tuition fees (which are 5x as high as fees here), and my teachers always believed in my ability to succeed.

Of course, if your school can help massively: that's amazing, it will make your life easier, and you should be very grateful. But don't fret if your school isn't too helpful and doesn't have much experience with oxbridge. You can still get in, many students will, and it will teach you determination, independence and will make you feel great if all works out. I am really grateful for my experience, it taught me so much coming from high school where you are largely spoon fed. Applying to Cambridge is less complicated than you think! Don't feel demotivated if your school won't help you.
Hi everyone :smile:

History - A*
Politics - A*
English Lit - A* ideally but I’d be fine with an A

Human, Social and Political Sciences

9999888A*6

4)Why Cambridge?

I really love the HSPS course and unfortunately they don’t offer it anywhere else. I also love the Cambridge environment particularly at Newnham and Murray Edwards which are probably the ones I want to apply to most. I know it’s a long shot and the course is competitive with lots of brillant applicants but I’d regret not going for it.

Not entirely sure but thinking about LSE, Durham, Bristol, UCL and maybe St Andrews

Not open days but I’ve visted the town and really liked it, planning to go to an open day this year and I’ve booked a Cambridge masterclass for History & Politics

7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.

EPQ, MUN, lots of reading, going to lectures and entering essay competitions.

Yes, I think it’s called the HSPSAA
Heyyyy y'all

Music - A*
Music Tech - A
Psychology - A*

Music...kinda obvious lol

88877776B (hopefully that's good enough)

4)Why Cambridge?

Sooo, I really want to go to a top uni to get a good education and to increase my chances of getting a job in the future (it's kinda hard to get into a career in music unless you're really good and outstanding and all that) so I thought it would be great if I went to Oxbridge cause that would definitely help on any job application and would definitely expand my knowledge of the subject I love. Also I'd love to experience going to one of the best unis in the world and feel as though I've accomplished something for once and feel like I'm actually good enough to do something as big as getting accepted into Oxbridge. I was originally dead set on going to Oxford for the past year but I've started doing more extensive research on it and it just...doesn't seem as appealing anymore. The modules in the music course just seem fairly boring (I mean, music can't be boring but they tend to focus on the "less interesting" bits) and Cambridge is the only one left out of the two so - here I am? I should probably mention I also absolutely love music and am really passionate about it and it's really the only thing I would want to have a career in tbh and I think Cambridge would definitely provide me with that opportunity and also it just looks really nice?

Southampton, possibly Bristol, Ediburgh and York

Not yet

Well, I've signed up to a Cambridge masterclass for music, I've applied to UNIQ (the Oxford summer school thing) and a Sutton Trust Summer School at Cambridge as well. I'm also going to be doing my grade 7 exam on the flute in the summer and I will continue to work towards grade 8 afterwards and I will sit my grade 5 theory in spring. I'm also reading books about music (especially how it affects us psychologically - it's actually really interesting stuff!). Okay, now that I think about it I should probably be doing more...any ideas? I was planning on joining an orchestra but I gotta be grade 7/8 for that so that's gonna have to wait until summer...

Nope! :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Government and Politics -- A*
History -- A*
Philosophy -- A
HSPS
9, A*, A*, A*, 7, A, A, B, B, B
4)Why Cambridge?
HSPS is a unique course combining politics with sociology and anthropology, which really appeals to me. I also adore the collegiate system! (Applying to St Johns)
LSE (Politics and International Relations), UCL (Politics and International Relations), KCL (International Relations)
I've been to a Politics & International Relations Subject Masterclass, which was great! I'm planning on going to the university-wide open day, the St John's Open Day, and the POLIS Department Open Day.
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
Reading half a dozen books (on politics, IR, sociology, and anthropology), as well as going to talks in London
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one?
Yep, would have to sit HSPSAA.
(edited 5 years ago)
@Doonesbury
I was wondering, to what extent do Cambridge admissions care about the content of your personal statement in relation to the specific course content? So, for example, two considerable interests of mine are Russian foreign policy and environmental politics, and I've made that clear through my extra reading and essay writing. I'm applying for HSPS, and neither of those are modules. Would that particularly matter to them?
Original post by ACherry
@Doonesbury
I was wondering, to what extent do Cambridge admissions care about the content of your personal statement in relation to the specific course content? So, for example, two considerable interests of mine are Russian foreign policy and environmental politics, and I've made that clear through my extra reading and essay writing. I'm applying for HSPS, and neither of those are modules. Would that particularly matter to them?

Sorry I'm not a PS reviewer. :smile:

But if you can tie your interests to the course then I'm sure it's fine... it doesn't need to be a direct 1-for-1 relationship.
Original post by Doonesbury
Sorry I'm not a PS reviewer. :smile:

But if you can tie your interests to the course then I'm sure it's fine... it doesn't need to be a direct 1-for-1 relationship.

I didn't think you were, you just seem rather knowledge. I've seen a couple other top-tier unis (LSE springs to mind) that actively say they look at whether the student's particular interests in the subject are relative to the course modules, so it slightly worried me that Cambridge might be the same, but if it doesn't need to be a direct 1-for-1, that's fine.
Original post by ACherry
I didn't think you were, you just seem rather knowledge. I've seen a couple other top-tier unis (LSE springs to mind) that actively say they look at whether the student's particular interests in the subject are relative to the course modules, so it slightly worried me that Cambridge might be the same, but if it doesn't need to be a direct 1-for-1, that's fine.

Well a key point is you should write your PS for the benefit of your 4 other choices. For a course like HSPS the additional PS in the SAQ is for your Cambridge specific version.
Original post by sbneelu
Is anyone planning to go to any of the Subject Masterclasses? I just filled in the form for the Computer Science one and they seem really good, I'm looking forward to it!

Yo sbneelu, I signed up to the CS one last year XD. Was eyeing it for a while. I went to the Engineering one which was v good, they give you so much info but I want to do CS so I waited until that one came up and applied. 16th Feb, only two weeks-ish away now
1) Maths - A* (gonna be taking in Y12), Further Maths - A*, Physics - A*, Economics - A
2) What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? Computer Science - 75% CS option
3) What are your GCSE Grades? 99888A*A*7777
4) Why Cambridge? Been a dream of mine for a couple years, one of the best unis in the UK, world, in terms of STEM. Would give me a great launchpad for later jobs

5) Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying? Warwick, Durham, Exeter, maybe Imperial
6) Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? Not yet, gonna go for them this June, July
7) What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. - Trying to get an A* for Maths this year (Y12), started looking at STEP and CSAT questions, getting back into coding (already know HTML and CSS, learning python well now), researching all I can about CS (videos, lectures, online courses)
8) Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one. - CSAT
Original post by -David.S-
1) Maths - A* (gonna be taking in Y12), Further Maths - A*, Physics - A*, Economics - A
2) What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge? Computer Science - 75% CS option
3) What are your GCSE Grades? 99888A*A*7777
4) Why Cambridge? Been a dream of mine for a couple years, one of the best unis in the UK, world, in terms of STEM. Would give me a great launchpad for later jobs

5) Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying? Warwick, Durham, Exeter, maybe Imperial
6) Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge? Not yet, gonna go for them this June, July
7) What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger. - Trying to get an A* for Maths this year (Y12), started looking at STEP and CSAT questions, getting back into coding (already know HTML and CSS, learning python well now), researching all I can about CS (videos, lectures, online courses)
8) Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one. - CSAT

CSAT is for sure a pain and so is STEP. I'm thinking about CS too at Cambridge, but I don't know how to display my passion for it; I have started on several projects using python, javascript and html/css, but idk if CS w/ maths is the right choice for me or something like medicine... Any lectures you can recommend?
Original post by somebrick
CSAT is for sure a pain and so is STEP. I'm thinking about CS too at Cambridge, but I don't know how to display my passion for it; I have started on several projects using python, javascript and html/css, but idk if CS w/ maths is the right choice for me or something like medicine... Any lectures you can recommend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0WoVEr0-44&list=PLWKjhJtqVAbmGw5fN5BQlwuug-8bDmabi
That's the link to the first video in an ongoing series. A channel called freeCodecamp are releasing free videos on Harvards CS50 - Into to CS course. Might be useful for you and just research on sites like edX, freecodecamp or any other online course websites. I'd also advise read up on Cambridge Computer Science reading lists, in particular, to show varied knowledge not just in coding.

In addition what kind of projects have you started in those languages?

Latest

Trending

Trending