The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohdearstudying
I really wouldn't worry about it, I think you'll be absolutely fine! I really wish you the best of luck in your application! It's true, I am trying to divert all of my attention onto the admissions test which I feel is a lot more pressing. Are you doing the test on the 30th or is yours at interview?

i have the GAA on the 30th aswell :frown: . at first is was quite an unusual test but now that ive done the past papers and practice i feel a lot more comfortable and less stressed for Wednesday .
Original post by maniccrammer
anyone thinking of PBS?

Me! Though I'm screwed because I don't do psychology and I find the essays really hard like i can't think that way
Do you think it’s worth missing a day of school to prepare for the admissions test this Wednesday?
Original post by RiemannN
Do you think it’s worth missing a day of school to prepare for the admissions test this Wednesday?

wait you're at school? I'm on half term.
Original post by Deggs_14
wait you're at school? I'm on half term.

I’m back at school unfortunately, I think independent schools get 2 weeks but most comprehensive, sixth form colleges, where I go, are back I believe. Anyway any advice?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RiemannN
I’m back at school unfortunately, I think independent schools get 2 weeks but most comprehensive, sixth form colleges, where I go, are back I believe. Anyway any advice?

I’d maybe do a few papers tonight if you have time, then take them in to school tomorrow and have your teachers of the subject you’re doing the test for have a look at them and give you some feedback, then do some more tomorrow evening?
Original post by dracodale
I’d maybe do a few papers tonight if you have time, then take them in to school tomorrow and have your teachers of the subject you’re doing the test for have a look at them and give you some feedback, then do some more tomorrow evening?

The only problem is I’m doing engineering and tomorrow is the day I don’t have physics, also my maths and chemistry teachers are unlikely to help me as they’ll prioritise people doing the MAT or any relevant chemistry exam as I’m sure students in my class will bring in questions for help. I just don’t want to be in lessons learning new content and stressing about my exam but at the same time I’m not sure if it’s worth missing lessons for.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi,
Anyone applying to Trinity, MML course?
Original post by awakealways
Me! Though I'm screwed because I don't do psychology and I find the essays really hard like i can't think that way

I’ve just started a level psych and oml I can’t wrap my head around research methods yet 😂 you don’t need to do psych tho for the degree so I’m sure it’ll be fine, what courses do you do??
I'm thinking of withdrawing my application and taking a gap year and applying next year instead
Would Cambridge be okay with that?
I'm applying for medicine
Original post by maniccrammer
I’ve just started a level psych and oml I can’t wrap my head around research methods yet 😂 you don’t need to do psych tho for the degree so I’m sure it’ll be fine, what courses do you do??

i do maths, economics and chemistry a levels so I don't really do philosophical essays just like brief fact-based ones
I did a mock essay at school and my teacher said it was not a great essay, poorly structured and I was like there's literally nothing I can do about this now bc it's too late... what college did you apply to?
Reply 1191
Original post by scienceyyy
I'm thinking of withdrawing my application and taking a gap year and applying next year instead
Would Cambridge be okay with that?
I'm applying for medicine

Great idea for medics to take a gap year, but now that you have done the application you may as well do as many interviews as you can this year, just regard them as practice for next year. You could also request deferred entry, it is not too late to do that.
Original post by TCL
Great idea for medics to take a gap year, but now that you have done the application you may as well do as many interviews as you can this year, just regard them as practice for next year. You could also request deferred entry, it is not too late to do that.

For deferred entry would I have to do interviews this year?
Also would they use my entrance test results from this year?
Reply 1193
Deferred applicants do their interviews this year. They then can get rejected, or get a deferred offer, or can get a normal (not deferred) offer. This all happens this "year" (you will hear the news in 2.5 months time).

It's usually "harder" to get a deferred offer, since you are asking the university to say "this person is definitely going to be in the top X% of applicants next year". Which obviously deals with more unknowns (the next year may have stronger applicants, or simply have more applicants and therefore the standard would also increase). So you would have to perform in a way that makes it clear that you would not be borderline for almost any year of admission.

The Uni may also look at your gap year plans and say quietly "I dont think so", and infer this with a direct offer. This wouldn't be for someone who has a clear and logical plan (e.g. going on a course, doing voluntary work, doing placements or something), but more for someone who just wants a gap year "for travelling" or who has absolutely no plans yet - I could see a number of academics taking the line that it's bad for your development to take a year out, particularly if the course heavily derives itself from A-Level subjects.

It's very very unusual, but also possible that you can get a deferred entry offer even if you didn't apply for it. There should be a section on the SAQ dealing with if you'd accept immediate/deferred offers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by R T
Deferred applicants do their interviews this year. They then can get rejected, or get a deferred offer, or can get a normal (not deferred) offer. This all happens this "year" (you will hear the news in 2.5 months time).

It's usually "harder" to get a deferred offer, since you are asking the university to say "this person is definitely going to be in the top X% of applicants next year". Which obviously deals with more unknowns (the next year may have stronger applicants, or simply have more applicants and therefore the standard would also increase). So you would have to perform in a way that makes it clear that you would not be borderline for almost any year of admission.

The Uni may also look at your gap year plans and say quietly "I dont think so", and infer this with a direct offer. This wouldn't be for someone who has a clear and logical plan (e.g. going on a course, doing voluntary work, doing placements or something), but more for someone who just wants a gap year "for travelling" or who has absolutely no plans yet - I could see a number of academics taking the line that it's bad for your development to take a year out, particularly if the course heavily derives itself from A-Level subjects.

It's very very unusual, but also possible that you can get a deferred entry offer even if you didn't apply for it. There should be a section on the SAQ dealing with if you'd accept immediate/deferred offers.

I got a deferred offer without applying for it last year! That was because I’m under 18 though
Reply 1195
Original post by Annamies
I got a deferred offer without applying for it last year! That was because I’m under 18 though

Yep, there was a bionatsci in my year from The Netherlands who had a deferred offer because she was also too smart for her own good at 17 also

I think the whole deferred offer thing is mostly down to college discretion though. While I know John's, Trinity, Emmanuel, Newnham do not have any problem taking younger students, I know that Catz and Pembroke seem to discourage it (and give deferred offers). Probably this is just boring admin/HR level stuff (since being under 18 means you can't do various things, and also means if you get into trouble or something happens to you, the body (the college) responsible is held to a different standard). The colleges probably do not make this kind of internal admin level decision public so there's really no way to know apart from anecdotal "evidence".
Original post by teddy12345
i have the GAA on the 30th aswell :frown: . at first is was quite an unusual test but now that ive done the past papers and practice i feel a lot more comfortable and less stressed for Wednesday .

Ahh same - how have you prepared for section 2 and what type of marks have you been getting? Literally no one is doing the GAA :frown:
Original post by imxks
Ahh same - how have you prepared for section 2 and what type of marks have you been getting? Literally no one is doing the GAA :frown:

Loads of people are, we’re talking about it on the “Geography 2020 Applicants” thread, you can come over there and we’ve been discussing things. 😄
Original post by R T
Yep, there was a bionatsci in my year from The Netherlands who had a deferred offer because she was also too smart for her own good at 17 also

I think the whole deferred offer thing is mostly down to college discretion though. While I know John's, Trinity, Emmanuel, Newnham do not have any problem taking younger students, I know that Catz and Pembroke seem to discourage it (and give deferred offers). Probably this is just boring admin/HR level stuff (since being under 18 means you can't do various things, and also means if you get into trouble or something happens to you, the body (the college) responsible is held to a different standard). The colleges probably do not make this kind of internal admin level decision public so there's really no way to know apart from anecdotal "evidence".

That’s me lol:smile: also I’m a phys natsci. I got my deferred offer from new
Original post by R T

Also you can email a colleges admissions director and they’ll tell you pretty clearly how they feel about under 18s
Original post by Annamies
Also you can email a colleges admissions director and they’ll tell you pretty clearly how they feel about under 18s

Oops, wanted to say I got the offer from Newman so I’d say that means they’re not so flexible with age

Latest

Trending

Trending