*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 2] Watch

This discussion is part of a series.
view previous
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Is it apt that meddad and I had the last 2 posts in the old thread?
Welcome aboard the new one, everybody!

Useful FAQ/Information can be found in Post #3 of this thread, or click here!
Last edited by Puddles the Monkey; 5 months ago
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
And the first two in this one !
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Shamelessly ripped from @Hygeia's post from the first part of this thread.

As it's getting closer to the medicine deadline, more and more of these threads are appearing in the forum and people are getting a little frustrated with the them so this thread is for all of those queries (the x uni or y uni questions, the where should I apply with these grades etc).

I'll start with some useful links:

A couple of FAQs
  • Which medical schools are easier to get into?
    The simple answer here is none of them, all medical schools are very competitive and those with a lower applicant to offer ratio one year are likely to have a much higher one the next year.
    However, it is possible to apply smart - for example getting into Birmingham if you don't have the requisite number of A*s would be very difficult where the same number of A*s at another medical school are fine. Similarly, if your UKCAT is not brilliant, applying for medical schools which love the UKCAT might not be very sensible. You can make it easier for yourself by doing some research into the medical schools (using the links I posted earlier).
  • Should I apply to X university or Y university?
    This is a very personal decision you have to make on your own as it is where you may be studying for 5 or 6 years. Do you have a gut instinct over which to go to? What is it you like about each? What don't you like? Have you visited both, if so, which did you feel more 'at home' at? Some people find it helpful to draw up a list of pros and cons for each if they're really struggling to decide. You can also have a look at what current students say about their medical schools in the link I posted earlier.

Any further threads on this topic will be merged with this one and hopefully someone (@meddad or @GANFYD) will respond to each giving advice, however, try to do some research on your own first! I'll add FAQs as and when they come up.
Last edited by ecolier; 5 months ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by meddad)
And the first two in this one !
But are we still going to be here when the next one starts......?
Khalifa Ali
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
GANFYD Thank You for your insight.
Antibiotics
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
But are we still going to be here when the next one starts......?
The application system will go into meltdown if not. No pressure.

SHOCK: people might have to do their own research
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Antibiotics; 5 months ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Antibiotics)
The application system will go into meltdown if not. No pressure.

SHOCK: people might have to do their own research
You’ve got the grads! And you’re much younger than either of us!
Sixtysix666
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey I am a gap year applicant and I want to apply to kings EMDP six year course and I am stressing out because I'm not sure if I am good enough. Please can someone put me out of my misery and tell me if I could be considered. Here are my stats:
GCSE: 6A* 5As
A-Levels achieved: AAB
UKCAT: 610 Band 3
Participated in K + programme and meet all other eligibility criteria for the 6 year course.
olalke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I am an IB student from Poland and I need to choose a UKCAT university that allows Polish "egzamin gimnazjalny" as an equivalent to GCSE, or one that simply does not look at GCSE. My predicted grades are really good (44 overall with 777 at HL), but my UKCAT score is 2550 with band 2 in STJ, so I'd prefer unis that do not look at UKCAT a lot. I was considering Leicester, Hull York and Bristol, but I'm open to suggestions.
Btw, I plan on applying to 3 BMAT universities so I just need help with my 4th choice
Last edited by olalke; 5 months ago
username4295506
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
As you have only mentioned very competitive and quite prestigious universities, I think you should remind yourself of all the other options for University choices, which can provide just as good an education in the subject. Queen's have a ranking system in which your UKCAT score and UCAS tariff are awarded points in a 50:50 ratio, your ucas tariff includes predicteds, GCSEs and a couple of other qualifications e.g DofE, music exams. Theoretically, this could mean a very high score may compensate for GCSEs that aren't a clean sheet. Kings asks for a high UKCAT and A*AA, in fact all the universities you mentioned ask for those A levels. I don;t know how much weighting Imperial put on GCSEs but I think King's ask for quite a lot, maybe contact them? With your GCSEs and a good UKCAT score, you could have a very good chance of interview at many other universities, maybe you shouldn't limit your options to these unis at this point.
helphelppls
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi! I am an international student and my UKCAT score is on the 59th percentile (2540). I am intending to apply for Queens University Belfast and St Andrews for medicine. Any recommendations on which 2 other medical schools I should apply to in order to stand a good chance? Would applying to Queens Unuversity Belfast and St Andrews be a good option?
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This is historical... the other one was 9 years old!

Should the FAQ also be included in the first post of this thread? :beard:
JLJY
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by James_MI6)
You have said nothing on your GCSE scores or equivalent, nor predicted A levels or IB grades, nothing on personal statements or medical work experience. Entry to med schools is not only UKCAT scores for Internationals. Belfast for example predicts on GCSE's and UKCAT for interview. St Andrews needs a very high UKCAT for Internationals much more than yours. Good day.
Wow so aggressive... hahahaha but yea definitely need to write other stats
Antibiotics
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
This is historical... the other one was 9 years old!

Should the FAQ also be included in the first post of this thread? :beard:
And the sticky of UKCAT score descriptors!!
Pradipta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by helphelppls)
Hi! I am an international student and my UKCAT score is on the 59th percentile (2540). I am intending to apply for Queens University Belfast and St Andrews for medicine. Any recommendations on which 2 other medical schools I should apply to in order to stand a good chance? Would applying to Queens Unuversity Belfast and St Andrews be a good option?
You can try applying to BSMS or Plymouth which do not require the UKCAT for international students. Or you could also do the BMAT.
aradhikav
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My UKCAT score is 2350.
VR: 479
DM: 650
QR: 630
AR: 600
My 10th grade scores are as follows- (I’m from India so I’m not sure how you convert this into A’s/A*s)
English: 91
Mathematics: 91
Science: 92
Socials: 96
Computer Applications: 98
French: 89
Is it a good choice for me to apply to University of Liverpool for MBChb? Do I have good chances of getting an interview?
jmott40
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Has anyone seen/started the threat where you can put in where you applied, quals Ukcat, offers rejection etc?
JLJY
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jmott40)
Has anyone seen/started the threat where you can put in where you applied, quals Ukcat, offers rejection etc?
Haven't seen one but that should be interesting. Although, I think it may be too early for that since applications haven't even closed yet hahaha
astroworld
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Can someone please tell me which med schools offer places via clearing? I was thinking of getting my A level results- and if they were high enough- I would apply via clearing. Also, what happens in clearing and are there any other things u need to have apart from the grades to be eligible for clearing?

Thanks!
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by astroworld)
Can someone please tell me which med schools offer places via clearing? I was thinking of getting my A level results- and if they were high enough- I would apply via clearing. Also, what happens in clearing and are there any other things u need to have apart from the grades to be eligible for clearing?

Thanks!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that. Medicine clearing is really only supposed to be for people who got four rejections for that year's cycle. Also, you need to have sat the required admissions exams for that year's cycle. The BMAT wouldn't be an option because of the timing, and if you wanted to sit the UKCAT next summer it would be for 2020 entry unless there's an ARU situation again next year.
Last edited by Royal Oak; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed