The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GANFYD
Is it apt that @meddad and I had the last 2 posts in the old thread?
Welcome aboard the new one, everybody!

And the first two in this one !
Reply 2
Original post by meddad
And the first two in this one !

But are we still going to be here when the next one starts......?
@GANFYD Thank You for your insight.
Original post by GANFYD
But are we still going to be here when the next one starts......?

The application system will go into meltdown if not. No pressure.

SHOCK: people might have to do their own research
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Antibiotics
The application system will go into meltdown if not. No pressure.

SHOCK: people might have to do their own research

You’ve got the grads! And you’re much younger than either of us!
Hey I am a gap year applicant and I want to apply to kings EMDP six year course and I am stressing out because I'm not sure if I am good enough. Please can someone put me out of my misery and tell me if I could be considered. Here are my stats:
GCSE: 6A* 5As
A-Levels achieved: AAB
UKCAT: 610 Band 3
Participated in K + programme and meet all other eligibility criteria for the 6 year course.
Reply 7
Hi, I am an IB student from Poland and I need to choose a UKCAT university that allows Polish "egzamin gimnazjalny" as an equivalent to GCSE, or one that simply does not look at GCSE. My predicted grades are really good (44 overall with 777 at HL), but my UKCAT score is 2550 with band 2 in STJ, so I'd prefer unis that do not look at UKCAT a lot. I was considering Leicester, Hull York and Bristol, but I'm open to suggestions.
Btw, I plan on applying to 3 BMAT universities so I just need help with my 4th choice :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
As you have only mentioned very competitive and quite prestigious universities, I think you should remind yourself of all the other options for University choices, which can provide just as good an education in the subject. Queen's have a ranking system in which your UKCAT score and UCAS tariff are awarded points in a 50:50 ratio, your ucas tariff includes predicteds, GCSEs and a couple of other qualifications e.g DofE, music exams. Theoretically, this could mean a very high score may compensate for GCSEs that aren't a clean sheet. Kings asks for a high UKCAT and A*AA, in fact all the universities you mentioned ask for those A levels. I don;t know how much weighting Imperial put on GCSEs but I think King's ask for quite a lot, maybe contact them? With your GCSEs and a good UKCAT score, you could have a very good chance of interview at many other universities, maybe you shouldn't limit your options to these unis at this point.
Hi! I am an international student and my UKCAT score is on the 59th percentile (2540). I am intending to apply for Queens University Belfast and St Andrews for medicine. Any recommendations on which 2 other medical schools I should apply to in order to stand a good chance? Would applying to Queens Unuversity Belfast and St Andrews be a good option?
Original post by GANFYD
Is it apt that @meddad and I had the last 2 posts in the old thread?
Welcome aboard the new one, everybody!

This is historical... the other one was 9 years old!

Should the FAQ also be included in the first post of this thread? :beard:
Reply 11
Original post by James_MI6
You have said nothing on your GCSE scores or equivalent, nor predicted A levels or IB grades, nothing on personal statements or medical work experience. Entry to med schools is not only UKCAT scores for Internationals. Belfast for example predicts on GCSE's and UKCAT for interview. St Andrews needs a very high UKCAT for Internationals much more than yours. Good day.

Wow so aggressive... hahahaha but yea definitely need to write other stats
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
This is historical... the other one was 9 years old!

Should the FAQ also be included in the first post of this thread? :beard:

And the sticky of UKCAT score descriptors!!
Original post by helphelppls
Hi! I am an international student and my UKCAT score is on the 59th percentile (2540). I am intending to apply for Queens University Belfast and St Andrews for medicine. Any recommendations on which 2 other medical schools I should apply to in order to stand a good chance? Would applying to Queens Unuversity Belfast and St Andrews be a good option?

You can try applying to BSMS or Plymouth which do not require the UKCAT for international students. Or you could also do the BMAT.
My UKCAT score is 2350.
VR: 479
DM: 650
QR: 630
AR: 600
My 10th grade scores are as follows- (I’m from India so I’m not sure how you convert this into A’s/A*s)
English: 91
Mathematics: 91
Science: 92
Socials: 96
Computer Applications: 98
French: 89
Is it a good choice for me to apply to University of Liverpool for MBChb? Do I have good chances of getting an interview?
Reply 15
Has anyone seen/started the threat where you can put in where you applied, quals Ukcat, offers rejection etc?
Reply 16
Original post by jmott40
Has anyone seen/started the threat where you can put in where you applied, quals Ukcat, offers rejection etc?

Haven't seen one but that should be interesting. Although, I think it may be too early for that since applications haven't even closed yet hahaha
Can someone please tell me which med schools offer places via clearing? I was thinking of getting my A level results- and if they were high enough- I would apply via clearing. Also, what happens in clearing and are there any other things u need to have apart from the grades to be eligible for clearing?

Thanks! :smile:
Oh that's a shame. I'll probs just go for post qual/gap year and then apply for Medicine!
Who offers places in clearing will vary from year to year, and from course to course - at this early stage it's pretty much anyone's guess, it all depends on the number of applicants for a given course.

Assuming you didn't get the grades for any of your first choices of university, then UCAS will open their clearing website on the day, with universities listing what places they have available and what the necessary grades are. Apart from that there's nothing else you need, if you have the grades and you like the look of the course then there's no harm in applying through clearing 🙂 a lot of unis also have clearing helplines open in the weeks following results day if you want some more help or information.

Hope that helps.

Theo

EDIT - post just updated with replies. Others sound a bit more experienced with it!
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending