The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi i am really unsure on which unis i can apply to. Please help if possible. My grades are:

A levels:
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Mathematics: B

O levels:
IGCSE:
English as a second lang: A*
Mathematics: A
GCE:
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Computer Science: A*
I also did two additional o level subject done only in my country and the students here are able to only do 6 additional subjects apart from the two mandatory subjects here. I heard some universities consider it if we provide a letter from the government stating that.

UCAT:
VR:580
DM:670
QR: 690
AR: 710
Total: 2650
SJT: Band 1
Original post by Allys29
Anyone know of any unis which aren’t UCAT heavy? I know Cardiff and Birmingham don’t look at UCAT scores as much but I’m not sure if Liverpool look at them much? Also, I’m set on applying to Exeter but are they UCAT heavy?

It’ll be easier for people to advise if you post your full GCSE breakdown, UCAT score and predicted grades.
With the following stats, do I have a higher chance of an interview at Oxford or Cambridge please? Thanks!
GCSEs: 9 x 9s, A^ in FM, A* in HPQ (GCSE version of EPQ)
A*A*A*A* predicted grades (Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths)
Achieved A* in EPQ
Reply 7823
Original post by Zssjsjdj
With the following stats, do I have a higher chance of an interview at Oxford or Cambridge please? Thanks!
GCSEs: 9 x 9s, A^ in FM, A* in HPQ (GCSE version of EPQ)
A*A*A*A* predicted grades (Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths)
Achieved A* in EPQ

Depends on your BMAT - which you won't know before applying!
Cambridge interview most people they think are capable of getting A*A*A and I would have thought you fit that criteria. Oxford score GCSEs 50% (Number A*s and % A*s) and BMAT 50%.
So you do fairly well for the former (bearing in mind the average Oxford offer holder has 10.8 A*s), but we have no idea about the latter
Reply 7824
Original post by Allys29
Anyone know of any unis which aren’t UCAT heavy? I know Cardiff and Birmingham don’t look at UCAT scores as much but I’m not sure if Liverpool look at them much? Also, I’m set on applying to Exeter but are they UCAT heavy?

If you look on med school websites, most give you a pretty clear idea of how they shortlist applicants

Cardiff apparently used UCAT as a cut off for all those with 9A*s (or equivalent) last year and are apparently planning on doing the same this year. Nobody knows what that cut off was.
Birmingham use UCAT for 30% of their scoring and generally need a high UCAT for an interview, unless contextual.
QUB are 85% GCSEs, Liverpool now 75%, Aston 66%, Kings and Leicester are 50%, Birmingham is 45% GCSEs (though still 60% if you take out contextual points), and Nottingham, Lincoln, Edinburgh, Dundee around 25-30%.
Keele and Sunderland want a 3rd decile minimum UCAT then use their version of the PS to shortlist.
Exeter use A level predictions and last year needed A*A*A* predicted and UCAT wasn't used in that tier or A*A*A predicted and a UCAT of 2810, so they are either UCAT non-existent or need a high UCAT score, dependent on your other stats.
Original post by GANFYD
Then I have solved your problem - Newcastle it is :smile:
Cheap as chips, CBL/integrated, fabulous nightlife, good transport links, better than average interview to offer ratio (about 65%) and AMAZING teachers :wink:

(or Leicester, Southampton and Bristol also fit your criteria. There are plenty more if you can tolerate the PBL...)

Hi I asked earlier but haven't had any advice. If my son has 2860 B1 UCAT and A*A*AA achieved level (chem, maths, biology, French) 4As at AS level and 5A*5A at GCSE would Newcastle be a contender. His cousin is there and loves it but we're not sure. Hopefully QUB, Glasgow and Liverpool will offer interview, just trying to figure out the last spot. Thanks for all you do this thread most helpful
Reply 7826
Original post by Interfering Mum
Hi I asked earlier but haven't had any advice. If my son has 2860 B1 UCAT and A*A*AA achieved level (chem, maths, biology, French) 4As at AS level and 5A*5A at GCSE would Newcastle be a contender. His cousin is there and loves it but we're not sure. Hopefully QUB, Glasgow and Liverpool will offer interview, just trying to figure out the last spot. Thanks for all you do this thread most helpful

Yes, that would be fine. Newcastle shortlist using UCAT alone and recent cut offs have been around 680-682.5
Reply 7827
I just sat my UCAT a week ago and I'm trying to figure out which unis I've got the best chance at. I am also an international student.

(I)GCSES: 7A*s 3As. A*s in Math, Science (double award) and English.

International Baccalaureate (predicted):
Higher Level Biology: 7
Higher Level Chemistry: 6
Higher Level English Literature: 6
Standard Level Math (Analysis and approaches): 6
Standard Level French: 5
Standard Level Environmental Systems and Societies: 6

Total (excluding core points) - 36/45
With core points - 38/45

UCAT Result:
VR: 890
DM: 710
QR: 800
AR: 750

Total: 3150
SJT: Band 3

I was also wondering specifically if I had a chance at Edinburgh with these stats? I know in previous years my mediocre academics would have completely eliminated me but I was wondering if things were different with the introduction of the interview (since Edinburgh hasn't revealed how they calculate your academic score and someone told me they just look at your GCSES now).
Hey! I am an international student planning to apply to Edinburgh Medical School as an undergraduate.

I got 2900 band 1 for my UCAT
VR:680
DM:720
QR:830
AR:670
9A*s in iGCSE (didn't take GCSEs as it is unavailable in my country, did not take biology but took chem).
3A*s for my predicted grade (Bio, Chem, Maths).

Do you think I should apply or should I choose a different school? Also, does Edinburgh have interview for undergraduates this year? I heard that they want to change it but am still unsure myself.

Additionally, may I know if anyone else has any recommendations for other medical universities to apply to for an international student? Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, that would be fine. Newcastle shortlist using UCAT alone and recent cut offs have been around 680-682.5

Thanx so much, that's reassuring hopefully nothing will change this year but we'll keep an eye on this thread. Very kind of you to answer all these questions and let everyone pick your brain aswell as doing your own job. I hope they appreciate it, it's very humbling!
Reply 7830
I got low UCAT and ABC. In As level is there still a chance in a place in the medical school
How low is low? What subjects did you get each grade in, and what are you predicted for next year? Have you considered taking the BMAT? Do you qualify for widening participation?
yes, how low is low? for a lot of universities this isn’t a priority and as long as you have above around 610 avr there are some places where you have a decent chance (also if you have band 4 SJT this is an issue, it must be higher). but the AS grades are fine mine were the same and i have a place in medicine. don’t worry it’s easy to redeem your grades in A2 but you need to clarify how low your ucat.
Original post by Interfering Mum
Hi, my son got 4 rejections last year 2 post interview due to poor research/careers advice. He is taking a gap year, happy enough ,only just turned 18 and has researched properly now from knowing nothing last year. His GCSEs are 5A*5A , UCAT 2860 B1 he got A*A*AA in A levels this week. Chem, maths, biology, French. He's worked a year in hospice, month in Gp and various other bits. Only applied to Scotland and QUB last year and did very little prep 🙈 Older and wiser now and hoping to reapply Glasgow and QUB but gonna try Liverpool and possibly Newcastle or Birmingham. Hyms was in the running but they like B1. Do you think this is ok? I think Birmingham need Eng Lit GCSE he doesn't have that but he will call them. He is researching thoroughly and will kill me if he sees this! We're from N. Ireland. He only got 2480 last year as he was told it's aptitude test you can't revise for and then applied Dundee Glasgow and Edinburgh.. I know horrendous!! Thanks anyway to anyone who can advise.

Newcastle would look fine as would the other options you've put although do check Birmingham. I'm glad he did well and has done his research. There are plenty of other options too!

does this need to be moved to the megathread for the year?
Hi, I am unsure which medical schools will accept me.
In my GCSEs I got:
9s in English literature, chemistry, physics and religious studies
8s in maths, business studies, french and geography
7s in biology, English language
I am in year 12 and I have just received my as levels so I do not have my predicted grades yet. My as level grades are BAAA, in biology, chem, maths and economics. I can estimate and say that I can get AAA in bio, chem and maths for predicted A level grades.
I have just done my UCAT and I got:
VR-600
DM-710
QR-730
AR-620
Total: 2660 and average of 665
SJT: Band 2
I am thinking about applying to St Georges, Plymouth, or Anglia Ruskin or UEA(Norwich) or any other unis. Would any of these unis accept me? Should I apply to unis with stronger UCAT scores than GCSE?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7835
I got 2360 UCAT score and band 3 SJT. My AS Levels were A in maths, B in biology, and C in Chemistry.
Original post by ba869
I just sat my UCAT a week ago and I'm trying to figure out which unis I've got the best chance at. I am also an international student.

(I)GCSES: 7A*s 3As. A*s in Math, Science (double award) and English.

International Baccalaureate (predicted):
Higher Level Biology: 7
Higher Level Chemistry: 6
Higher Level English Literature: 6
Standard Level Math (Analysis and approaches): 6
Standard Level French: 5
Standard Level Environmental Systems and Societies: 6

Total (excluding core points) - 36/45
With core points - 38/45

UCAT Result:
VR: 890
DM: 710
QR: 800
AR: 750

Total: 3150
SJT: Band 3

I was also wondering specifically if I had a chance at Edinburgh with these stats? I know in previous years my mediocre academics would have completely eliminated me but I was wondering if things were different with the introduction of the interview (since Edinburgh hasn't revealed how they calculate your academic score and someone told me they just look at your GCSES now).

Erm did you say mediocre haha :biggrin: I'm not sure of the IB scoring but apart from that you've done exceptionally well (I can't comment on the Band 3 either).

I have similar stats to yours being an international applicant (but only 6 subjects at IGCSE, I know yikes :/) with a 3120 + Band 1. Where else you thinking of applying? Are you giving the BMAT?
Original post by MastaMasta103
Hey! I am an international student planning to apply to Edinburgh Medical School as an undergraduate.

I got 2900 band 1 for my UCAT
VR:680
DM:720
QR:830
AR:670
9A*s in iGCSE (didn't take GCSEs as it is unavailable in my country, did not take biology but took chem).
3A*s for my AS level (Bio, Chem, Maths) but has not been told about my predicted grades.

Do you think I should apply or should I choose a different school? Also, does Edinburgh have interview for undergraduates this year? I heard that they want to change it but am still unsure myself.

Additionally, may I know if anyone else has any recommendations for other medical universities to apply to for an international student? Thank you!

Hey this is totally not answering your question but did you do CIE or Edexcel? Also, from what I know I thought A*s didn't exist at the AS Level?
Original post by A F
I got 2360 UCAT score and band 3 SJT. My AS Levels were A in maths, B in biology, and C in Chemistry.

Your UCAT may not meet the cutoff for some universities but you should look towards universities that look less at your UCAT such as cardiff and exeter which do not use it to determine who to give interviews out to.
Or you could consider taking the BMAT in november to apply to schools such as Cambridge, imperial, ucl, leeds or brighton+sussex (i may have missed some).
Original post by Allys29

I think Leicester, Queens Belfast, and Plymouth could be worth a look if you have strong GCSE results

Latest

Trending

Trending