The Student Room Group

Should I complete A2 for medicine

Hello. I’m an AS level student studying math, biology and chemistry (CIE). I wish to pursue medicine (MBBS) / Doctor of dental medicine in the future. My university requires 12 years of education and I was planning to do only 12 but recently I’ve heard that going to uni without completing A2 is a bad decision because of the amount of studies. I’ve heard that the jump from AS to A2 is a lot, but it is even more in university and that it’ll be beneficial for me to complete A2 but I’m not quite sure. I’d like some advice pls, thank you.
Honestly, if you're serious about getting into medicine then you need to complete a levels, if you don't do well then you can always look for a foundation course but they generally require you to posesses full alevels. For me, though I take essay subjects, I found that the content isnt harder in year 13, its just more fast paced and a lot is going on at once, if youre in year 12 atm, focus on understanding the content and being well organised --dont worry about next year, focus on this one
Reply 2
Given that the vast majority of offers are either conditional upon achieving A-levels or given after achieving a set of A-level results, and that this is a very competitive course...
Complete your A-levels like everyone else. Like, to me it just looks like you're being lazy, and that's probably how it would look to admissions officers reviewing your application.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
You’re jumping to conclusions. It’s not about me being lazy, it’s just that the universities I wish to go to all don’t require me to complete A2. I just wanna know if it’ll be beneficial for me to complete A2 in order to ease the burden in uni or if it’s a waste of time and money because I’m sure you know that money doesn’t grow on trees 🤷*♀️
Original post by Sinnoh
Given that the vast majority of offers are either conditional upon achieving A-levels or given after achieving a set of A-level results, and that this is a very competitive course...
Complete your A-levels like everyone else. Like, to me it just looks like you're being lazy, and that's probably how it would look to admissions officers reviewing your application.
Reply 4
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Honestly, if you're serious about getting into medicine then you need to complete a levels, if you don't do well then you can always look for a foundation course but they generally require you to posesses full alevels. For me, though I take essay subjects, I found that the content isnt harder in year 13, its just more fast paced and a lot is going on at once, if youre in year 12 atm, focus on understanding the content and being well organised --dont worry about next year, focus on this one

Nope. The universities I wish to go to don’t require a levels at all. I just want to know if completing A levels would make my path ahead easier, because I heard that the burden is lesser and pace is well balanced that way. Thank you though.
Reply 5
Original post by Learner7689
You’re jumping to conclusions. It’s not about me being lazy, it’s just that the universities I wish to go to all don’t require me to complete A2. I just wanna know if it’ll be beneficial for me to complete A2 in order to ease the burden in uni or if it’s a waste of time and money because I’m sure you know that money doesn’t grow on trees 🤷*♀️

What university is giving AS offers for medicine?
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
What university is giving AS offers for medicine?

Most medical universities in Europe (Poland to be precise) accept students that have graduated from 11th grade. They don’t even require A levels. In my country, medical universities requires a minimum of 12 years of education.
Reply 7
Original post by Learner7689
Most medical universities in Europe (Poland to be precise) accept students that have graduated from 11th grade. They don’t even require A levels. In my country, medical universities requires a minimum of 12 years of education.

If you don't have to complete A-levels, then either:

- The first year of the course covers most of what you would have missed, in which case try to apply for direct entry into second year and save having to pay for a year of university?

or

- It's not a great course.

Quick Reply

Latest