The Student Room Group

Master's in a completely different field?

Hello,
I am finishing up with my diploma degree/ engineer's degree (basically 5 years of study, counts as a master of engineering) in civil engineering from the National Technical University of Athens.Since I first started attending university, I became interested in coding and programming languages in general and consider being a software engineer as my "dream" job so to say.However, I only did one course in school that had something to do with software engineering, which is to be expected.

My question is, could I be accepted for a master's programme in software engineering/ computer science/ informatics etc, even though I have no formal relation to this sort of thing (All my current software engineering knowledge was gained in my free time).I have looked into a bunch of programmes offered by both foreign and greek universities, but all the requirements are very vague.I will almost surely end up with a GPA higher than 7-7.5/10, but apart from that, I don't know if I could get into a master's like the above.

Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!
You may be able to find conversion master's which are designed for people without a degree level background in the subject. I'm pretty sure Imperial does one, not sure about other unis.

Quick Reply

Latest