The Student Room Group

Nursing degree

Hello. I have a degree in civil engineering (bachelor’s) but I would like to pursue another in Nursing but my issue is I don’t know What kind of degree that would be and how it’s called on the universities websites. When I go on their websites I either see bachelors or masters. And in the requirements section I don’t see anywhere that it talks about my first degree. Can someone please please put some light on this for me. How do I apply and for what exactly. Thank you!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Restiy
Hello. I have a degree in civil engineering (bachelor’s) but I would like to pursue another in Nursing but my issue is I don’t know What kind of degree that would be and how it’s called on the universities websites. When I go on their websites I either see bachelors or masters. And in the requirements section I don’t see anywhere that it talks about my first degree. Can someone please please put some light on this for me. How do I apply and for what exactly. Thank you!

You apply for a course that is advertised as pre-registration nursing. As you already have a degree, this can be either bachelors or masters.... as long as it's pre registration and as long as the masters courses accept your previous degree as appropriate prior study.
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_B
You apply for a course that is advertised as pre-registration nursing. As you already have a degree, this can be either bachelors or masters.... as long as it's pre registration and as long as the masters courses accept your previous degree as appropriate prior study.

Oh okay. So I search for pre registration nursing course. I’d prefer bachelors for now. Let me give it a try and see how it goes. I’ll be sure to update you. Thank you so much.
Reply 3
Just a word about choosing pre reg masters or undergrad. The masters is very full on as you still have to complete the same things such as 2300 hours of placement. But only have two years to do it in
Original post by Restiy

HI. You should look for graduate entry programmes which are two years in length rather than 3. This may be either PG diploma or a full MSc in Nursing, and these courses are designed for graduate entrants - often from a wide range of disciplines. Various universities offer these in different fields of nursing (adult / child / mental health / learning disabilities). University websites can be difficult to navigate sometimes so it may be worth emailing admissions teams. Full disclosure - I am an admissions tutor at Southampton and we would be very happy to hear from you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending