The Student Room Group

Is Maths, Biology, Physics and Spanish a good combination for engineering at Uni?

Hi, I was wondering whether Maths, Biology, Physics and Spanish were a good combination for universities such as Cambridge and Imperial for natural sciences or engineering. My teachers have recommended Further Maths for engineering or Computer Science but I’m not sure whether I should take it or not instead of Biology as I’m scared I will find it boring alongside Maths and Physics.

P.S. I’m still not sure what course I want to study at Uni

Thanks
Reply 1
You're scared you will find it boring - do you actually want to be take maths and physics A-level, then?

If you're interested in maths, you're capable and you enjoy doing it, then pick maths and further maths. If you're sure you want to go into engineering, then especially choose further maths. As it is though, you're not sure. It also depends what field of engineering. Biology won't be much help for aerospace engineering, but if biomedical engineering is what you're interested in then it would be more helpful (as would chemistry)

They almost certainly wouldn't care about Spanish and you really should only take 4 A-levels if the 4th one is further maths. Don't take 4 distinct separate subjects, it's unnecessary and a waste of time and effort.
I’m good at maths but I feel Further maths will be too much and I don’t want to spend 2 years doing a subject that I won’t enjoy. I want to choose Spanish in order to balance out the maths/science based subjects and as a language I find it easy anyway.
I’m definitely taking maths and Physics
Original post by CosmicStudent1
Hi, I was wondering whether Maths, Biology, Physics and Spanish were a good combination for universities such as Cambridge and Imperial for natural sciences or engineering. My teachers have recommended Further Maths for engineering or Computer Science but I’m not sure whether I should take it or not instead of Biology as I’m scared I will find it boring alongside Maths and Physics.

Thanks

For both physical NatSci and engineering at Cambridge FM would be a much better choice than either Biology or Spanish. If you even suspect you might find FM 'boring' then I suggest you re-visit engineering...
Original post by Sinnoh
You're scared you will find it boring - do you actually want to be take maths and physics A-level, then?

If you're interested in maths, you're capable and you enjoy doing it, then pick maths and further maths. If you're sure you want to go into engineering, then especially choose further maths. As it is though, you're not sure. It also depends what field of engineering. Biology won't be much help for aerospace engineering, but if biomedical engineering is what you're interested in then it would be more helpful (as would chemistry)

They almost certainly wouldn't care about Spanish and you really should only take 4 A-levels if the 4th one is further maths. Don't take 4 distinct separate subjects, it's unnecessary and a waste of time and effort.

:yy:, entirely correct.
Original post by Reality Check
For both physical NatSci and engineering at Cambridge FM would be a much better choice than either Biology or Spanish. If you even suspect you might find FM 'boring' then I suggest you re-visit engineering...

I’m able to take Further Maths AS which I probably wouldn’t mind doing
I’m able to take Further Maths AS which I probably wouldn’t mind doing

Well, that's better than nothing, but for the universities and courses you've suggested (e.g. presumably physical natsci and engineering) you'd need the full A Level in FM in order to make a competitive application.
Reply 8
If you think you'll find A Level Maths and Physics boring then you should seriously reconsider doing engineering at Imperial or Cambridge...

But yes, those A Levels will allow you to study most Natural science options and engineering disciplines.
Original post by Reality Check
Well, that's better than nothing, but for the universities and courses you've suggested (e.g. presumably physical natsci and engineering) you'd need the full A Level in FM in order to make a competitive application.

That’s very true. Thanks
Original post by Murd0c
If you think you'll find A Level Maths and Physics boring then you should seriously reconsider doing engineering at Imperial or Cambridge...

But yes, those A Levels will allow you to study most Natural science options and engineering disciplines.

No, I know I’ll enjoy maths and physics but I’m worried that FM will be too much maths and that I’ll find that boring

Thanks

Those subjects are fine to study engineering (except for the courses that require chemistry, which will primarily be chemical and some materials engineer courses) at pretty much any university except for those you have listed, which will probably require further maths for a competitive application if it's available to you. Maths and physics are the most important A-levels; after that, it's mainly about taking the subjects that you'd enjoy the most so you can achieve the highest grades. So if you want to take a subject that isn't primarily based on equations, that's fine. If you want to study a language, that's also fine.

Do you want to study natural sciences or engineering though?

Quick Reply

Latest