The Student Room Group

Help with a cover letter

First of all is a cover letter even necessary?

In regards to a thread I made earlier, how would I address the point of me having missed the 2.1 mark by a % on a cover letter ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Use a cover letter to highlight strengths, and how you're addressing your weaknesses. Relate it back to the company and specific role you're applying for. If there are no question on the application form, then I will usually send a cover letter. What does the job ask for? A 2:1?
Original post by MrMusician95
Use a cover letter to highlight strengths, and how you're addressing your weaknesses. Relate it back to the company and specific role you're applying for. If there are no question on the application form, then I will usually send a cover letter. What does the job ask for? A 2:1?

It's an online form and there aren't really any questions, it's for a bank.

Yes they want a 2.1 but I got a 2.2 because I missed the 2.1 by 1.5%, does it really matter that much?
Original post by TheyCallMeJeff

Yes they want a 2.1 but I got a 2.2 because I missed the 2.1 by 1.5%, does it really matter that much?

It’s up to them. Technically you don’t meet their requirements for the role, maybe speak to somebody and ask if they’d still consider you
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by FloralHybrid
It’s up to them. Technically you don’t meet their requirements for the role, maybe speak to somebody and ask if they’d still consider you

I meant does it matter to the point I should mention it, and if so how exactly would I go about doing such a thing.

So I should send an email to the recruitment team explaining my situation?
I meant does it matter to the point I should mention it, and if so how exactly would I go about doing such a thing.

So I should send an email to the recruitment team explaining my situation?

I believe that would be best, yes. They’re more likely to consider you if you show an interest but don’t quite meet the requirements, because as you say, you only fall ever so slightly short of them.

If you don’t mention it, you’re applying with a 2:2 when they’re asking for a 2:1, and it’s a lot less likely you’d get the job.

A covering letter is an integral part of an CV application and should always be used. The CV gives the technical evidence of relevant skills, the covering letter gives the persuasive force. An application form tends to give the same opportunities, though they may appear mixed up in the form.

A covering letter simply answers the following three 'silent' questions, in this order

Why do you want to do this sort of work (usually a mix of qualifications, experience and interest)
Why do you want to work for this organisation (show you've done your homework, but don't just tell them how great they are)
Highlight your top 3 most relevant skills.

You would briefly (1 or 2 sentences) explain your 2.2 in here, but embedded within a strength

It does matter. Do you have an mitigating or extenuating circumstances that was a reason you missed the mark? Is it for a graduate scheme or just a job? They're more likely to be okay if it's just for a job and not a graduate scheme. But as people have said I'd contact the careers team at the bank and ask.

The bigger the bank the less likely they will be to let you off for that 1.5%. My application for one of the big 4 might be rejected because of a GCSE grade (I missed the mark by one grade for their requirements), I retook the GCSE and got an A. It just shows you how ruthless these companies are.
Original post by FloralHybrid
I believe that would be best, yes. They’re more likely to consider you if you show an interest but don’t quite meet the requirements, because as you say, you only fall ever so slightly short of them.

If you don’t mention it, you’re applying with a 2:2 when they’re asking for a 2:1, and it’s a lot less likely you’d get the job.
I was just curious whether they would deem me not good enough to get the job. I've even read posts from people that apply for 2:2 jobs but with thirds who missed their mark and they say they can't get in so I was wondering why it would be any different for me when a 2:1 is even harder to achieve than a 2:2.

Original post by threeportdrift
A covering letter is an integral part of an CV application and should always be used. The CV gives the technical evidence of relevant skills, the covering letter gives the persuasive force. An application form tends to give the same opportunities, though they may appear mixed up in the form.

A covering letter simply answers the following three 'silent' questions, in this order

Why do you want to do this sort of work (usually a mix of qualifications, experience and interest)
Why do you want to work for this organisation (show you've done your homework, but don't just tell them how great they are)
Highlight your top 3 most relevant skills.

You would briefly (1 or 2 sentences) explain your 2.2 in here, but embedded within a strength

I achieved a first in my dissertation, is that worth mentioning or is there no point to it? if anything it shows that I can actually do stuff at a high level but my grades just weren't good enough for the final exam

Original post by MrMusician95
It does matter. Do you have an mitigating or extenuating circumstances that was a reason you missed the mark? Is it for a graduate scheme or just a job? They're more likely to be okay if it's just for a job and not a graduate scheme. But as people have said I'd contact the careers team at the bank and ask.

The bigger the bank the less likely they will be to let you off for that 1.5%. My application for one of the big 4 might be rejected because of a GCSE grade (I missed the mark by one grade for their requirements), I retook the GCSE and got an A. It just shows you how ruthless these companies are.

Graduate scheme, it's hard to find a job with no experience in this field.
(edited 5 years ago)
I achieved a first in my dissertation, is that worth mentioning or is there no point to it? if anything it shows that I can actually do stuff at a high level but my grades just weren't good enough for the final exam.
thank you for such an in depth post though, I really appreciate it.

Graduate scheme, it's hard to find a job with no experience in this field.

The question you should ask before putting anything in a job application is 'is this really relevant'. Usually a dissertation isn't particularly relevant, However, in your case, mentioned briefly, it probably would be relevant and useful.

It's often harder to get on a proper graduate scheme than it is to get a job. With a 2.2 you should be applying to both. And don't use the large scalping companies like Monster, Reed, Indeed etc, go directly to the companies.
The question you should ask before putting anything in a job application is 'is this really relevant'. Usually a dissertation isn't particularly relevant, However, in your case, mentioned briefly, it probably would be relevant and useful.

It's often harder to get on a proper graduate scheme than it is to get a job. With a 2.2 you should be applying to both. And don't use the large scalping companies like Monster, Reed, Indeed etc, go directly to the companies.

I thought I should mention it because of the fact it shows I was capable of getting a first I just got caught up in unfortunate circumstances. Maybe in an email to the recruiters?

I am going to the company pages directly and searching there, but most jobs want a 2.1 same as a graduate scheme.

Why would a grad scheme be harder to get in though? isn't it easier as it would be only for graduates as opposed to being opened to the masses like a normal job?
(edited 5 years ago)
oh alright then, I thought I should mention it because of the fact it shows I was capable of getting a first I just got caught up in unfortunate circumstances. Maybe in an email to the recruiters? idk its all rather confusing on how to approach.
Don't make a feature of it, the rest of your CV will either hold appeal to employers or it won't.

I am going to the company pages directly and searching there, but most jobs want a 2.1 same as a graduate scheme.

Why would a grad scheme be harder to get in though? isn't it easier as it would be only for graduates as opposed to being opened to the masses like a normal job?

Grad schemes are harder to get in because they are advertised in every single career centre and student newspaper in the country and they recruit from a limited pool of people with nigh on exactly the same background and opportunity in the previous 3 years. Your odds are maybe 200:1 and you are one of a very homogenous pool of candidates. Go for a company directly and you reduce the odds to maybe 50:1 or less and the recruitment pool is more diverse, giving you more chance to stand out (or others to be obviously not as good as you).

Plenty of organisations want graduates without running a 'scheme. A grad scheme is just a mechanism to bulk recruit, Even in a 'normal job' a degree will often be an advantage, if it's on a professional career path.
Don't make a feature of it, the rest of your CV will either hold appeal to employers or it won't.

Grad schemes are harder to get in because they are advertised in every single career centre and student newspaper in the country and they recruit from a limited pool of people with nigh on exactly the same background and opportunity in the previous 3 years. Your odds are maybe 200:1 and you are one of a very homogenous pool of candidates. Go for a company directly and you reduce the odds to maybe 50:1 or less and the recruitment pool is more diverse, giving you more chance to stand out (or others to be obviously not as good as you).

Plenty of organisations want graduates without running a 'scheme. A grad scheme is just a mechanism to bulk recruit, Even in a 'normal job' a degree will often be an advantage, if it's on a professional career path.

Thanks for the insight, I always thought grad schemes were there just to help graduates find a job and "normal jobs" were for those with more experience or those coming out of a grad scheme.

As for my dissertation achieving a first, should I at least mention it when emailing the recruiters or is it again pointless to mention and I just have to hope they say I can be considered despite having a 2.2?
Thanks for the insight, I always thought grad schemes were there just to help graduates find a job and "normal jobs" were for those with more experience or those coming out of a grad scheme.

As for my dissertation achieving a first, should I at least mention it when emailing the recruiters or is it again pointless to mention and I just have to hope they say I can be considered despite having a 2.2?

Just say something like "Although I missed the 2.1 grade boundary by a very small margin, I was awarded a first in my dissertation, a major piece of independent work." no mention of 2.2 and focus on the first and the inference that it was more like work than the taught elements.

Grad scheme is a term used by bulk hirers of graduates who need a large pool to select from and find graduates largely unfinished and want to put them through a period of workplace specific training before putting them in the right slots of throwing them out. They vary and there are exceptions, but by and large it's just a finishing school because education no longer does the job employers want it to do.
First of all is a cover letter even necessary?

In regards to a thread I made earlier, how would I address the point of me having missed the 2.1 mark by 1.5% on a cover letter ?

Do people even send cover letters with their CVs? I'm new to this so I don't understand the process, and I don't want a cover letter to start badly saying "I got this but only because I missed it by etc.etc."

It helps your application further because it shows you have made that extra effort than those who haven't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending