The Student Room Group

[SOLVED!] SFE Compelling Personal Reasons

Hello, I have a small question regarding applying for extra years of funding due to compelling personal reasons. I spoke to a SFE representative over the phone, and (I think?) she told me that I can apply to SFE online like normal, then add the evidence online somewhere? She did say that the option to write a cover letter and send it through the post is there too, and all the forums that I've read state that everyone has done it this way.

Do I need to send a letter, or can I do this online?
(edited 1 year ago)
From personal experience, I wrote a cover letter and my CPR application was accepted. I strongly recommend writing a cover letter explaining the whole situation, why your studies were affected, how lack of funding can affect you, etc, just to make as much of a case for yourself as possible while tying in all the evidence you submit. Worst case scenario it doesn't do anything either way; best case scenario it helps support your case. It's a no-lose option to do it, other than spending some time writing it. Well worth the effort in my opinion :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
From personal experience, I wrote a cover letter and my CPR application was accepted. I strongly recommend writing a cover letter explaining the whole situation, why your studies were affected, how lack of funding can affect you, etc, just to make as much of a case for yourself as possible while tying in all the evidence you submit. Worst case scenario it doesn't do anything either way; best case scenario it helps support your case. It's a no-lose option to do it, other than spending some time writing it. Well worth the effort in my opinion :smile:

Do you know anyone who was able to submit their cover letter online? Also, may I ask how long it took to hear back from them ?
Original post by dahlia_
Do you know anyone who was able to submit their cover letter online? Also, may I ask how long it took to hear back from them ?

No, I submitted mine by post, but this was pre-COVID so not sure if they have anything set up.

Think it took a while. 2 months or thereabouts I think? Was a while ago that I did it though so can't remember exactly.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
No, I submitted mine by post, but this was pre-COVID so not sure if they have anything set up.

Think it took a while. 2 months or thereabouts I think? Was a while ago that I did it though so can't remember exactly.

Thank you for replying. I think I'm going to send the cover letter by post, and then upload the evidence to my student finance account. I'll call a SFE representative on the next working day to confirm that I can do this, thank you again for your help!
Original post by dahlia_
Hello, I have a small question regarding applying for extra years of funding due to compelling personal reasons. I spoke to a SFE representative over the phone, and (I think?) she told me that I can apply to SFE online like normal, then add the evidence online somewhere? She did say that the option to write a cover letter and send it through the post is there too, and all the forums that I've read state that everyone has done it this way.

Hi Dahlia,

You just need to upload evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons to your account which confirms, what happened, when this happened and how this affected your studies. You should also include a cover letter that explains that you wish to apply under Compelling Personal Reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMx_EG5JWk

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Dahlia,

You just need to upload evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons to your account which confirms, what happened, when this happened and how this affected your studies. You should also include a cover letter that explains that you wish to apply under Compelling Personal Reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMx_EG5JWk

Thanks, Clare

Ah I see, thank you! Hopefully this will save some time this time! Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!
Original post by dahlia_

Hi there, You’ll need to send a letter to us detailing your Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances.
Where applicable, we recommend the evidence is:
- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place
Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:
- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from HEP on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate
- A Birth Certificate

This can be uploaded via your online account.
Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending