The Student Room Group

Sir Philip Green named over harassment claims

Retail billionaire Sir Philip Green has been named in Parliament as the businessman accused of sexual harassment.

Who is Sir Philip Green?
Sir Philip Green is the chairman of Arcadia Group, a retail empire that includes Topshop, Topman, Wallis, Evans, Miss Selfridge and Dorothy Perkins.

Lord Peter Hain, who identified him in the Lords, said it was his duty to name him, given the "serious and repeated" nature of the allegations.

On Tuesday, the Telegraph ran an article accusing an unnamed businessman of racial and sexual abuse of staff.

A legal injunction prevented the Telegraph from publishing his identity. The legal injunction has not been lifted, but Lord Hain's statement, made under Parliamentary privilege, has been widely reported in the UK media.

The BBC has not been able to verify the allegations contained in the Telegraph's report. Read more here

What do you think about this? Should his name be revealed whilst this is still being investigated?

Scroll to see replies

I bet Tina's in a grump. It just gets worse for our Phil, doesn't it?
I think investigations should be kept confidential until they conclude. Then name and shame. For a public figure especially, a mere accusation can be career ending. Even if you're innocent, the damage is done.

I wouldn't want to be Lord Hain if it turns out there's no truth to these allegations, I can tell you.
Original post by Dandaman1
I think investigations should be kept confidential until they conclude. Then name and shame. For a public figure especially, a mere accusation can be career ending. Even if you're innocent, the damage is done.

I wouldn't want to be Lord Hain if it turns out there's no truth to these allegations, I can tell you.

we've circled right back to the era of public lynchings....history will forever repeat itself
Reply 4

Except in this instance, an injunction is recorded, so a known thing. The injunction will reference the people he's paid off, so a known thing.

So, as long as the Lord has the right Philip Green, I don't really see how he could get the details wrong?

He's not talking about incidents that are unproven, he's talking about a very much real thing; a man who took out an injunction to prevent the reporting of having paid off 5 employees.

If I'm wrong on my interpretation, please let me know, but that's what I've taken from reading the pieces.
Original post by Drewski
Except in this instance, an injunction is recorded, so a known thing. The injunction will reference the people he's paid off, so a known thing.

So, as long as the Lord has the right Philip Green, I don't really see how he could get the details wrong?

He's not talking about incidents that are unproven, he's talking about a very much real thing; a man who took out an injunction to prevent the reporting of having paid off 5 employees.

If I'm wrong on my interpretation, please let me know, but that's what I've taken from reading the pieces.

He presumably got the injunction because he didn't want his name dragged through the mud, which is understandable. Identifying him by name in the Lords was a circumvention of that. Lord Hain took it upon himself to reveal his identity because he felt it was his moral duty. But it's a knobbish thing to do in my opinion, because this guy potentially might not have sexually harassed or abused anybody. We don't know yet, and neither does Hain.
He presumably got the injunction because he didn't want his name dragged through the mud

no, his character is what is muddy and he took out the injunction because he doesn't want everyone knowing what he's really like.
Reply 7
We should presume innocence until proven guilty, but rich people should not be able to buy court injunctions. If someone of any income deserves an injunction, it should be granted, and if they don't deserve it then the courts should not give it no matter what they pay. I'm glad the injunction's been broken. I will reserve my opinion on the veracity of the allegations should his employees choose to take him to court.

I also think NDAs should be void concerning genuine reports of a crime. That includes if the defendant is found not guilty (i.e. you can do it even if you end up not having enough evidence), but not if it's a proven false allegation (then the accuser should be in double trouble).

He presumably got the injunction because he didn't want his name dragged through the mud, which is understandable.

I'm not sure he was held in particularly high regard by the public anyway...
Reply 8
He presumably got the injunction because he didn't want his name dragged through the mud, which is understandable. Identifying him by name in the Lords was a circumvention of that. Lord Hain took it upon himself to reveal his identity because he felt it was his moral duty. But it's a knobbish thing to do in my opinion, because this guy potentially might not have sexually harassed or abused anybody. We don't know yet, and neither does Hain.

He may have, he may not. But either way we do have knowledge that a major businessman in the UK has paid hush money to protect his reputation. That is a fact that ought to be in the public domain, regardless of the possible damage to his image.

I wouldn't want to be Lord Hain if it turns out there's no tr tuth to these allegations, I can tell you.

They accused him of using NDAs to protect his reputation. Which he did.
I think investigations should be kept confidential until they conclude. Then name and shame.

Yep, keep everything on the down low.

You haven't learnt from the numerous cases of celebrity kiddie fiddlers, priests with a penchant for young boys and South Asian grooming gangs, have you?

Pedophiles and serial rapists across the country are in agreement with you. Keeping allegations discrete and away from the public is great if you want those people continue getting away with their crimes.

Obviously Philip Green has not been accused of anything this serious, but it is your sort of attitude that helps keep perpetrators of these really nasty crimes in business.
He presumably got the injunction because he didn't want his name dragged through the mud, which is understandable.

The injunction isn't worth the paper it is written on. These allegations are all over the net (perfectly legally). They can be discussed at length in every other country in the world bar England. Lord Hain has only used his parliamentary privilege to mention the elephant in the room. And when allegations are made against the businessman who owns half the high street, I think there is a reasonable cause for public interest. Are we suggesting Jimmy Savielle should have had the right to anonymity in his death?
Another example of the mob mentality overriding the rule of law, the John Warboys case was another one. Politicians trampling over it because they are no good for much better, joined-at-the-hip media because that is what what they are good for too. It's all about emotions these days, the left have succeeded in dragging it down to that level by design.
Original post by ByEeek
The injunction isn't worth the paper it is written on. These allegations are all over the net (perfectly legally). They can be discussed at length in every other country in the world bar England. Lord Hain has only used his parliamentary privilege to mention the elephant in the room. And when allegations are made against the businessman who owns half the high street, I think there is a reasonable cause for public interest. Are we suggesting Jimmy Savielle should have had the right to anonymity in his death?

It was the pressure by Labour MPs threatening to disclose it in the House that really killed that supposedly legally binding document. MPs defying the legislation passed by the House just to make themselves look 'tough' on harassment because that's the flavour of the month. Why does anyone care so much about any of this, it's going through the courts. Why are the media and Labour so concerned about it all? It's all nauseatingly self-serving, that's my humble opinion.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by zhog
Another example of the mob mentality overriding the rule of law, the John Warboys case was another one. Politicians trampling over it because they are no good for much better, joined-at-the-hip media because that is what what they are good for too. It's all about emotions these days, the left have succeeded in dragging it down to that level by design.

Why should money be able to buy the courts to give them anonymity? Either they deserve anonymity and should get it for free, or they don't and shouldn't be able to buy anything from the courts. I don't know if the allegations are true (have they even been formally made to the police?), but nobody should be able to buy favours from our courts.

Original post by zhog
It was the pressure by Labour MPs threatening to disclose it in the House that really killed that supposedly legally binding document. MPs defying the legislation passed by the House just to make themselves look 'tough' on harassment because that's the flavour of the month. Why does anyone care so much about any of this, it's going through the courts. Why are the media and Labour so concerned about it all? It's all nauseatingly self-serving, that's my humble opinion.

Was there an NDA blocking people from reporting crimes? This simply should not exist, at all, and it's corruption that someone can buy the courts to silence potential victims from coming forward. Yes he should be presumed innocent until proven guilty, but he's certainly not helping himself by corruptly silencing people under his power.
Was there an NDA blocking people from reporting crimes? This simply should not exist, at all, and it's corruption that someone can buy the courts to silence potential victims from coming forward. Yes he should be presumed innocent until proven guilty, but he's certainly not helping himself by corruptly silencing people under his power.

You mean that an NDA is a way of corruptly silencing victims, some people will see it as an agreement between two parties and that for one of them to renege may be legally questionable, it is all that vagueness that makes it a matter for the courts and best leave them to it. I think equating NDAs to corruption is probably a bit extreme, that's where we go different ways.
Original post by zhog
You mean that an NDA is a way of corruptly silencing victims, some people will see it as an agreement between two parties and that for one of them to renege may be legally questionable, it is all that vagueness that makes it a matter for the courts and best leave them to it. I think equating NDAs to corruption is probably a bit extreme, that's where we go different ways.

The courts are corrupt if they are issuing gagging orders (or any judgement) merely because they are paid.

The NDAs may be legitimate (secret recipes etc), but if someone's using them to cover up crime and then paying courts to enforce that silence, that needs to be broken up and Lord Hain has done us a service by starting that in this instance.
Original post by zhog

I agree that there is a balance between those in power and the judiciary. This sort of thing should not be allowed to happen all the time.

But are you are saying that if someone harasses someone, if they are sufficiently wealthy they can take out an injunction against them / pay them off so that the harassment remains unreported? Are you saying that harassment is acceptable and people who report it are just political correctness gone mad?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
I agree that there is a balance between those in power and the judiciary. This sort of thing should not be allowed to happen all the time.

But are you are saying that if someone harasses someone, if they are sufficiently wealthy they can take out an injunction against them / pay them off so that the harassment remains unreported? Are you saying that harassment is acceptable and people who report it are just political correctness gone mad?

I'm saying that these things are completely blown out of proportion by emotionally-manipulative political quacks whose existence depends upon it, with the complicity of all the media chasing a buck (private) or being political about it (the BBC). The rule of law is completely overrun by these second-rate characters, not fit to hold the positions they do in society.

There is a good book out by a retired immigration judge, exposing the incredible degree of fraud and manipulation within our asylum system. Armies of bent solicitors sucking a fortune out of public money, why can't the luvvies at the Beeb make that a scandal, I think it defies any notion of us living in a civilized society. Were they to attach their virtue-displaying to such matters (or the chasing of troops) and they would become a scandal, by deciding not to make them a story the BBC show well how complicit they are in all this sickening bull. Go and drag the families of the troops to the studio, arms around them and ask them what it's like for them, why isn't that happening at that bastion of social morality? Troops, yuk...

Who needs that when there is a rich white man to capture their attention so much more, Peter Green called someone fat in the office (allegedly), stop the world. I'm thinking of emigrating by now, the barbarians have crashed the gates and it's a depressing picture.

Lord Peter Hain, who identified him in the Lords, said it was his duty to name him, given the "serious and repeated" nature of the allegations.

I despise these characters.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending