The Student Room Group

How to get an Instagram username that's taken

I spent ages thinking of a username for a new Instagram brand I'm making my final name I could think of was from a past story I write inwhich I used this name for the location. I checked on Instagram and the name was taken however the last post was 2015 and they aren't followed by/ following much people so I'm guessing the account is dormant is there a way to get the username at all? Most of the names I thought of are taken
You can’t take a username if it’s already being used by someone else. You’ll just need to think of a new one.
Original post by Rohan007best
I spent ages thinking of a username for a new Instagram brand I'm making my final name I could think of was from a past story I write inwhich I used this name for the location. I checked on Instagram and the name was taken however the last post was 2015 and they aren't followed by/ following much people so I'm guessing the account is dormant is there a way to get the username at all? Most of the names I thought of are taken

In most cases, you cannot claim an inactive Instagram account. One of the reasons is that not all accounts that appear inactive actually are. Sometimes, people still use direct messages to talk to friends or scroll without interacting through likes or comments. Because of this, it's hard to tell which accounts actually fit the definition of inactive at first glance.

However, Instagram may give allowances to recognizable public individuals and businesses who hold trademarks when claiming truly inactive accounts. For this to happen, you can try to file a report that cites impersonation or trademark infringement. You will need to supply official and legal documents, such as government IDs and patents, to prove your identity or ownership over a recognisable brand.

As your new Intragram brand is clearly not a recognisable public individual or businesses, you're out of luck, I'm afraid. You'll just have to think of an even better name.

One option would be to contact the existing account and ask if they'd be willing to let you take it over, for a fee.
If the desired Instagram username is taken by an inactive account, reclaiming it directly is not possible. Options include contacting the user politely, exploring trademark claims with Instagram's support, or creating a unique variation. Alternatively, brainstorm alternative names that suit the brand and check availability on other platforms.

Quick Reply

Latest